Speed traps

Posted by peppekk 
Speed traps
Date: April 29, 2008 05:37AM
Posted by: peppekk
Hi all,
I was just reviewing f1.com to see infos about all tracks.
I have two questions regarding speed traps:
1. Is speed trap really showing the max speed at given straight? Or is it just speed at the given point?
2. Which year did they change speed traps in Silverstone and Spa? In Silverstone (according to f1.com) now trap is just before Maggots and I believe in the past it was at the end of Hangar straight. For Spa now trap is just after Eau Rouge and I believe previously it was just before Les Combes.
I didn't capture these changes.

Pep
Re: Speed traps
Date: April 29, 2008 06:18AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
1 - The Speed Trap is the speed at which the car crosses the speed trap line(s). I say lines because obviously you need more than 1 line to get the speed. It isn't the speed at the end of the straight, or the max archived on the lap, only over that specific speed trap.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 29, 2008 07:39AM
Posted by: Sapo
It has to be very sensitive, and on a short interval, if a speedtrap is just after Eau Rouge. As the speed changes in a corner, it doesn't show a topspeed if they measure the distance divided by time before the corner till after. Then you'll get an average which is lower i think than the actual speed after the corner. (Same for a straight on which cars accelerate most of the distance, until they reach the actual topspeed).

So I guess the have a very small distance and time measurement to come as close to the actual speed as possible...

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: April 29, 2008 08:30AM
Posted by: peppekk
I agree with you Sapo.
For sure, they don't measure top speed before and after Eau Rouge, but they measure it on short interval just after Eau Rouge. Probably they are doing it in this place to show the audiance how fast F1 cars just after famous corner.
Is just that I don't know at which year they located there speed trap. Have a look at f1.com

Pep
Date: April 29, 2008 09:27AM
Posted by: kimiraik
I remember M.Schumacher exiting Eau Rouge at 321 kmh in 2002, setting a record. So in 2002 the speed trap was there...but maybe there is another before Les Combes..
Date: April 29, 2008 12:35PM
Posted by: Slash
yep, and at some circuits they are located at the end of the longuest straight, so at some circuits it is the max they reach at the circuit, well actually not the max, but pretty close because they move it a bit behind the braking area, like 20 mtrs or so, but at that point in a F1 car, they have reached pretty much almost the top speed, i would say the differnce could be 2-4 kph before the braking area

For example, in Monza, it is almost certain that the speed trap is located on the straight that the car reaches is maximum speed, the front straight, but it is still a bit before the braking zone, so they probably reach a bit more...

i guess the only way to read the max speed of each car at the circuits would be reading the telemetry
Date: April 29, 2008 01:15PM
Posted by: gav
They've messed it up in the past too by putting it just before the braking point of the leaders, and it was messing up the speed for half the field. Can't remember where or when it was though.

It's frequently wrong in wet-races for the same reason - the cars are braking before the end of the speed-trap 'zone' (which is probably all of a metre long).
Date: April 29, 2008 05:04PM
Posted by: NickKK
This raises the question of how they can measure corner apex speeds for everyone and not top speeds...

Date: April 29, 2008 05:35PM
Posted by: chet
Probably some way through the FIA standard transponder they get. That is a nice feature. I quite like it.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 30, 2008 12:21AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
NickKK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This raises the question of how they can measure
> corner apex speeds for everyone and not top
> speeds...

The car are all fitted with a GPS system. This is also how FOM can display the map of where the cars are on circuit.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 30, 2008 11:05AM
Posted by: Fincent
The speed trap at Interlagos is actually just before the braking zone for a corner (T1 i think). The only reason I remember this is because a few years back when it rained, the speed traps were massively slower (cos the cars were braking earlier, and therefore catching the speedtrap while slowing down) and Brundle was having one of his moments of technical excellence by pointing it out to us lol.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: May 03, 2008 10:08PM
Posted by: Briere
gav Wrote:
> They've messed it up in the past too by putting it
> just before the braking point of the leaders, and
> it was messing up the speed for half the field.
> Can't remember where or when it was though.

Interlagos and Silverstone I think. At Interlagos, in 2003, Rubens had a "top speed" around 304 kph, while Montoya had 317. Means that those who brake earlier give us a lower speed at that point. Same goes with Silverstone, where Speed Trap is/was just before Abbey. In 2003, Coulthard was around 280 kph at that point and Rubens, who set pole, only 258 kph.

kimiraik Wrote:
> I remember M.Schumacher exiting Eau Rouge at 321
> kmh in 2002, setting a record. So in 2002 the
> speed trap was there...but maybe there is another
> before Les Combes..

Yes, Split 1 is right there ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy