Vettel joins redbull for 2009

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Vettel joins redbull for 2009
Date: July 18, 2008 05:42AM
Posted by: gareth
If Webber had signed for Renault and not Williams we'd probably be sitting here talking about how he is a four or five time GP winner as I'm sure he would have picked a couple up. Yes it's an if, but I've no doubt he'd have won the odd race or two given a front running car.

Would he win the championship? Probably not. Has he outperformed his teammates everywhere he's gone? Yes. Has his car let him down when in promising positions? Yes. Has he let himself down in promising positions? Also yes. Has he also put some great drives not only in qualy but in races? Absolutely.

Overrated? Definitely not.
Date: July 18, 2008 09:13AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Bruninho Wrote:
>
> It will be proved after DC's departure... Vettel
> is good in developing a car.

Might want to read up on your facts there son. Coulthard is not departing Red Bull, he is departing the race seat and will be developing the car in testing for RBR. How this will show Webber up as poorly as you say I am not sure.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 18, 2008 12:18PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i completely agree with both gav and gareth

Jagdpanzer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without fail he throws away his good grid
> positions in every race. His silly floundering
> about on lap 1 at Silverstone was simply an
> embarrassment to Red Bull and every fan of the
> team. Even in the dry you can bet that if he
> started in the top 5 he most likely isn't going to
> finish there.

could you give some other examples of where he gave away points positions.

yes, it was very disappointing what happened at silverstone, but i think you are exaggerating it a bit. i can think of several other drivers this year who have done things that i think are much more embarrassing.

to use an example, what about DC, how many accidents has he been in this year, not to mention taking out vettel at silverstone, on the same lap that webber was "simply an embarrassment to Red Bull and every fan of the team". how is that any different, not to mention taking out one of his 'teammates'

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 18, 2008 02:06PM
Posted by: marwood82
> > Bruninho Wrote:

>
> At RBR he is more 'low profile' now in this aspect
> (moaning), he doesnt moan that much (seems to have
> learned the lesson)

must have missied all this moaning.

i knew a couple of guys who worked for Jaguar a few years back. they couldn't speak highly enough of him as a person. Said he was great to work with and no one in the team felt he didn't deserve his chance to go to williams.

he clearly gets annoyed when the car lets him down or something happens to him when hes in a good position, but wouldn't anyone?
Date: July 18, 2008 02:42PM
Posted by: LS.
Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner has revealed that his team did not seriously consider signing Fernando Alonso for 2009.

The Milton Keynes-based squad announced at Hockenheim on Thursday that Sebastian Vettel will take over David Coulthard’s seat after the Scot retires from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

Vettel was always thought the most likely team-mate for Mark Webber, but there was speculation that RBR might also be holding out for the possibility of Alonso jumping ship from Renault.

However, while Horner emphasised his respect for the double world champion, he said the terms Alonso was looking for – most likely a single-year contract that would leave him free to move to Ferrari in 2010 if an opening arose – were not amenable to Red Bull.

“There’s one driver that potentially is key to the market and that driver is Fernando Alonso,” Horner told a news conference at Hockenheim.

“Fernando for us, on the terms that he was potentially looking for, would never have been an option.”

Horner added that, in any case, Red Bull had every confidence that Vettel was worthy of promotion from its ‘B’ team Toro Rosso to the senior squad.

“To be honest [Alonso] was an option that we didn’t even look particularly hard at, because in Sebastian we’ve got a driver vey much for the future,” he said.

“Obviously our objective was always to have the best two drivers in the car.

“In Sebastian we’ve got a very young driver who has proved his potential in the races he has done at the end of last year and this year. So for us it was an easy decision to take.

“There were obviously other drivers who showed interest.

“But at the end of the day Sebastian has been a part of the Red Bull family for several years now, all the way through karting and the lower formulas, and we’ve followed his progress with great interest.

“He’s here very much on merit.

“For us here, in Mark and Sebastian we’ve got one of the strongest 2009 driver line-ups in Formula 1.

“The team’s obviously making good progress and for us it’s important to have a drive line-up for the future as well.

“Sebastian is a driver who we’ll see continue to develop, continue to evolve and I think that we can give him the right environment to realise his full potential.

“He’s well-known to the team, he’s already tested for us in Barcelona earlier this year and he left a very good impression with all the engineers and the whole team during that test.

“And obviously because of the relationship between the two teams with the same parent, we’ve followed his progress very keenly over the last few months.

“When David announced his retirement, Sebastian was just an obvious choice.”

Horner said that having taken the decision RBR wanted to announce it at the earliest opportunity to minimise the disruption to both Red Bull-owned teams.

“We decided, why delay the inevitable? Here at Sebastian’s home race, the German Grand Prix, was an obvious time to announce the second driver.

“It both gives Red Bull Racing clarity in terms of what our driver line up will be, in terms of how we develop the car going forward, and also gives Toro Rosso time to evaluate their options for 2009.”

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 19, 2008 01:52AM
Posted by: matt3454
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Since
> then all we've ever heard is how quick he is, what
> a great qualifier, etc etc. He is without a doubt
> the most overrated driver in F1.
>

How many other drivers have got a front row grid spot with Jaguar and/or Red Bull.

Im not a Webber fan boy by any stretch of the imagination but i feel he is getting more stick than he deserves.

Date: July 19, 2008 08:30AM
Posted by: DaveEllis

How many other drivers have got a front row grid spot with Jaguar and/or Red Bull.

1 - Grid positions are not points paying.
2 - One swallow does not make a summer.

btw, those thinking his Jaguar performances were epic need to read up on the Jaguar tyre usage situation, which allowed him to do such "epic" laps, but cost time during the race. Maybe then you'll see why not everyone thinks Webber is some sort of god.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 19, 2008 11:15AM
Posted by: bender
Has anyone here actually compared the statistical data of Webbers qualifying and race results compared to his teammates?

I didn't think so.

I have - and Webber has had no teammate that could match him in qualifying in the same car - and that includes Rosberg and Heidfeld.

In the actual races only Heidfeld was his equal, all others (including Rosberg) were not a match for him!

Silverstone was a silly mistake, but perhaps some need reminding that after his lap 1 spin, Webber progressed from 18th to 10th in about 10 laps. Massa, driving the best car on the grid, managed to only go from 17th to 15th in the same amount of time!

I find it very amusing that so many are willing to heap praise on drivers like Vettel, Sutil, or Rosberg, who may have had only a couple of good races, but Webber, who spent much of his time at Williams running in the top 4 (until his car blew up), and now is running consistantly in the points, is seemingly an "incapable" driver.

It is perhaps even more amusing that Webber can't apparently help "develop" the cars he drives, and yet (as statistics prove) he still manages to out-qualify and out-race his teammates!

He must be awesomely talanted to be so fast consider how awfull he is at setting up a car!!
Date: July 19, 2008 12:09PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Well done vettel! He is a great driver and deserves to be in a car that should challenge for wins! Hopefully he and the redbull is up for it next year!

Date: July 19, 2008 01:05PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
apparently, webber's spin at silverstone was caused by a gearbox problem. it is touched on here in his autosport interview, and was also mentioned i believe yesterday in wheels' practice coverage. it was a problem with the shift from fourth to fifth supposedly.

i think it is the truth tbh, as i dont think webber is someone who would hide any errors he made, and since it is only coming out now it definitely could be possible. it did seem an unusual place to spin as well.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 19, 2008 06:28PM
Posted by: Racervieh13
It's great to see Vettel now in a better team. He is an aweseome driver, and I would bet if he gets a position in one of the top teams he could become another world champion! And he is living in the same part of germany as me ;)

CTDP 3D-Artist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy