Singapore GP

Posted by casabonka 
Singapore GP
Date: December 13, 2007 11:03AM
Posted by: casabonka
Hi all,
Sorry if someone has already answered this in another post, but as the FIA confirmed a 8pm kick off for the race, I was wondering if anyone has heard when qualy and practise is on.

Id assume its all at night so they dont come to race and not know how to take the track at night.

THanks in advance!
Re: Singapore GP
Date: December 13, 2007 11:52AM
Posted by: red 5
Good question.

Try here, although it seems it has not been defined yet.
[www.singaporegp.sg]

Date: December 13, 2007 12:01PM
Posted by: gp3
ya, just what is on my signature...

SG
Date: December 13, 2007 05:05PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
It won't matter if the quali and practice are during the day with the race at night- the floodlights are apparently 4x brighter than most football stadiums.

Now, I'm all for new ideas and suchlike, but with floodlights illuminating the place like that, what's the point?
Date: December 13, 2007 05:08PM
Posted by: Muks_C
European viewers don't have to get up in the middle of the night, that's the point.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 13, 2007 05:18PM
Posted by: Gaulty
I'm just waiting for the big power failure. Could be catastrophic.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Date: December 13, 2007 05:23PM
Posted by: Frantic
1 question:

For Europe, the race starts at what hour?
And in South America?

Date: December 13, 2007 05:30PM
i think Singapore is 8 hours ahead of GMT, so if the race will start at 8pm Singapore-time, it'll be 12 noon GMT. but it's in September so we'll still be in British Summer Time so i think it'll be 1pm UK time, same as the European races.

Date: December 14, 2007 12:16AM
Posted by: Fincent
It would make sense to have the practice and the qualifying at 8pm too so the drivers can have time to properly adjust their body clocks. I kinda agree with the point of "why?" as well. I mean the point of having a night race is to, well, race in night conditions, not to race in simulated daytime. Fitting lights to an F1 car however doesn't seem like a good alternative however cool it may look. As Muks said, it's just to please the European viewers and to make Bernie a little more money.

So basically for times, whatever time you would see Silverstone/Monza on TV would be the same time that Singapore would be on :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:45AM
i don't think the body-clock issue is that important really, it's only 8pm their time. but as you say, some practice at night with the same lighting conditions just so they know what to expect would be useful, even if they keep the qually at a normal afternoon time.

Date: December 14, 2007 05:47AM
Posted by: casabonka
Stupid TV Times..
In Australia, our average viewing time is 10.30-11 pm.. Then of course the 2am starts in America...

Or because of our crummy broadcasters Asian races at 11pm!
Date: December 14, 2007 09:27AM
Posted by: flat tyre
Is everybody forgetting how spectacular this is going to look? You're all saying how it will benefit europeans because of the race time, but think how great it will look. I'm sure we all remember how good the launch of the 2007 McLaren was, I reckon the race will be fantastic!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 17, 2007 06:05PM
Posted by: calimbo
And how are the tyres going to work on a track that's not as hot as noon, with no sun in the sky? Because of that, i believe practise and qualy will be at night as well.

Date: December 17, 2007 06:09PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
all that energy to light up a race track for three days, what a waste. unless they use energy efficient bulbs of course.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: December 17, 2007 08:18PM
Posted by: gav
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> all that energy to light up a race track for three
> days, what a waste. unless they use energy
> efficient bulbs of course.

It's probably use only about 0.5% of the energy it takes to get the cars there in the first place, so I can't see energy being a big concern - they'll probably milk it by publicising it as an energy efficient event though, all in line with how F1 will be in a few years.
Date: December 17, 2007 08:44PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
yes but its all in proportion, 0.5% of the energy it takes to get the cars there in the first place is still a hell of a lot, and running around in q3 burning fuel wont help their argument either.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: December 18, 2007 12:03AM
Posted by: Frantic
In Argentina, our our average viewing time is 9 am the europeans, 2-3 am the asian races (I hate wake up 1.30, but im a F1 slave ;)) and the american races are 2 pm.

Date: December 18, 2007 07:54AM
Posted by: super__alonso
There is an article in the December issue of F1Racing about lighting that makes intresting reading. I'll put it up ASAP.
Date: December 18, 2007 02:09PM
this article?

Page1, Page2

only did them at 150dpi.

Date: December 18, 2007 02:21PM
Posted by: brnco
There is also an article about best grid in f1 history in terms of number of WCs competeing.
It says it was 1978 Austrian gp but it is complete BS since there was only 3 WC (Fittipaldi, Lauda and Hunt)
other 5 (Andretti, Scheckter, Jones, Rosberg and Piquet) will be WCs but in the future.

So IMO 1999 Australian gp was stronger in terms of WCs (Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen)

And if you want to count future WCs than even '08 Australian Gp can beat that. because who can say that
Hamilton, Rosberg, Sutil, Kovalainen, Massa, Kubica, vettel, Bourdias, will never be WC plus two (Raikkonen and Alonso)
it would make the field of 10 WCs according to that logic.

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy