BBC? Murray? @#$%& YEAH!

Posted by gav 
Re: BBC? Murray? @#$%& YEAH!
Date: March 20, 2008 10:00AM
Posted by: marwood82
what the bbc sport guy implied was that ITV had signed a 5 year deal which had the option to terminate after 3 years.

ITV seem to be saying they chose to walk away(but then they're hardly likely to say otherwise)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:00AM by marwood82.
Date: March 20, 2008 10:01AM
Posted by: marcl
I bet it will be Martin and Ben, I hope its not John Watson
Date: March 20, 2008 10:02AM
Posted by: mikef1
Ianwoollam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Loads of calls into 5Live even at 7am this
> morning
> > calling for The Chain. If they do, I just hope
> > they don't do a GrandStand/MOTD and modernise
> it.
> > Rerecord as an exact replica to clean it up for
> > the digital age by all means (not that it's
> really
> > needed) but don't rewrite it.
>
> They will modernise it if they use it :( TV Exec's
> are always dense in that point of view, probably
> have some stupid dance remix of it.

Dunno, Eastenders still has the original theme tune from the '80s so here's hoping. I think Muzza would make a good anchor man instead of Steve "creepy" Rider but in all honesty he's a bit too old to commentate much as i miss the guy.
Date: March 20, 2008 10:04AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Rumour is that David Croft, BBC five live commentator is up for James Allens job with Martin Brundle the only one of the current team to be retained.

Date: March 20, 2008 10:05AM
Posted by: marcl
Bernie is meant to have asked the BBC they did not see him so that could be true.

I think the ITV thing has something to do with SKY.
Date: March 20, 2008 10:07AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
marcl schreef:
> I bet it will be Martin and Ben, I hope its not
> John Watson

Is John Watson the old voice in the a1gp commentary isnt it? It does sounds better then James Allen, and it aint to bad I suppose ;)

Date: March 20, 2008 10:07AM
There other rumour is that ITV bailed out to the BBC in exchange for more champions league football rights

Date: March 20, 2008 10:14AM
i can believe the david croft rumour. The BBC don't really have a TV motorsport team other than Steve Parish and Charlie Cox, but they're unlikely to take them off motoGP (unless thats making way for F1)

so promoting him up from radio5 would seem to make sense.

ben edwards wouldn't be a bad choice, though he may be under contract to A1GP

+ i kind of think of him and wattie in the same way as murray and james hunt, i think they complement each other rather well. (always thought they did a good job on eurosport and i rather like what they're doing on A1 with Sky)

i'd imagine ITV dropping out probably has something to do with them gambling big money on getting the wednesday night champions league game)
Date: March 20, 2008 10:15AM
Yeah, the rumour mill says part of the deal would include him commentating on the GP2 this year so he isnt thrown into the deep end so much.

Date: March 20, 2008 10:20AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> marcl schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I bet it will be Martin and Ben, I hope its not
> > John Watson
>
>
> Is John Watson the old voice in the a1gp
> commentary isnt it? It does sounds better then
> James Allen, and it aint to bad I suppose ;)

Watsons funny! I mean he called the A1GP Grid a bunch of brain dead idiots, which instantly wins a million points with me imo :D

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:21AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 20, 2008 10:50AM
Posted by: TC
After seeing the BBC's coverage of the MotoGP I am not sure if this is a good idea... At least ITV have toned down their Hamilton whoring this year. Granted I didn't watch the race buildup but the commentary was certainly better.

Still, no ad-breaks is a good thing. I don't think Murray would come back as a commentator either, and I don't think he should either. I wouldn't mind seeing him doing a one off race though like the British GP.
Date: March 20, 2008 11:26AM
Posted by: gav
TC Wrote:
> After seeing the BBC's coverage of the MotoGP I am
> not sure if this is a good idea... At least ITV
> have toned down their Hamilton whoring this year.
> Granted I didn't watch the race buildup but the
> commentary was certainly better.

As I remember they cut away from Hamilton/Hamilton's garage thrice in the build-up. Once for a couple of lines about Button discussing a new contract, another to go through the grid and finally to have a lap onboard with... you guessed it.

The BBC will be no better though. They're already pimping Lewis in the Director of Sport's comments on the matter ("But we already have some ideas buzzing around about how we can make F1 even bigger and better than it is now - and we're really looking forward to watching Lewis Hamilton achieve even more success.";) and in their MotoGP coverage so far they've been creaming all over James Toseland's leathers. Their MotoGP coverage is around 8,000,042 times better than ITV's F1 coverage though.

Interesting reading about this on other forums. There's plenty of calls of "bring back Jim Rosential".... :|
Date: March 20, 2008 11:34AM
Posted by: MarcLister
This is possibly the best news I could get today. Well apart from finding out I'm a billionaire and half the Page 3 girls are pregnant with my babies but meh!

gav Wrote:
> How about Clarkson, Hammond and May for
> commentary? I mean, how hard can it be? :P

Haha, I like the idea.

Hopefully Brundle will do a Murray and defect. Hope Aunty refuse James Allen, can't really see Damon getting in, he's busy with BRDC and as an ex-F1 driver he's too samey to Brundle.

Hill/Brundle certainly would appeal to me more than Brundle/Allen.
Date: March 20, 2008 11:38AM
>
> Interesting reading about this on other forums.
> There's plenty of calls of "bring back Jim
> Rosential".... :|

oh please god no.

I feel sorry for Steve Rider, he's a decent presenter who genuinely knows his stuff unlike the clueless Rosential.

Its not his fault ITV make him dumb down the coverage and have a clause in his contract that stipulates he must fit the words 'Lewis Hamilton' into every second sentence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 11:40AM by marwood82.
Date: March 20, 2008 11:39AM
Posted by: sasjag
not surprised ITV bailed - they had troule gaining sponsorship, its rumoures Sony only signed a sponsorship deal last week, for anout half of what ITV were asking.

And to those of you who think BBC wont show it Live, thats bullshit. I'm almost certain its written into teh contract these days, teh sport is (sadly) much more commercial and business like than it was back in 1996. It's also a much bigger sport, so i can see them affording it the same kind of coverage that the footy gets

might be an idea to suggest on teh BBC sports editors blog that they bring Brundle accross, and maybe steve rider. loads of us suggested that they hire Mike Carlson from five for the superbowl coverage (hes teh NFL's equivalent of brundle) and they duly went out and got him.

and hopefully this mean no more allen! yay!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 20, 2008 11:40AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I didn't ever dislike Jim Rosential, but I wouldn't bring him back. I think Steve Rider does a good enough job. I'd be surprised if Brundle didn't go over to the BBC, but I'm not sure that Damon Hill would make a good co-commentator. I'd want someone a bit more exciting to be honest, although it'd be good to see him in another role perhaps.It'd be nice to see someone with a bit more fire.

I'd be confident the BBC's coverage would be good. They're not stupid. It'll be nice to get rid of those pesky adverts too.

[Website]
Date: March 20, 2008 11:50AM
i wouldn't have any concerns as to the quality of the coverage.

The BBC's coverage of pretty much any sporting event you care to mention is always about a 1000 times better than ITV's.
Date: March 20, 2008 11:50AM
Posted by: Sauber89
NO MORE JAMES ALLEN!!! it'll be david croft with martin brundle, with probably a guest appearance from murray at silverstone, you've only got to hear how well croft did jenson button winning compared to allen he'd be better

Date: March 20, 2008 11:51AM
Posted by: Covfan
Lewis Mania will be just as bad if not worse with the BBC.

Yipee
Date: March 20, 2008 12:08PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
97kirkc Wrote:
> Rumour is that David Croft, BBC five live
> commentator is up for James Allens job with Martin
> Brundle the only one of the current team to be
> retained.

That's great news, where did you hear this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy