Marco Andretti claims McLaren sabotage dad's chances

Posted by Renault#1Fan 
Andretti Says Team Tried to Sabotage Dad
By CHRIS JENKINS,AP
Posted: 2008-05-21 23:56:06

INDIANAPOLIS (May 21) - Although Marco Andretti would jump at the chance to race in Formula One if the right team came calling, his eyes are wide open to the sport's dark side of politics and backstabbing.

And the third-generation member of one of racing's most famous families doesn't have to look far to find an example of the circuit's ruthless nature: His father, Michael, drove in the elite international series in 1993 and came away looking like a failure.

But Marco said the team his father drove for, McLaren, went out of its way to make sure he didn't get a fair shake.

"If you ask me, it was sabotage," Andretti told The Associated Press on Wednesday, as he prepared for Sunday's Indianapolis 500. "It was."

According to conventional racing wisdom, Michael Andretti didn't succeed in his lone F1 season because he wasn't committed enough, wasn't properly prepared or simply didn't measure up.

But Marco said people don't know "the real story" behind his father's poor performance that year, insisting the team tried to make his dad look bad so they could get rid of him and make room for a promising young driver - Mika Hakkinen, who would go on to win two world championships.

"They wanted him to fail," Andretti said. "I don't know, it was a very bad deal. The reality of it was, they had Mika Hakkinen ready to come in for a lot less than what my dad was getting paid, and that's all it was. Right then and there, they had to make him look (bad)."

Andretti said McLaren's efforts to sabotage his father's career went beyond simply giving better cars and engines to his teammate, Ayrton Senna - something that might be expected, given Senna's status as a three-time world champion. Andretti insists the team intentionally made his father's cars more difficult to drive.

"They would make the car do weird things in the corner electronically, stuff out of his control," Marco Andretti said.

The situation only improved, Andretti said, when Senna stepped in.

"And I think my dad's biggest supporter over there was Ayrton Senna," Andretti said. "Because he was one of the few who knew what was really happening in the team, and I think he believed in my father. It was Monza that he really said, 'Give him my car. Give him exactly what I had."'

Michael Andretti finished third in the 1993 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, his only top-three finish of the season. It didn't matter, as Andretti was replaced by Hakkinen in the final three races of the season and returned to race in the U.S.

A McLaren team official did not immediately answer a request for a response to Andretti's comments. Senna died in a crash at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994.

Michael Andretti didn't want to go into detail about the '93 season, but didn't deny his son's version of the story.

"I'm not going to go into all of it," Michael Andretti said. "Let's just say it was not a pleasant experience. It was a time where I think I was sort of caught in a political battle of auto racing, and because of that wasn't a very good experience."

But Michael said he understood why Marco would speak out, saying he probably would do the same thing if something similar happened to his father, racing legend Mario Andretti.

"If my dad went through that, I would obviously probably approach it a different way and tell that story," Michael Andretti said. "But it sounds like sour grapes coming from me."

So given all that baggage, why would Marco Andretti want to try F1?

"Because I want to tackle it, you know what I mean?," he said.

Marco Andretti tested a Honda F1 car in 2006, but he isn't willing to make the jump unless it is with a team that can win. He believes the F1 establishment wants him to fail, too.

"I don't have any other mentality other than to go over there and win," Andretti said. "Because I think it's a bigger story if I go over there and fail, really. It really is. Because that's what people are waiting for, to be honest, over there."

Andretti, 21, enjoys IndyCar racing and says he could foresee spending the rest of his career in the series. But he concedes that IndyCar, which races mostly on oval tracks, isn't the best place to attract attention from F1 teams that race on road courses.

"The reason it's tough right now is, if I go win Kentucky, Ferrari's not going to come say, 'Hey, we want you,"' he said. "But maybe (winning) a series championship and the Indy 500, that could help."

Michael believes his son has the potential to race in F1, but also thinks he might find happiness by staying in IndyCar.

"He's one of the bright young stars here in America, and open-wheel racing I think now is about ready to rocket (in popularity)," Michael Andretti said. "I think there's something to that, for him to look at that, to think, 'Maybe I can help take IndyCar racing to the top.' I'm sure that's in the top of his mind."
I wonder if that was Marco's bedtime story, or something that comes up after a glass or two at the dinner table...

Although that's no reason not to back up the old man and an employer ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 11:31PM by tripleM.
Thats going to help his chances to get an F1 drive...

Wonder if his daddy told him he was too arrogant to move to England whilst with the team, so when a test was needed, there was Mika who was a phone call away, or Mario who was ONLY a 7 hour flight away.

Jerk.
Never mind a glass or 2, what the f**k was he smoking? McLaren wouldn't do that, they didn't do it last year, they wouldn't have done it 15 years ago, and they wouldn't have done it when Prost and Senna were in the team.

Andretti's down-fall was not moving to Europe, he'd fly back to America. As I understand it, he didn't test enough (Hakkinen did the testing in 1993, and Senna wasn't testing whilst his immediate future was in doubt), and while the 1993 breed of cars were very technologically advanced, they were difficult to drive. TC wasn't really a given back then, and certainly wasn't as sophisticated as the later incarnations the following decades. The McLaren wasn't the best car on the grid, it was probably down on the Benetton (certainly the engine was, but that's Ford and Flav's fault), and only had the success it did because of luck and Senna.

Indycars I think suited just suited his style far more. When Mansell made the switch, he had to adjust to a sequential gear lever having had his gear changing on the steering wheel for 4 years, a much heavier car, no TC, an engine with a turbocharger, and ovals. He did alright out of it.

There's a reason why Andretti never won the Indy 500. I hope Marco never wins it, because if he's whinging like that, he doesn't deserve to.

I hope Wilson gets a podium, since he needs a decent result this year.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

I read this before and just found it funny tbh. Even in Italy he crashed and needed a new front wing, he got 3rd as so many people stopped.

All his races very realy lasted a lap.

Brazil crashed at the start, hungry both him and senna had the same problem from memory with the throttle, imola he messed up but had brake problems senna broke down, Germany crashed from memory, silverstone crashed again monaco crashed and stalled donnington crashed south africa crashed and stalled at the start. Spain did ok france was well on the pace.

I can not remember how he done in the other races tbh.

About the engine senna fought to get the better engine and the only race they did not have the same one was at silverstone as there were not enough available. Senna did not even have a years contract it was a race by race. Micheal is never going to admit he was over weight did not test etc.

Mika took over crashed in portugal 3rd in japan and had break probs in australia so did they affect his car as well lol.

Mclaren would not do that there is to much money involved and driver safty why sign him if they did not want him?

He could not get used to all the electrics in the car simple as that and made error after error he did not test enough as he would not move to europe.

There u go.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 12:12AM by marcl.
marcl schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> He could not get used to all the electrics in the
> car simple as that and made error after error he
> did not test enough as he would not move to
> europe.
>
> There u go.

He's from the US of A. They don't have sophisticated cars there, neither on track nor road.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Sapo Wrote:
> marcl schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > He could not get used to all the electrics in
> the
> > car simple as that and made error after error
> he
> > did not test enough as he would not move to
> > europe.
> >
> > There u go.
>
> He's from the US of A. They don't have
> sophisticated cars there, neither on track nor
> road.

How nice of you. Do you consider it sophisticated in ANY aspect that Shelby Super Cars has car on the road faster than the Veyron? What a massive generalization you've made. Ford and Chevy aren't the only American car manufacturers out there.

Back on topic.

I don't know why the hell Marco needs to bring this up, true or not, carrying out these family vendettas is not going to help any of his chances in F1, nor will it help his IndyCar career. Interesting note about Senna though.
Good to see you noticed I did generalize.

On the other hand, that Shelby can't go through a corner without destroying itself, the driver and possible most other organisms around, while a Veyron should be able to take a corner with horrific speeds.

But then again, a Ford Focus isn't too bad. ;)

THE SIG

Sapo Wrote:
> On the other hand, that Shelby can't go through a
> corner without destroying itself, the driver and
> possible most other organisms around, while a
> Veyron should be able to take a corner with
> horrific speeds.
>

The Shelby corners very well actually going by what reviews and video's I've seen. The Veyron was a technical exercise which just happened to end up in production. The only reason it's so quick is because it has 4WD and 4 enormous turbo chargers strapped to the side of an 8 litre engine. 8 litres by the way. And 4 turbos. The thing weighs more than my house.

The Shelby is still oversized (6.4l twin turbo from memory) but half the turbos and half the cylinders and still capable of 1190hp.

You can call American cars crap (theres plenty to pick from) but at least they have a long and in places excellent motoring history.

[/rant]

Andretti is a tool. Both of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 02:28AM by zeppelin101.
Ai, Uncle Sam got angry it seems. ;)I got myself in an American-car discussion I didn't want to start, but I guess that's my own mistake. Next time I shall use the [sarcasm] tags etc.

On the whole, some American cars cán actually corner. Shame only they don't have corners in the USA.

Oh dear, did I generalize again?

THE SIG

zeppelin101 Wrote:
> The Shelby corners very well actually going by
> what reviews and video's I've seen. The Veyron was
> a technical exercise which just happened to end up
> in production. The only reason it's so quick is
> because it has 4WD and 4 enormous turbo chargers
> strapped to the side of an 8 litre engine. 8
> litres by the way. And 4 turbos. The thing weighs
> more than my house.

Its also got as many radiators as a house, with 11 of them to keep everything cool. There's even a radiator just to keep the hydraulic fluid for the rear spoiler cool

hate to upset anyone... but the Focus is German made, and is apprently going to be aussie made from next year or 2010.
The new Ford Ka and the new Fiat 500 are both the same car underneath, where they're made in Poland.
So Fords made in Aussieland isn't exactly a shock.

Graham Rahal ftw

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Why would anyone care about what Marco has to say? His dad only did well in the US, his grandpa had a bit more talent and in the end of the day won the title (yes, clear #1 but so was Emerson in 1 of his years)
Guimengo Wrote:
> Why would anyone care about what Marco has to say?

Exactly! In my opinion whole family can stay on ovals or atleast behind the ocean.

But its easy to beleave sabotage and other thiskind stuff about McLaren & Dennis. Any other team doesnt do so much @#$%& behind the scenes. And its widely known Dennis was big Mika fan already before Mika did even sit in F1 car for first time.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
@Sapo, I disagree with that comment on American cars, our cars have improved alot, Ford is now on par with Toyota in quality now, I just think that the Koreans have jumped over them all. And last year Mercedes ranked lowest in car quality over here.

@turkey_machine, that is crap, there is no doubt that McLaren screwed Alonso. Fuji was a good example, Fernando is one of the best in the rain and barely ran in the points before crashing. And China, was right with Hamilton in Q1 & Q2. And then almost 7 tenths off with the strategy the team choose, screwed DC out of wins too. Whose knows what they did to DC's and Montoya's cars. McLaren have no class just like Ferrari and thats a fact.
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
> @turkey_machine, that is crap, there is no doubt
> that McLaren screwed Alonso. Fuji was a good
> example, Fernando is one of the best in the rain
> and barely ran in the points before crashing. And
> China, was right with Hamilton in Q1 & Q2. And
> then almost 7 tenths off with the strategy the
> team choose, screwed DC out of wins too. Whose
> knows what they did to DC's and Montoya's cars.
> McLaren have no class just like Ferrari and thats
> a fact.

Renault screwed Fisichella last year. See? I can make unsubstantiated claims based on nothing more than opinion too ;)

Mclaren could sue Marco over them comments.
Haha, Fisi only got screwed last year??

I dont think McLaren will even worry about it, Marco should've chosen a non GP weekend to make his sob story, as by 2pm Sunday, everyone would have forgotten about him!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy