Ferrari's lollipop replacement

Posted by aagancia 
Ferrari's lollipop replacement
Date: April 08, 2008 11:22AM
Posted by: aagancia
Ferrari has been using some sort of electronic replacement for their lollipop in pits. Does anyone have any idea how it works?

Is there one man trigerring the lights remotely? or;

Does every crew working on the car have to press a button, and when all is pressed it gives out a green light?

Re: Ferrari's lollipop replacement
Date: April 08, 2008 12:23PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Ted Kravitz first noticed it at Shanghai last year (click me), I think they've been using it since then. I think it works on sensors linked to when the fuel hose is released from the car, and another when it's off the jacks.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 08, 2008 12:26PM
Posted by: fongu
Used it since Spa last year since the last time someone got caught up in an accident. No idea how it works though!

Date: April 08, 2008 12:28PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I think the fuel guy controls the light.

Eg, Goes green when he presses button after finishing fuel.

Date: April 08, 2008 12:41PM
Posted by: marcl
I think its controlled by the pit wall. Using the fuel is no good incase a tyre is stuck.
Date: April 08, 2008 12:44PM
Posted by: Nickv
Having it controlled by the pitwall would be rather pointless. The light is linked to something. It's to win the .2s reaction time from the lollipop man. If it's manually controlled by the pit wall you wouldn't win that. And on top of that, a lollipop man can see much better when things are done than someone at the pitwall.
Date: April 08, 2008 12:48PM
Posted by: gav
And if a car's coming down the pit-lane. Different lights too - I noticed some red ones and a green one. Presumably one for each wheel, one for the fuel hose and one master light to give confirm the pit-lane is clear (which can be done half-way through the stop, as you know if something is coming or not well in advance) which is only activated once the rest of the stop has been done. Could be fun during a safety car period or a sudden rain shower though.

Still, this is Ferrari - they don't do silly errors that often. It's going to have been tested in every situation to make sure it's fool-proof. Even Filipe knows how to read it.
Date: April 08, 2008 12:48PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Im sure i read it somewhere that it is controlled by the fuel guy. Ill try look it up.

Date: April 08, 2008 12:56PM
Posted by: casabonka
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> in every situation to make sure it's fool-proof.
> Even Felipe knows how to read it.

Haha I love it, Felipe Proof!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 12:57PM by casabonka.
Date: April 08, 2008 03:50PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
He did seem quite slow exiting his box at the weekend. Did anyone else notice that?

[Website]
Date: April 08, 2008 03:52PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
In Australia they said on Dutch television that when the fuel tank is full that the light goes green.

Date: April 08, 2008 04:03PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
If memory serves, Red Bull demonstrated how the fuel rig holder knows when the fuel is in the car, and it's basically the Ferrari system but with LEDs in the helmet, so red to say it's ready, amber to say it's filling the tank, green to say it's finished dispensing.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 08, 2008 04:18PM
Posted by: Paco
turkey_machine Wrote:
> If memory serves, Red Bull demonstrated how the
> fuel rig holder knows when the fuel is in the car,
> and it's basically the Ferrari system but with
> LEDs in the helmet, so red to say it's ready,
> amber to say it's filling the tank, green to say
> it's finished dispensing.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If it doesn't show up here,

click me!

I'm against sigpics
Date: April 08, 2008 04:59PM
Posted by: Nickv
I clicked you, but still nothing ;)
Date: April 08, 2008 11:46PM
Posted by: casabonka
Great Vid thanks.

And yes, I think both drivers were a bit sluggish getting away from the pits in both stops. Massa seemed fine in his 2nd stop, but still slow.
Date: April 09, 2008 04:40AM
Posted by: zeramones
I don't like that stupid thing...
Looks like a robot...
>.<
Date: April 09, 2008 06:00AM
Posted by: slicer
well i did notice that there was a random Ferrari guy just standing off to the side holding what appears to be a remote or something. He could be the one controlling the lights....
Date: April 09, 2008 08:16AM
Posted by: IWE
turkey_machine Wrote:
> If memory serves, Red Bull demonstrated how the
> fuel rig holder knows when the fuel is in the car,
> and it's basically the Ferrari system but with
> LEDs in the helmet, so red to say it's ready,
> amber to say it's filling the tank, green to say
> it's finished dispensing.

And same/similiar thing was used atleast by Ferrari already before RedBull did enter F1 as own team. Same led system have been also atleast tested with helmet of MS in times when it was fashion to put all possible tecnical stuff into driver helmets like for example rew counter..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: April 09, 2008 03:33PM
Posted by: marcl
This was tested years ago by Lotus I think it was either 1992 or 1993 I remember Herbert talking about it and showing it on TV.
Date: April 10, 2008 12:50AM
Posted by: Slash
the question is, being F1 such a competitive sport, where every single little tenth counts... how much time do they actually gain with this technology, or do they just have it for safety reasons? (the lollipop guy could missjudge when the car is ready to go)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy