McLaren tests anvil wing at Hockenheim

Posted by marcl 
Re: McLaren tests anvil wing at Hockenheim
Date: July 24, 2008 06:38PM
Posted by: IWE
Atleast honda didnt take that ugly engine cover wich they used last winter..

McLaren looks just more and more weird.. Anyway, for McLaren these wings somehow fits.

And Ferrari cud fix 90% their problems simply with changing their #1 pilot.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 24, 2008 06:50PM
Posted by: Bruninho
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Atleast honda didnt take that ugly engine cover
> wich they used last winter..
>

They used a version of RBR engine cover today @ Jerez.

EDIT: Screw that post, I didnt saw the photos in previous page. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 06:51PM by Bruninho.
Date: July 24, 2008 07:02PM
Posted by: IWE
Np.

And I was comparing the one they used today to this:

Atleast the one from today have some shape.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 27, 2008 08:15PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Latest anvil wing... I'm sure many of you were dreading this moment...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 27, 2008 08:22PM
Posted by: Nickv
IWE schreef:
> Np.
>
> And I was comparing the one they used today to
> this:
>
> [images.gpupdate.net]
>
> Atleast the one from today have some shape.. ;)

I'd rather have that one than those hideous anvil wings ;)
Date: July 27, 2008 08:27PM
Posted by: Monza972
As a ferrari fan, i really was. I don't see what how it makes a difference :s
Date: July 27, 2008 08:34PM
Stability. Apparently.
Date: July 28, 2008 01:34PM
Posted by: SAMF1
yeah, it dosent make a difference to massa driving

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2008 01:39PM by SAMF1.
Date: July 28, 2008 02:05PM
Posted by: marcl
Yuk I actually think it looks ok on a few cars but on the Ferrari its just horrid.
Date: July 28, 2008 02:17PM
Posted by: ferrariman
marcl Wrote:
> Yuk I actually think it looks ok on a few cars but
> on the Ferrari its just horrid.

I think its the awful marlboro barcode that makes it look bad
Date: July 28, 2008 03:02PM
Posted by: mcdo
That racquet handle sticking up from the t-cam looks even worse. Yes, yes, just for the test, better telemetry? What effect would that have on the performance of the anvil wing? As for that barcode, Ferrari should get Steinway as a sponsor. I can se Elton John playing a rear wing like that.
Date: July 28, 2008 03:21PM
Posted by: chet
The t-cam extension is just a pitot tube I imagine for measuring air pressures and velocitys, its high up because they have to work in laminar flow and out of the boundary layer, thats why on aircraft they stick quite far out sometimes.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 28, 2008 03:24PM
Posted by: gareth
horrendous. all of them. the cars look like lepers with bits of stuff all hanging off them everywhere. seems to be an engineers competition to see how much crap they can stick to side the cars. bring on next year for asthetics sake

having said that, am constantly blown away by the thought power going into the designs and the boffins who can tweak this and that to make them go faster
Date: July 28, 2008 03:26PM
Posted by: Bruninho
at least they could just put the anvil wing and make it moveable behind the #2 Ferrari rearwing, so that he could navigate in heavy wet races... haha.

Date: July 29, 2008 10:22PM
Posted by: LS.
Ferrari will race with the ‘shark fin’ engine cover on its F2008 for the first time in this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix – while it has also revealed the reason for its Hockenheim struggle.

The world champions became the latest team to try out the Red Bull-inspired extension at last week’s Jerez test, with it featuring on Felipe Massa’s car in the afternoon on Friday’s final day.

And the team has confirmed that it will run with the aero component, which improves air flow to the rear wing and helps braking stability, at the Hungaroring this week after positive feedback from its driver.

“Tomorrow, Luca Badoer will carry out a shakedown at Fiorano of the cars that will be used in Budapest,” it said in a preview.

“For the first time on a race weekend, the F2008 will be fitted with, amongst other new components, the ‘anvil’ engine cover, after Massa felt in Jerez that it brought some benefits.”

Ferrari’s main aim at last week’s pre-race test was to establish the reason for its poor pace at the previous round in Germany, where it was no match for Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren and finished third and sixth.

The team says its investigation involved a thorough data analysis, including comparison work on set-up and aero and mechanical parts at both the track and its Maranello factory.

It has now revealed that those tests concluded that the F2008’s German GP struggle had come about as a result of “tyre-related” issues on the particular day of the race, rather than a direct problem with the car's pace.

“The synthesis of those investigations is that in Hockenheim, it was not the car itself that had something wrong with it, in that the package was not worse than the previous one," it said.

"The major difference was tyre related and for a variety of reasons, Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa were unable to get the best out of the tyres during Sunday's race, even if there had been little sign of this difficulty over the previous two days of practice and qualifying,” he said.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 29, 2008 10:55PM
Posted by: Monza972
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: July 29, 2008 11:00PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: July 29, 2008 11:21PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
as long as it works then i dont care how ugly it is ;)

Date: July 30, 2008 01:05AM
Posted by: LS.
After the Hungarian gp Ferrari announce that their next step in developement of the 2008 car is a hand full of hollow tubes used for drinking liquid

The FIA have offically announced it as the "clutching at straws" strategy

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 30, 2008 08:18AM
Posted by: SAMF1
now toyota joining in

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy