Flexi Wings

Posted by marcl 
Flexi Wings
Date: June 03, 2008 12:02PM
Posted by: marcl
The FIA have now told teams like Mclaren, rbr and toyota to secure their bridge wings to the nose of the car from this weekend to stop them flexing.

The news is on Autosport.
Re: Flexi Wings
Date: June 03, 2008 03:33PM
Posted by: IWE
Wow..Finally.. They are really fast!

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 03, 2008 03:41PM
Posted by: casabonka
Its a usual fantastic effort by the FIA to give them 2 days notice!!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: June 03, 2008 03:55PM
If teams were not informed before this weekend it is not safe for them to change the cars with no testing.

Not being funny but why now? is it because a none ferrari driver is leading lol :)

Mclaren can argue that they have had this in place for a year now and it was legal then.

I did say in turkey though the mclaren wing moved badly when they were following cars, and thats the race the fia looked at.

While they are at it they should say that areo devices on the sides of the cars should not move either.
Date: June 03, 2008 05:03PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
yh, they were fast enough to get ferrari to change theirs back in 06 (i think) so why did it take them so long to get on the cases of the other teams!

Date: June 03, 2008 05:22PM
Posted by: Nickv
It was so fast in 06 because the whole world saw the wings moving because of the cam next to them, even the FIA couldn't make up a story to make that legal.
Date: June 03, 2008 05:31PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
well isnt it the same with the mclaren wing. I saw it flexin before, its just that it doesnt show up as much as the ferrari one did.

Date: June 03, 2008 05:38PM
Posted by: Nickv
Date: June 03, 2008 05:42PM
Even it moves a lot more than Ferrari one did..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 03, 2008 05:42PM
Yep and the FIA looked at it and said it was legal, now its not.

But at least it will clear up any issues just the thing is people have not tested front wing with the bridge wing attached to it so it could be dangerous. They will probably just remove the bridge for this weekend until they can test and build a wing with the pillar, unless they already have. For all we know they could have been informed a few weeks back.

Just the timing seems strange someone must have complained or wanted something cleared up.
Date: June 03, 2008 06:00PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
casabonka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its a usual fantastic effort by the FIA to give
> them 2 days notice!!

we only have just found out, but i imagine the teams were told at least a few days ago

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 03, 2008 07:34PM
Posted by: Red Sam
You know, I remember the day when a "flexi wing" was something you'd only hear about on an advert for Always Ultra...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: June 03, 2008 09:15PM
Posted by: n00binio
perhaps some f1 cars are female...
Date: June 03, 2008 09:28PM
Posted by: Craigo
I cant imagine it being dangerous, all it is like the R28 has with a tiny pillar.
Date: June 03, 2008 10:13PM
Posted by: gav
Yup. I piece of balsa wood with a bit of glue would probably be enough. ;)

Seriously - it's hardly the most imaginative thing to have to cook up in a few days. Make a stick of something (be it metal or plastic in the meantime, both readily available from around the corner, then design a proper piece from composites if it's too late already.

It's not a challenge, it's just people making mountains out of mole hills. It's not going to change the course of the race, even if the bit they do fix fails. They're hardly going to be punished for a 1-off, 2-day botch-job. We might end up with a debris caution of course. ;)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:07AM
Its not as simple as that though you can not just stick a support on, it will break under high loads. It needs to be made as a unit like the renualt one.

They only really have friday to test the changes and we have all seen what happens when front wings fail. Its bloody dangerous to ask teams to do this 2 days before a gp.

They should let them use them this weekend and change them for the next race.
Date: June 04, 2008 07:37AM
If they add some piece beetween bridge and nose, those wings are going to be only stronger than before.

If teams would get time till next race, only difference what it would make is that these pieces might be more integrated, shaped and few grams lighter like Renault one is atm.

Edit:
And after refreshing memory I can see also Renault is using just piece of metal wich is not connected so special way.

Actually I feel sorry for them, if they needed so many hours for designing and making this:

;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2008 07:50AM by IWE.
Date: June 04, 2008 10:54AM
Posted by: gav
marcl Wrote:
> Its not as simple as that though you can not just
> stick a support on, it will break under high
> loads. It needs to be made as a unit like the
> renualt one.
>
> They only really have friday to test the changes
> and we have all seen what happens when front wings
> fail. Its bloody dangerous to ask teams to do
> this 2 days before a gp.

Actually it can be that simple, as the loads generated aren't as high as a wing, as it's (usually) not a downforce generating component. Even aluminium would be sufficient. It's not going to be a straight, flat part - they'll make it cylindrical for now if they have to. It'll make very little difference, either through weight or aerodynamically. They'll manufacture some proper ones for the next race, but there'll be no real advantage - just teams trying to eek as much as possible from as little as possible.

I agree it should have been done before now, but this is hardly a technical master stroke they have to pull off... this is the world's most advanced racing series - they can machine up a couple supports in a local garage if needs be, though I'm sure most teams will have the necessary equipment on site.

Dumb as the FIA are, they won't have implemented this so close to a race if they thought it was completely unsustainable.

Of course, they could just use duct tape, NASCAR style.
Date: June 04, 2008 01:25PM
Posted by: gin
marcl Wrote:
> The FIA have now told teams like Mclaren, rbr and
> toyota to secure their bridge wings to the nose of
> the car from this weekend to stop them flexing.
>
> The news is on Autosport.

how funny that when I mentioned that McLaren bridge wing was flexing in Turkey people on here said that they were not moving or that they are allowed. told you! :p

Date: June 04, 2008 02:27PM
If you read the report on Autosport though they were passed legal by the FIA.

They are just doing this to stop any doubt by the looks of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy