Santander to Ferrari

Posted by msater 
Santander to Ferrari
Date: July 13, 2008 09:33AM
Posted by: msater
Hi,

Got this off the RaceSimulations.com website:

Reports that Fernando Alonso could be heading to Ferrari in the not-too-distant future have gained momentum with the news that Spanish company Santander is set to swap to Ferrari.

According to reports from Autosport 'high level sources' at Santander have confirmed that the Spanish banking giant will be leaving McLaren and heading to Ferrari as their main sponsors from 2010 onwards.

Santander joined McLaren as a sponsor in 2007 when the team initially signed Alonso, however, the Spaniard's stay in Woking was troubled and short-lived with him returning to Renault at the end of just one year.

Alonso, though, isn't expected to remain at Renault for too long with reports in the press linking him to Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari seat come the end of 2009 when the Finn's current deal expires.

And when that happens Santander are expected to announce their decision to swap from McLaren to Ferrari.

The Spanish banking giant, though, is refusing to comment on the proposed deal.

Asked about a move to Ferrari, a Santander spokeswoman said: "We are not making any comments about this.

"We have a contract with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes until the end of 2009."

source: Racesimulations.com

If this is true, and fernando Alonso is indeed moving to Ferrari, what's going to happen? Post your comments here.
Re: Santander to Ferrari
Date: July 14, 2008 12:19AM
Posted by: Frantic
Its gonna be their principal sponsor??? Doesen´t have a contract with Phillip Morris until 2011?

Date: July 14, 2008 02:03AM
Posted by: ro4die
hahahaha! the "españois" are dreaming with Alonso in Felipe's place in the Ferrari team!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Date: July 14, 2008 03:13AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
@Frantic, Phillip Morris can sell spots on the car to other companys. Thats why Etihad is on the rear wing.
Date: July 14, 2008 03:54AM
Posted by: Bruninho
I am not sure. but...

Kimi's contract is valid until 2009. The #2 contract goes up to 2010.

Phillip Morris contract, afaik is only valid until 2010 too.

However, Santander is rich enough to buy out the contract and ask them to put their driver. They (Santander) want to have Alonso with him.

And no, they are not dreaming, they are very capable of doing this. I'm hoping that it will happen. Watching a powerful car being wasted in the hands of Kimi's teammate is damn painful.

C'mon, "Scuderia Ferrari Santander" ! GO FERNANDO! LOL!

And ro4die, its "españoles" not "españois". :)

Date: July 14, 2008 06:57AM
Posted by: Guimengo
These are last-week rumours... Santander went to McLaren because of Alonso. There's talk they'll be paying Phillip Morris (who own all of Ferrari's advertising spots) about 34 million Euros a year, which would cover Alonso's salary.
Date: July 14, 2008 05:24PM
Posted by: ro4die
i'm sorry, rsrsrsrsrs... It was only one joke, becouse i think Fernando Alonso It will not win a race never more! hahahahahahaha! the time of him already passed... ahhh and "españois" or "españoles" whats difference has? hahahahahaha! its another joke... i don't wanna to ofend nobody!

The Brazilian pilots rules!!!

Thanks for all! Obrigado a todos!
Date: July 14, 2008 05:57PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Kinda related, but Santander just bought Alliance and Leicester for €1.5bn. But anyway...

This is the silly season, and Alonso's been linked with Ferrari for yonks. Hell, he was linked there whilst he was first at Renault, rumoured to be a replacement for Schumacher.

But I will say this. These days, it's becoming more common for teams to sign drivers on deals more than a year in advance, and delay the announcement (or not in the case of Montoya > McLaren). Kimi's Ferrari deal was done late '05, early '06.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 14, 2008 06:30PM
Posted by: Bruninho
don't forget that Alonso said that he will have a decision about his future in september.

The italian GP is in september and Ferrari, afaik always announces their next years driver line-up in september @ Monza.

It just makes the rumours a bit more stronger.

Date: July 14, 2008 06:45PM
Posted by: msater
i hope he doesn't move to ferrari, you saw what he did at mclaren last year...
Date: July 14, 2008 06:49PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i hope he doesn't move to ferrari, you saw what he
> did at mclaren last year...

what did we see then. was it all his fault. lets not go back to this story again please

Date: July 14, 2008 07:13PM
Posted by: IWE
Yes it was mostly his fault. He cannot face the fact, that he is not the fastest or the best driver on this planet.

Doesnt matter will he be driving against Kimi of Felippe, they are on level wich is gonna cause Alonso to blackmail his team and team mates again to look better in eyes of his fans.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 14, 2008 07:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
IWE schreef:
> Yes it was mostly his fault. He cannot face the
> fact, that he is not the fastest or the best
> driver on this planet.

+1

He wanted to be first driver, but he wasn't, which made him angry. You can hardly call that someeone elses fault.

what did we see then. was it all his fault. lets not go back to this story again please

You just did with giving your opinion on it...
Date: July 14, 2008 09:30PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
I think he just stays at renault.. somehow, I really, really cant see him go to either bmw or ferrari, he just doesnt fit with them ;) especially bmw, if he goes there he might end like Jacques ;)

Date: July 14, 2008 10:07PM
Posted by: gav
msater Wrote:
> i hope he doesn't move to ferrari, you saw what he
> did at mclaren last year...

Came within a point of winning a third consecutive title? What a failure.

I'd kill to see Alonso and Kimi in the same team. It would be Senna and Prost all over again. @#$%& Hamilton. I want to see that. Everything's pointing to a Kimi retirement at the moment though. I hope 2009 really invigorates him.
Date: July 14, 2008 10:22PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
gav schreef:
> msater Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i hope he doesn't move to ferrari, you saw what
> he
> > did at mclaren last year...
>
> Came within a point of winning a third consecutive
> title? What a failure.
>
> I'd kill to see Alonso and Kimi in the same team.
> It would be Senna and Prost all over again. @#$%&
> Hamilton. I want to see that. Everything's
> pointing to a Kimi retirement at the moment
> though. I hope 2009 really invigorates him.

yeh, but they where saying that in 2005 to, with kimi and montoya, look how it ended, would be great though.

Date: July 14, 2008 10:32PM
The difference being that both Kimi and Fernando are proven winners with 3 titles between them in 3 years. They know how to apply themselves at a race track. Montoya was great when things went his way, and I loved how he went about his racing (regardless of whether or not it was the best way), but when faced with a poor car or circumstances, he couldn't carry it like a Schumacher or Alonso could.
Date: July 14, 2008 11:13PM
Posted by: chet
wont be Senna-Prost on a personal level but a competitve level, maybe.

Ive always though Kimi had the edge of one lap and Alonso the complete edge, but this will really tell. Arguably and statistically the two best of the modern era.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 15, 2008 05:17AM
Posted by: Slash
gav Wrote:
> msater Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i hope he doesn't move to ferrari, you saw what
> he
> > did at mclaren last year...
>
> Came within a point of winning a third consecutive
> title? What a failure.

Not only that gav, what team would want to have Alonso driving for them, after he blackmail his team and team mates to look better in eyes of his fans? or what team would risk to have a driver that all of a souddens if he's not happy will react in such a way and start to talk BS about them?... i wonder

yet every team on the grid (not 100% sure if Mclaren does) wants to have him, doesn't that tells you something?

the only team i heard wants to have Hamilton driving for them is Williams, and i wonder why would that be...

Alonso in Ferrari would start another dominating era..
Date: July 15, 2008 09:34AM
Slash Wrote:
> Not only that gav, what team would want to have
> Alonso driving for them, after he blackmail his
> team and team mates to look better in eyes of his
> fans? or what team would risk to have a driver
> that all of a souddens if he's not happy will
> react in such a way and start to talk BS about
> them?... i wonder

He blackmailed the team? As far as I'm aware, this is all still just media conjecture.

Frankly, the way he acted, while a bit petulant, wasn't unmerited in my opinion. The team, save for a few on his side of the garage, will have wanted Hamilton to win. Certainly Ron and co did.

That he's acted the way he has this season I think says more about the man than how he acted last.

He's been selling his stock (who wouldn't if their contract was up?) but that's been about it. He's letting his driving do all the talking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy