BBC? Murray? @#$%& YEAH!

Posted by gav 
Re: BBC? Murray? @#$%& YEAH!
Date: March 20, 2008 12:11PM
Posted by: richardd
Nigel Mansell commentary FTW.

Prefer Gav's idea of the top gear team presenting, we could have a guided tour of every track with The Stig. In the Chevrolet Lacetti. :D
Date: March 20, 2008 12:14PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oooo, if Murray returns I am finally able to hear
> him live :D
>
> On the other hand, comebacks are often a bad
> decision...

What ever do you mean, hear him live?
Date: March 20, 2008 12:18PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
"Asked why he had decided to split with ITV, Ecclestone said: "It's not that we are unhappy with ITV but I think maybe they will have their hands full with other things and maybe the BBC can service us a bit better.

"I think they will be able to service us an awful lot better, a little bit more time.

"I think it will be good, a fresh face. I'm not complaining about ITV, I'm not saying they did a bad job or anything like that.

"But with all the other things they are loaded up with - and who knows they will get some more stuff - maybe it will be a bit more difficult to spend as much time on us.

"I think the BBC will do that."

ITV was in the third year of a five-year deal, which appears to have been terminated early by Ecclestone.

"I'm absolutely flabbergasted - I almost fell out of bed when I heard it"

Murray Walker
Former F1 commentator

:P
Date: March 20, 2008 12:23PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Covfan Wrote:
> Lewis Mania will be just as bad if not worse with
> the BBC.
>
> Yipee

Porblem is tell me a channel who wouldn't overhype Hamilton!

> What ever do you mean, hear him live?

Probably means he didn't watch F1 until after 2001 so has never heard Murray Walker live :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 12:26PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 20, 2008 12:35PM
Posted by: s0236078
ugh no. the BBC's coverage of sport is very dull. ITV did a great job in making the sport entertaining and fun and lively, wit hgreat features and access...but i have the feeling the BBC will go back to middle class snoredome. ITVs features and race build up was great. and the new online live practice sessions stuff is fantastic. Am REALLY worried for the entertainment loss when it moves to the BBC....its stuck in the past and its motorsport coverage has always had an air of amateur to it. granted there will be no ad breaks, but i dont think we will be getting hour long build ups to the races (most football/rugby games routinely get about 15 mins or so).

saddened :(
Date: March 20, 2008 12:43PM
Posted by: chet
tbh, because i majorly bum F1, thats why I watch the hour buildup, even though it was the same show in Qualy.

My dad for instance will more often than not fall asleep during it before the gp even starts !!!!

the grid walk should stick, the rest I dont tihnk will matter. We are wanting to watch a race, nothing else.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 20, 2008 12:46PM
Posted by: marwood82
s0236078 Wrote:
> ugh no. the BBC's coverage of sport is very dull.
> ITV did a great job in making the sport
> entertaining and fun and lively, wit hgreat
> features and access...but i have the feeling the
> BBC will go back to middle class snoredome. ITVs
> features and race build up was great. and the new
> online live practice sessions stuff is fantastic.
> Am REALLY worried for the entertainment loss when
> it moves to the BBC....its stuck in the past and
> its motorsport coverage has always had an air of
> amateur to it. granted there will be no ad breaks,
> but i dont think we will be getting hour long
> build ups to the races (most football/rugby games
> routinely get about 15 mins or so).
>
> saddened :(

hmm, i don't see cutting down the build up time as being a bad thing.
Part of the problem with ITV's coverage that they never have enough material to fill the slot anyway.

most of the sunday show is just a repeat/rehash of saturdays. with the rest spent grabbing meanlingless sound bites from celebrities who have no idea about F1 whatsoever. (I really don't care who kelly osborne thinks is going to win the race!)

Seriously, with the preview show and the Australia race, I lost count of how many times i had to watch that cringe worthy report from Tamara Ecclestone skiing with Ferrari.
Date: March 20, 2008 12:52PM
Posted by: Advong
Any indication whats going to happen to the GP2 coverage?
Date: March 20, 2008 01:06PM
i like more build up. at least it can be left on in the background as you do other things, build the atmosphere etc. the main problem for me is the possability of the bbc "dull factor" coming into play. what you think?
Date: March 20, 2008 01:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I'd rather have the "dull factor" than ITVs "Lets make everything entertaining by dumbing it down". ITV spend too much time and effort trying to appeal to the idiots of the world, rather than to the motorsport fans who are actually watching the program.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 20, 2008 01:11PM
Posted by: Imran
"Seriously, with the preview show and the Australia race, I lost count of how many times i had to watch that cringe worthy report from Tamara Ecclestone skiing with Ferrari."

Erm...it was only on once

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: March 20, 2008 01:25PM
It was on during the qualifying, and repeats as well. Since the qualifying was shown once live, twice repeated, the race was on once live, once repeated, that could be a possible 5 times it was shown. Wouldn't be as bad if it was a technical report, or something useful or relative, but ITV don't do useful or relative - they do dumbed down entertainment.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 20, 2008 01:34PM
turn it on mute and that tara bird is actually not to bad. youll get more tara types on the beeb ... ya ya ya :)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:39PM
Posted by: marwood82
DaveEllis Wrote:
> It was on during the qualifying, and repeats as
> well. Since the qualifying was shown once live,
> twice repeated, the race was on once live, once
> repeated, that could be a possible 5 times it was
> shown. Wouldn't be as bad if it was a technical
> report, or something useful or relative, but ITV
> don't do useful or relative - they do dumbed down
> entertainment.

exactly. you hit the nail right on the head.

To be honest it was more the fact that it was on at all rather than it still making it into the repeats.
and its things like that that have been the main thing that has irritated me about ITV's coverage ever since they won it.

the bbc style doesnt have the 'bright colours' and 'flashy lights' approach that ITV tend to go for, but i wouldn't describe it as boring. Proffesional/authoratitive are the words that spring to mind.

Their football and rugby coverage is an excellent example. max 30 minutes of buildup. but those 30 minutes are spent bringing the viewer up to speed, speaking to people who actually have something to say and pre-recorded sections that actually add value.
Date: March 20, 2008 01:41PM
Posted by: Damas
If it is true that ITV have pulled out for Champions League Football it just confirms what we knew all along, that they never cared about F1 in the first place and knew nothing about it.

F1 has the biggest TV audiences of any sport any where in the world on a yearly basis. The only sports that draw bigger audiences are The Olympics and The World Cup, both every four years. If ITV are so narrow minded that they have to follow 22 blokes kicking a bag of wind around around on a bit of grass over a sport which is a leader in tearms of technology then more fools them and we are far better off without them.

Good Riddance I say!
Date: March 20, 2008 02:03PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Damas Wrote:
> F1 has the biggest TV audiences of any sport any
> where in the world on a yearly basis.

Not entirely true - it has a very high average viewing figures but when you think how much coverage football gets it is not hard to believe sometimes the viewing figures are down slightly. In terms of real numbers F1 is still a distant third to international football and rugby as the latter two draw larger figures.

I don't see how a cut in coverage can be seen as a good thing - If you don't want to watch it then just switch on for the start of the race but for those of us who like to experience the excitement of the build up to a race with a range of features it should be available.

Was wondering what might happen to the other presenters i.e Louise? I think she deserves to keep her spot as the milf running round flirting with all the drivers. I can't help but keep remembering all the latest coverage the BBC have done of F1 in recent years on the news/sports programmes etc - It's generally been bloody awful far more simplified than ITV.

Date: March 20, 2008 02:17PM
Posted by: gav
brunoboi Wrote:
> Was wondering what might happen to the other
> presenters i.e Louise? I think she deserves to
> keep her spot as the milf running round flirting
> with all the drivers.

I'm not one for sleazy posts, but for this, I'll make an exception.

Louise? As in Louise Goodman? Milf? Did you see her interviewing Johnny Herbert just in a bra? I'm hetero and I'd still rather @#$%& Johnny. Now Suzi Perry... that would be a different matter.
Date: March 20, 2008 02:23PM
Louise? As in Louise Goodman? Milf? Did you see her interviewing Johnny Herbert just in a bra? I'm hetero and I'd still rather @#$%& Johnny.

MILF = Man I'd Like F...?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 20, 2008 02:28PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I have to say, I was absolutely astonished to read about this story, but ultimately not surprised to see ITV lose it because of commercial interests. Their viewing figures in the UK aren't exactly stellar, because they have adverts, and because they're losing money because they want more adverts in the broadcasts, they made the decision and the BBC took it with open arms!

If "The Chain" comes back to the BBC's F1 broadcasts, I'll be overjoyed. I've seen many an old "Grand Prix" broadcast, and the BBC were very good at what they did. Palmer wasn't brilliant, but had that insight to F1 that Murray didn't have.

As long as they don't get James Allen, this is perfect. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 20, 2008 03:08PM
Posted by: brunoboi
gav Wrote:
> Louise? As in Louise Goodman? Milf? Did you see
> her interviewing Johnny Herbert just in a bra? I'm
> hetero and I'd still rather @#$%& Johnny. Now Suzi
> Perry... that would be a different matter.

I'm the first to admit she's not the best looking but there's somethign about her... anyways my point is that she does her job well and so the BBC should take her

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy