Re: Williams FW30
Date: January 23, 2008 04:13PM
Posted by: Imran
Williams FTW!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 24, 2008 02:00AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Pleasantly surprised by Williams performance. But I was also happy with Prosts performance, and we all know what happened then.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 24, 2008 02:06AM
Posted by: Nickv
Weren't they deliberately running an underweight car to attract sponsors with their 'speed'?
Date: January 24, 2008 02:07AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Yeah. Underweight and ran qualifying laps on low fuel and tyres that wouldn't last the distance. So they looked pretty epic. Then came the racing...and they were just crap.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 24, 2008 02:34AM
Posted by: marcl
Williams have been in the sport to long to be doing that.

They were getting stronger and stronger as the year went on I hope they can get up there and mix it with the big teams.
Date: January 24, 2008 01:47PM
Posted by: mikef1
Yeah me too, it's been too long since the Williams team was competitive and winning races.
Date: January 28, 2008 05:12PM
Posted by: J i m
Shape wise the FW30 is really quite pretty, save from a couple of winglets and the bridge-wing over those. though on this car they don't detract quite as much from the looks as the other cars.

The dark navyish blue suits the car very well, it's just a shame this is for the special edition test liveries and will be replaced by final race livery package the same or similar to last years.

The initial performance in testing has been encouraging, though the drivers reckon it is tricky on the limit. Then again that is often the mark of a fast car, very few winners are easy cars to drive. The long run pace has been the most inspiring thus far, but then as ever during testing you can never really make too many conclusions to the form. After all the teams will be running different packages, programmes, fuel loads etc.

Still, the signs are that the FW30 should be reliably dependable car, that should be able to build on the progress of the FW29. Wins are unlikely, regular podiums are also unlikely. But hopefully it should be points on a racely basis. It should have been last year, but for some bad luck, and a bit poor reliability at the worst moments.

Nico Rosberg is certainly quick enough to have a good future in F1, He has an intelligent approach to his racing, and can produce good race craft. He's not the complete article yet though, wet weather seems to be his weakness.
Date: January 28, 2008 05:58PM
Posted by: Frantic
Nico is fast, but he doesent show the "future star driver" credentials yet, i think that this season we will know if he is fast enough to be an world champion

Date: January 28, 2008 06:04PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Its being reported on the Williams forum of Sport Network that a Dutch reporter got a quote from a Williams spokesperson to the effect that all the tests of the FW30 were race simulations for reliability and nothing was done in qualifying setup. Considering the Macca and Ferrari times were on Q setups and short stints it might be getting hard for the Grove guys to keep a lid on their enthusiasm, though I would guess SFW and PH will curb any euphoria for a while. Nico Rosberg was quite openly critical of the car's balance so there's lots more to come from it yet.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: January 28, 2008 06:33PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Just think... what kind of progress could Williams make if they take this 'aggressive' approach to the new car design more frequently? I don't know what they did differently, but I reckon that they could be on top again if they consistently improve over the next couple of years.

I would imagine that if they are indeed successful this year, then they would get more sponsorship, which can only be a good thing for the future! Especially as they have been complaining of having too few resources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 28, 2008 07:49PM
Posted by: gav
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nico is fast, but he doesent show the "future star
> driver" credentials yet, i think that this season
> we will know if he is fast enough to be an world
> champion

Don't know, personally I thought he was easily the best driver last season. Wurz didn't (doesn't) have the edge he once did, but frankly Rosberg blew him away, especially in the 2nd half of the year when Williams started moving forward. He wasn't spectacular, but I was massively impressed with him after such a poor debut season. More than a few parallels with Casey Stoner in my opinion, only Rosberg was more limited by the equipment he had. Looking forward to seeing him without all the electronics to gobble up any mistakes.
Date: January 28, 2008 08:14PM
Fastest lap and qualifying 3rd in your first two races also shows that he's not just another driver... Especially when you consider how bad the 2006 Williams was. The rest of his season was disappointing, though. 2007 got rid of all of my doubts towards him - he was stunning throughout the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 28, 2008 08:33PM
Posted by: J i m
He had a superb start to 2006. But as soon as it was clear that the FW28 was as reliable as a Ferrari F92A, and the performance disappeared he started to struggle somewhat. He made a few rookie errors. Crashing out on the first lap at Hockenheim and Interlagos for example.

But he was intelligent enough to learn from those mistakes. In 2007 his raw pace returned, and he mated that with maturity. Very few mistakes, and he was unlucky not to have scored more points. A couple of failures whilst in points scoring positions, a little bit unlucky with strategy at times.
Date: January 29, 2008 04:36AM
Posted by: toyo_161
@Brianf666,

Yes it is true that

here is the source :

Click me

Someone at Williams said: ''We still haven't driven a single lap in qualifying set-up. We're fully concentrating on reliability, which is pretty good so far. The times we've set at Valencia last week are certainly not the fastest. Nico and Kazuki have set their times in race simulations, driving stints of 25 laps in between pitstops.''

''Everything is about reliability, that's what we always focus on first. It seems to be ok and we'll see if that remains so in Barcelona. If we're on a decent level (with that) than we can completely concentrate on fast times, then we'll find out how fast our car at the moment really is.''
Date: January 29, 2008 06:31AM
Posted by: brnco
Wurz didn't (doesn't) have the edge he once did

firefox spell checker says Wurz didn't (doesn't) have the edge he once had

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: January 29, 2008 06:34AM
Posted by: Covfan
Spell checker isn't a grammar checker brnco.
Date: January 29, 2008 06:36AM
anyway it corrected a sentence in that way. What a hell would I know, I don't know the word of english language.

Goggle and spell checker are doing everything for me.

Date: January 29, 2008 06:38AM
Lots of english people make that mistake! It's very common.

Date: January 29, 2008 06:39AM
Posted by: Covfan
brnco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway it corrected a sentence in that way. What the
> hell would I know? I don't know a word of the
> English language.
>
> Google and spell checker are doing everything for
> me.

Corrected

EDIT//I don't go onto a French speaking forum and try to correct their grammar or spelling mistakes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 06:42AM by Covfan.
Date: January 29, 2008 06:42AM
are you gav's lawyer? how much is he paying you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy