So how can the FIA slow the cars??

Posted by chet 
Date: April 10, 2004 02:42AM
Posted by: chet
I can only think of reducing engine power, AND ONLY HAVING 1 TYRE COMPANY!!!

That is the problem the tyres, if there were one this wont have happend. I say keep michelin!!

Tell me how you think they (FIA) can slow the cars.
Re: So how can the FIA slow the cars??
Date: April 10, 2004 03:07AM
Posted by: LS.
they'll **** about with the aero package, change the compound of the tyres, probably make them use 1 litre engine or some thing equally stupid

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: April 10, 2004 03:17AM
Posted by: RonF1
Or add extra grooves to the tyres

Date: April 10, 2004 03:21AM
Posted by: Palomino
um... give them smaller brakes.. duh!

makes them brake earlier for corners thus creating more overtaking oppertunitys and thus slowing lap times...

FIA WHY WONT YOU LISTEN TO ME!

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Date: April 10, 2004 03:42AM
Posted by: Razorsedge
They could go to a one make series i.e. everyone uses a Mclaren.

That would would slow things down alright!
Date: April 10, 2004 04:11AM
ROFL

its funny because its true....and everyone would have poor reliability opening the door to surprising races and winners!

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Date: April 10, 2004 04:38AM
Posted by: Spike02
and that's assuming if any of them finished ;)

Date: April 10, 2004 06:23AM
Posted by: ReJ_40
LOL!.. Ron Dennis would love it.. he couldent lose no matter how bad his car is
Date: April 10, 2004 06:48AM
Posted by: twiglet
200Mph rev limiters. If it works in the pit lane it can work on the track, and then it is those with the best acceleration, aerodynamics and drivers who win. Keeps the engine big (although limited)

Or

Instead of McLarens, use Minardi's..... They make a few quid flogging them to other teams and we see an automatic increase of approx 3 to 4 secs per lap!

only thing better than F1....... My dream for a PLAYBOY F1 championship!!!
Date: April 10, 2004 07:01AM
palamino, been thinking on your suggestion.....it might give slightly better chance of overtaking but i cannot see how it reduces speed?
The reason they want the cars slower is because they go to fast on straights and too fast around corners.
Worse braking doesnt slow the straight line speed from 220mph, just means they have to brake a little earlier.
It also means that if a car can take a corner at 80mph before losing traction, it will do so, if the next year thanks to aero' tyre, etc it can take the corner at 90mph it will, regardless of the brakes.
The amount of grip is what needs reducing so that the cars that are going around a corner at 150mph can be forced to go around them at no more than 110mph before they lose traction and risk major oversteer/understeer problems.
Again, smaller brakes cause the ever spiraling straightline top speed to be lowered fractionaly earlier to the ever spiraling cornering speed. Granted it may add a second to the lap times but in the wrong places when it comes to the reason for speed reduction which is safety. And this second will soon be swallowed up with the still increasing grip/power the teams are producing race by race.
I agree it may help in the overall overtaking problem, but not in the speed reduction this thread is talking about.

Maybe a simple T-bar rear wing would be a good way of reducing aerodynamics and grip to the rear wheels. (a car spoiler type wing with just one central bracket, the width of the car but only 8 inches deep)

Date: April 10, 2004 07:26AM
@twiglet - Well your right it wont reduce mid corner speeds, but it WILL reduce laptimes, and depending by how much you reduce brake sizes, the slower the laptimes. I geuss mid corner speed can also be lessened by the removal of power steering....

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Date: April 10, 2004 12:17PM
but i don't think the FIA are too worried about longer laptimes as opposed to actually slowing the cars down for their own safety.
Still think the smaller brakes might be an interesting idea for further research to see if it causes more outbraking during overtaking.

Date: April 10, 2004 01:33PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL

Make the tyres triangle... ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2004 02:17PM
Posted by: Big_F1_Fan
the latest issue of F1 Racing says engines will be cut to 2.5 litre V8s, and therefore will produce around 700bhp. this will be done by 2006, with a "raft of chassis changes"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: April 10, 2004 04:57PM
Posted by: Ellis
Putting in more groves seems to be peoples answers

You cant keep putting in more groves. It will get to the point where the actaull contact patch will buckle under the weight because it has to be too thin. Adding groves cant solve things forever

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 11, 2004 07:11AM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Hopefully the FIA will keep adding grooves to the point it goes full circle and we end up with slicks again :)

Engine limiters would be terrible.

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: April 11, 2004 12:42PM
slicks on the back, 5 grooves on the front

Date: April 11, 2004 02:43PM
Posted by: Ellis
= understeer city

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 12, 2004 09:22AM
Posted by: Muks_C
what happened to the plans of introducing laterla grooves to the tyres they were talking about a couple of seasons ago? the dry tryes would look aweful with grooves all over them.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 12, 2004 12:10PM
will only understeer if going too fast for the traction of the fronts. Thus...slower cars/lap times

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy