Honda RA 108

Posted by insanefane 
Re: Honda RA 108
Date: January 29, 2008 06:18PM
Posted by: Fincent
Horrible livery. Yep its simple but it just doesnt look very nice at all...and the last thing we needed was another white car to confuse us all. Good job Murray doesnt commentate anymore, lol "and thats somebody off in the BMW, no the Honda, wait it might be the Force India car....hang on, it's Sato in the Super Aguri!!! (martin interrupts) No murray, that's Raikkonen... (murray) aaaand Raikkonen is out!"

However, the design on the overalls looks good:

Why couldnt they just do something like that on the car? :

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: January 29, 2008 06:31PM
Posted by: Monza972
When I saw it at School, I just imagined someone vomiting, coz thats what I felt like doing. It just looks so shite! The earth stripes at the front like they were just cut of from a piece of news paper and stuck onto it. Honda should have come up with something better than that... LOL @ The side though, Looks absolutely like a BMW Sauber

Overall's design is nice, plain and simple...
Date: January 29, 2008 06:47PM
Posted by: Dahie
just when you think it couldn't get worse ... the shape is great, but the livery is close to suceeding Renaults livery as the worst livery ever ...

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: January 29, 2008 07:18PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
renaults livery isnt bad, i think, but this is just, its just a exact copy of a fat ass :S

Date: January 29, 2008 07:55PM
Posted by: flat tyre
When I saw the small image of the nose on Formula1.com, my first thought was that I was going to look forward to seeing a nice looking, racey, colourful green car.

Then I saw the side. Then I saw the high res pics. 'nuff said. The overalls do look good, though.

I can't believe how much white is taking over in the liveries. The grid is going to look far too boring if they keep on making more cars white. If you got a casual fan to look at this picture, would many be able to tell which team was which?

[www.formulaf1.com]

At least with the bad looking cars, it means that we can fully appreciate the good looking cars!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 08:05PM by flat tyre.
Date: January 29, 2008 08:23PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Covfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fans normally stick with a team or driver even
> in
> > their bad years, I know I did with mclaren.
>
>
> I do as well
>
> Come on Lola, you can get out of this bad spot!

Come on Lotus, you can get back in F1! ;)

seriously now...

the livery is horrible, it indeed looks similar to a BMW Sauber, and theres a lot of white cars on the grid which makes it boring, shame.

The RA108 even though its a basic car doesnt look competitive, I'll wait until Barcelona but I dont expect them to improve. I'm disappointed with Honda, very disappointed. Awful livery and car aerodynamics, terrible teammate for Jenson, only Alex and Ross Brawn are the good things in the team for JB this year. I know we shouldnt judge a book by its cover but it looks like they'll be worse this year.

Shame, JB deserved a car good enough for his awesome talent and entertaining smooth driving style.

Date: January 29, 2008 08:37PM
Posted by: Jithendra
bravo... honda does it again! 2 years in a row

there is a BMW slowing down the main straight with smoking coming out of the engines, looks like race over for one of the BMW... O wait a minute its a honda.. honda is out of the race, what a shame

maybe the guys from the GP4 community should give them some lessons in coming out with a decent looking livery. I really miss the BAR days

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 08:41PM by Jithendra.
Date: January 29, 2008 09:15PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Hmmmm... A WTF inspired layout, painted in various shades of yuck. I really hope they change this one mid season...or earlier. Pity though, I really love the shape of the car.

Oh well, at least it doesn't have those ugly spinner/brake shield things.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 09:17PM by Team CLR.
Date: January 29, 2008 09:17PM
Posted by: geekrock82
I quite like it, actually. I think it mixes their corporate colours and the "Earth dream" stuff pretty well. It's not amazing... but it's probably the best '08 livery unveiled so far, and they get points for simply having actually done a new design - even if they then lose them for adding to the fact that there are too many white cars on the grid.

Anyway, I blame BMW rather than Honda for there being too many white cars - Honda were white first! It's BMW who simply refuse to change year on year...

---

[f1colours.wordpress.com]. A blog about liveries. Because some of us really are that sad.

[www.noisetosignal.org] | [www.ganymede.tv]
Date: January 29, 2008 09:41PM
Posted by: chet
Bruno, we cant judge the car's speed at all yet, and we certainly cant judge its aerodynamics, at least not by eye.

Jithendra, reliability was not really an issue last year. the RA108 completed 198 laps without a mechanical problem.

CLR - yeah iam glad the wheel covers dont feature too, but no doubt they will do, every other team has used them to some effect, apart from Spyker I think ????

And Gav...

Not that I'm particularly fond of taking this stance as it's all relative, but if we're comparing emissions, then the plane carrying the cars to Melbourne will emit more than the cars themselves will emit all season.

Thats very very wrong.

Planes are very very fuel efficient. On average its the equavilant of around 60mpg per passanger (for a 747).

Anyone remember the same argument of irony, last year it was estimated the RA107 would release about 500Kg of CO from JB and RB in each of the grandprix, and there was 17 races, so thats 8500Kg of CO2 for the year.

A boeing 747 from England to Melbourne is estimated to release less than 2000Kg of CO2.

edit - atm iam hunting some of my lecture notes. Earlier in the academic year I had to an assignment based on the effect aerospace is having on climate change. And right now, its contributing to about 1% of global emissions. Alot less than cars, but the issue is the aerospace industry growing at the rate it is, especially in China and India. For example, over the last 20years CO2 emissions from cars has increased by 50%, but with aircraft its more than doubled ! But the thing is, its so much more harder to develop a solution for aviation because the lifespan of an aircraft is quite long, from initial concept to its end. So the solution is going to have to be very long term. Anything implemented now, would not have an effect for a good while. And atm we dont have the technology to develop a zero - emission aircraft at a realistic cost with realisitic gains.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 09:47PM by chet.
Date: January 29, 2008 09:55PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
> A boeing 747 from England to Melbourne is
> estimated to release less than 2000Kg of CO2.

At 100% occupancy a 747 flight from Heathrow to Melbourne is estimated to emit 1477kg of CO2 per passenger. That's 147770kg for an otherwise empty plane.

Think you read your notes wrong mate, as 2000kg is next to nothing.

//edit: wrong choice of words. Substituted 'use' for 'emit'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 10:01PM by gav.
Date: January 29, 2008 10:40PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Dont worry, I fixed Honda's small error on the livery.

Date: January 29, 2008 11:31PM
Posted by: Dahie
smoke gotta be more dark
muahaha :D

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: January 30, 2008 03:05AM
Posted by: slicer
quite frankly, its not that good looking because

1. white, again
2. it reminds me of the sucky F1 cars from Gran Turismo 4 (Polophony Formula Gran Turismo. It looks like the offspring of a 90's and todayies F1 car)

So i say next year, theres gotta be 2 hot pink cars, 2 cars with flames painted on the sides, and 2 cars that are schoolbus yellow and say "NOOBSCHOOLBUS" on the sides. Or a hippie-bus colored car.

Happy Racing. Fix the tapestry!
-teh_$L!cerer
Date: January 30, 2008 05:51AM
Posted by: marcl
Chet I dont think mclaren will have the wheel trims either.
Date: January 30, 2008 11:31AM
97kirkc - did you do that ? its pretty good actually lol!

and gav, mis-read indeed, my axpromimation was for an 80% full flight. I dont think they use jumbos anyway do they? and it is a hard guess at the weight because tho there are no passengers, well not many, and no seats and the sh*t that a normal passanger would carry, we still have at least 2 chassis (isnt it? - two race chassis and two spare).

But then more confusion to add, arnt they cars transported by trucks for the European season?

Date: January 30, 2008 11:33AM
Also, Honda are wanting 2006 latter half of the season performance..

Abit much to ask isnt it? All I realy want this year is a car Jenson can get points in, and have a car to challenge to get into Q1.

Date: January 30, 2008 11:37AM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
> and gav, mis-read indeed, my axpromimation was for
> an 80% full flight. I dont think they use jumbos
> anyway do they? and it is a hard guess at the
> weight because tho there are no passengers, well
> not many, and no seats and the sh*t that a normal
> passanger would carry, we still have at least 2
> chassis (isnt it? - two race chassis and two
> spare).
>
> But then more confusion to add, arnt they cars
> transported by trucks for the European season?

Point being that the flight to Melbourne emits more C02 than the cars themselves do all season (still easily covers testing). Weight (or lack of) won't make that much difference. We don't even have to include the return flight, or the 2 trips to North and South America.
Date: January 30, 2008 12:37PM
And around in a circle, how is it ironic that Honda race with this livery then? going by the statement above ;-)

weight would make a noticable difference. an aircraft weighing half what another aircraft of the same type weighs would need half the thrust to take off.

more weight would need more thrust to to get the aircraft of the ground and keep it at level height where lift will equal the weight. therefore burning more fuel...

Date: January 30, 2008 12:58PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
Bruninho Wrote:
> seriously now...
>
> the livery is horrible, it indeed looks similar to
> a BMW Sauber, and theres a lot of white cars on
> the grid which makes it boring, shame.
>
> The RA108 even though its a basic car doesnt look
> competitive, I'll wait until Barcelona but I dont
> expect them to improve. I'm disappointed with
> Honda, very disappointed. Awful livery and car
> aerodynamics, terrible teammate for Jenson, only
> Alex and Ross Brawn are the good things in the
> team for JB this year. I know we shouldnt judge a
> book by its cover but it looks like they'll be
> worse this year.
>
> Shame, JB deserved a car good enough for his
> awesome talent and entertaining smooth driving
> style.

I rofl'd at that ;)

Magic Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy