Danica Patrick to test for Honda?

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
Danica Patrick to test for Honda?
Date: June 18, 2008 06:33AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Personally I don't think she is good enough for F1, but good old Nick Fry is leaving the door open apparently:

[en.f1-live.com]

"What we actually said was that if Danica wants to have a drive in our car at the end of the season, we'd be very open to the idea." Fry also insists that, contrary to speculation that the test would be purely promotional, Patrick would be in the running for a competitive position should she take up the offer of a Honda test. "These things are too expensive just to run for a bit of fun," he said. Fry said more than one test for Patrick, who tips the scales at a petite 45kg, would be the best option.

Wonder how she will do if it comes off? Certainly she couldn't be worse than Yamamoto and several others who drove or tested in F1 the last few years...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Re: Danica Patrick to test for Honda?
Date: June 18, 2008 07:11AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Publicity stunt despite what Nick the Douche says. Danica's weight advantage would be lost in F1 as cars must weigh the same with the driver in the car, and in F1 the guys are in far better shape too, some are between 10-15kg heavier than she is, not 20-25kg.
Date: June 18, 2008 08:39AM
Posted by: Ryoji
Guimengo schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Publicity stunt despite what Nick the Douche says.
> Danica's weight advantage would be lost in F1 as
> cars must weigh the same with the driver in the
> car, and in F1 the guys are in far better shape
> too, some are between 10-15kg heavier than she is,
> not 20-25kg.

but the weight difference to other drivers means honda engineers can better distribute weight to support better handling. so i'd say apart from driving skills it is an advantage to be small and lightweight as a driver.
Date: June 18, 2008 12:34PM
Posted by: autogyro
You actually need a good driver before you start thinking about weight distribution...
Date: June 18, 2008 01:42PM
Posted by: sasjag
Guimengo Wrote:
> Publicity stunt despite what Nick the Douche says.
> Danica's weight advantage would be lost in F1 as
> cars must weigh the same with the driver in the
> car, and in F1 the guys are in far better shape
> too, some are between 10-15kg heavier than she is,
> not 20-25kg.

FAIL :P

she doesnt have a weight advantge anymore in the irl, cars are weighed with driver as well now

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 18, 2008 01:55PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Surprised this is about Honda, seeing as they're pushing for a greener world; I personally can't see a woman driver being anything other than a disaster for the environment.. ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: June 18, 2008 02:11PM
Posted by: chet
lol.
Its just a test... will be a pr stunt or something.

Fry's latest comments on his drivers not being secure for 09 are more interesting... Though again, I think thats just a hurry up for Rubens and Jenson to sign!

Apart from Alonso, who else has Honda got who they could possibly sign?? And who would want to go to them ?? I wouldnt be supprised if both JB and Rubens are looking for a new drive, more specifically BMW... Neihter will get it if Alonso's on the market though. But yeah a few interesting things to come out of Honda recently.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 18, 2008 03:31PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Button maybe, but i doubt rubens will ever drive for another team, i think he will retire at the end of 2009 for honda personally

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 18, 2008 07:20PM
Posted by: marcl
Which Honda driver is doing the better job at the moment though? easy RB is.

I think Honda should replace both drivers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2008 07:21PM by marcl.
Date: June 18, 2008 08:07PM
Posted by: IWE
marcl Wrote:
> Which Honda driver is doing the better job at the
> moment though? easy RB is.
>
> I think Honda should replace both drivers.

And not only drivers.. Also different engines and people on background wouldnt be so bad thing for them. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 18, 2008 08:57PM
Posted by: dkpioe
IWE Wrote:
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Which Honda driver is doing the better job at
> the
> > moment though? easy RB is.
> >
> > I think Honda should replace both drivers.
>
>
> And not only drivers.. Also different engines and
> people on background wouldnt be so bad thing for
> them. ;)

theres nothing wrong with the engine. its powerful, and sounds amazingly great. problem is the sh**house car.

and it doesnt matter how much a driver weighs when they have ballast.
Date: June 18, 2008 10:12PM
Posted by: marcl
well the fia are talking about letting teams catch up to ferrari in terms of engine power as honda and renault produced engine which are quiet a bit behind the rest.

The engine is not meant to be at the same level as a lot of the others.
Date: June 18, 2008 10:16PM
I think its that Ferrari have found a larger performance gain than everyone else.

Personally I think its the other teams jobs to do the same. Amazingly the two teams who seem to be lowest on power are Honda and Toyota, yet a few years ago they had two of the most powerful engines, with Mike G even saying the TF engine was a championship winning one!

Date: June 18, 2008 11:08PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Or they could actually let engine development happen. I loved when they were hitting 20000 rpm, and with further development, they'd hit 21k!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 18, 2008 11:59PM
The engine freeze is good, and is saving money, unfortunatly its not saving money, and the money spent on the engines has probably gone on aero which because of the engine freeze became even more of an important factor lol. But no the engine freeze is good, i like it.

Date: June 19, 2008 12:17AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
This is the same as Kyle Busch testing the Toyota. Publicity, not a test.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 19, 2008 01:43AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Busch testing the Toyota? That sounds a PR stunt from the off, only because the 2 manufacturers are linked by name (the car and engine is prepared [and sold] in America). How did he do?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 19, 2008 01:52AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He hasn't done it. Toyota are doing a big PR day at Fuji later this year with all of their motorsport entries, and Busch will get to "test" the Toyota. Toyota say it is an official test, everybody knows it isn't.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 19, 2008 05:21AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Chet, the sudden idea of the engine rules lasting so long caused an expenditure of several times more what the normal development would have costed, the FIA should have pushed for better fuel mileage instead of engine lifetime.
Date: June 20, 2008 02:47PM
At the time yes, but now as Pat Symonds said a while back in a press conference they are making savings with these new regulations. Instead of making god knows many amounts of engines with all sorts of new developments which could possibly require new ways of machining, they are building half the amount of engines with very very developments.

btw, im not sure if it will mean anything but anyone remember a few weeks ago the anouncement of JB buying into a few of Hondas new HondaJet ?? He is the European launch customer for his business he wants to start lol... the Button - Honda relationship could extend further than F1 ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy