Is the F1 recorded in HD

Posted by matt3454 
Is the F1 recorded in HD
Date: April 06, 2008 08:46PM
Posted by: matt3454
Are the races recorded in HD like most other stuff is now?

I hope so as BBC would be likely to broadcast the HD feed on their HD channel. (I dont think ITV currently have a HD channel)

Re: Is the F1 recorded in HD
Date: April 06, 2008 10:09PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
No not yet, not even Japan and America get F1 in HD, and traditionally they usually get it first.

I believe in Britain they would bring it in slowly, starting by just having the British Grand Prix in HD, see how its recieve and what not.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: April 07, 2008 12:59AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
IS there actually a difference, like... really?

I can't tell the difference.
Date: April 07, 2008 05:48AM
Posted by: Briere
I watched the Malaysian GP on RDS HD, and it looked as good as true HD, although I knew it was upscaled SD.
Date: April 07, 2008 10:45AM
Posted by: mp4-dave
On the BBC radio coverage someone e-mailed in and asked about HD. The commentator said the reason it isn't in HD already is because the cameras aren't small enough yet to be used on-board the cars and so it would keep switching from Hi-Def to Standard Def.

I walk through walls and inanimate obstacles
By educed a reduction of cells and molecules
Date: April 07, 2008 11:06AM
Posted by: ferrariman
mp4-dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the BBC radio coverage someone e-mailed in and
> asked about HD. The commentator said the reason it
> isn't in HD already is because the cameras aren't
> small enough yet to be used on-board the cars and
> so it would keep switching from Hi-Def to Standard
> Def.

A Valid Point Indeed!
Date: April 07, 2008 12:42PM
mp4-dave Wrote:
> On the BBC radio coverage someone e-mailed in and
> asked about HD. The commentator said the reason it
> isn't in HD already is because the cameras aren't
> small enough yet to be used on-board the cars and
> so it would keep switching from Hi-Def to Standard
> Def.

Indy Racing League and Nascar don't seem to have any problems with them :\

Date: April 07, 2008 03:00PM
Posted by: marwood82
loque Wrote:
> IS there actually a difference, like... really?
>
> I can't tell the difference.

to be honest it depends on your TV.

less than 32" you won't notice it much

but on bigger tv's trust me there is big difference.

and its not just the higher pixel resolution, the colour's are more vivid and the backgrounds much sharper.

With Sky sports they broadcast football and rugby in both SD and HD.

watch the HD for a bit then switch back to the SD coverage, its like watching a movie on VHS after just seeing it on DVD.

its a shame its taking them so long to sort out HD in F1 as it really would add to the coverage.

technical issues asside, maybe they're worried about getting burnt again like they did with the F1 digital channel?
Date: April 07, 2008 05:58PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That wouldn't actually matter. If the whole broadcast was in HD, and they're certainly capable of it (the onboard cameras would take some shrinking, but that's it), then they don't have to worry about being "burnt" because HD is automatically down-sized to SD for those not HD capable. Sky use the same cameras for HD as they do SD. All that changes is the encoder dimensions.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 08, 2008 07:43AM
Posted by: Guimengo
F1 in HD would be sensational, it makes a massive difference HD and SD, like it was mentioned before if you have an HDtv and you can switch between two channels broadcasting the same thing but in different resolutions you'll definitely notice big time the clear and sharp image, the bright colors, the better sound
Date: April 08, 2008 12:54PM
Posted by: gav
Obviously a lot depends on how far away from the TV you are though. I can watch YouTube videos on my 24" monitor, but clearly the further away you are, the better they look. If I'm on my bed they give the illusion of not being all that far off SD DVD quality. Up close they're completely indecipherable. I wasn't aware the sound had changed though (I've not got particularly sensitive ears anyway, so I'm not bothered personally).

By the way, up-scaling SD sucks. It's usually better than not doing it, but the difference is marginal.
Date: April 08, 2008 01:39PM
with HD broadcast the sound for example can be set to level 5 instead of a level 15-20 on analogue, if that makes sense :p
Date: April 08, 2008 03:47PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Surely that just means it's louder, which doesn't really make a lot of odds.

[Website]
Date: April 08, 2008 07:01PM
gav Wrote:
> I wasn't aware the sound had
> changed though (I've not got particularly
> sensitive ears anyway, so I'm not bothered
> personally).

It isn't any different imo.... Only difference is with HD Boxes, they support Dolby Digital so most HD broadcasts have Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, which is quite noticable for races :)

> By the way, up-scaling SD sucks. It's usually
> better than not doing it, but the difference is
> marginal.

That all depends on the unit, PC's upscaling is awful and so is TV's inbuilt upscalers. However Denon's range of DVD Players with upscaling are well known to be very good abeit expensive, cheapest I found was £79.99, thats why in reviews sometimes its commonplace for people to say when a movie hasn't been made for HD properly, may as well just get the cheaper DVD and upscale it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 07:11PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: April 08, 2008 11:36PM
Posted by: marcl
ITV had not got HD simple as that.

From what i understand next year F1 will be shown on bbc HD as well as normal.
Date: April 14, 2008 02:30PM
marcl Wrote:
> ITV had not got HD simple as that.

> From what i understand next year F1 will be shown on
> bbc HD as well as normal.

Well its not really as simple as that, America and Japan don't have F1 in HD and they have had plenty of HD channels for a few years now. Over here in the UK HD still isn't popular and won't be popular for a few years yet, SkyHD is the only way atm that people can get HD Broadcasts, BBC and ITV are setting up FreeSat which will have all Freeview channels + HD channels, but that won't be launched until ITV launches ITV HD (Which is very close) and Channel 4 HD signs up to FreeSat, earliest I reckon will be end of 08 at best. FreeviewHD is currently replacing Analog, but that isn't due to be completed over the country till 2012.

Whether this will be all set up and in place before the 2009 F1 Season is debatable to be honest, and this isn't even taking into account whether the FIA will dig their heels in with upgrading their own equipment to HD, which seen as how long it took them just to get widescreen on the go, is likley. imo the best UK can hope for with F1 in HD, its getting just the British Grand Prix in HD next year as a test, we maybe lucky and get the British GP this year in HD for a test, if everything goes to plan with ITV HD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2008 02:41PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: April 14, 2008 11:14PM
F1 here is normal definition and MotoGP looks like a badly upscaled thing, even though it doesn't try being HD :\
Date: April 15, 2008 10:17PM
Posted by: matt3454
The question i meant is that is are the races filmed in HD? Like the feed that all the channels across the world is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy