Technical questions

Posted by slicer 
Re: Technical questions
Date: January 17, 2008 07:19AM
Posted by: casabonka
They were going to fix numbers again (for merchandice reasons) after the 02 season (I think 02). This was going ahead until Sauber protested after their good season where they would've gone from car 16-17 to 7-8, so due to them whinging they left it the same... Which I think is good, they deserve to be numbered according to success.
Date: January 30, 2008 03:38AM
Posted by: slicer
another ?. this time about the 60's cars. I noticed how the engine sticks out. But where does it get air from? I looked at close-up pix of the engine part. All i found were the electrical wires for the spark plugs and the fuel lines. There is absolutly no air feed to the engine, exept for the openning at the nose. But i find it impossilbe to squeeze air from the nose right by the cockpit into the engine, where again, there is nothing resembling a purpose built air feed.

These are sum pix. Hopefully they'll help

Date: January 30, 2008 08:11AM
Posted by: brnco
Actually those engines were cooled by water not by air. Air did infact cool water and than the water went through the pipes into the engine. Radiator itself was mounted in the nose of the car. well I'm just joking.

Seriously now, those engines didn't need to be cooled because they were old. And the air intake in the nose was ment to cool the driver's feet.

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: January 30, 2008 08:30AM
Posted by: gav
1st WTF: Where did my post go?!

2nd WTF: WTF are you on about Brnco? You do realise engines need air to work, yeah? It's got nothing to do with cooling.
Date: January 30, 2008 08:46AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
there is nothing resembling a purpose built air feed.

The intakes are under those leather covers aren't they?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 08:47AM by DaveEllis.
Date: January 30, 2008 09:02AM
My original post:

I know less about engines than I do about Brncos DNA (both of them), so I might be way off the mark here, but see those covers? Spot what's missing here:

If a mod would care to tell me why on earth this was deleted I'd appreciate it.

Are we having posts deleted for even the slightest bit of mild pee taking, or is the forum software just randomly pruning posts now?
Date: January 30, 2008 09:23AM
Take a wild and imaginative guess.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 30, 2008 09:28AM
Posted by: TC
You insulted Brnco, the official forum cock!
Date: January 30, 2008 09:39AM
He just sits around waiting for a couple of us to post so he can reach down for the "report post" button. I bet he clicks it before he even reads the post. The sad thing is that the mods just bow to his every wish. Had Brnco posted that about, say, Muks, would the post have been deleted? Had, say, Muks posted it about, say, Glyn, would it have been deleted?
Date: January 30, 2008 10:23AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
LOL @ this thread! ;)

I may be completely wrong, but when an engine is in the open like that, it doesn't necessarily need a dedicated air intake "channel", because it's sucking and expelling the air through the pistons as the car is moving along. The air intake only became totally necessary with engine covers.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 30, 2008 11:31AM
Posted by: chet
If only we could have the engine exposed like that now :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 02, 2008 08:40PM
Posted by: MarcLister
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Iam special ;)

Specially annoying? ;-)

SexySam182 Wrote:
> Not really a techincal question, but better than
> starting a new thread.
>
> Why in the 80s and early 90s did Ferrari race with
> numbers 27 and 28? (obviouly not when they were 1
> and 2). And why did they stop doing so aftaer
> Schumacher arrived?

I once got told that if Ferrari had a crap season and would have had numbers in the middle of the field, that Ferrari would throw a tantrum and demand the last two numbers available. So unless they got 1 + 2, they'd be ashamed and go for the last ones.

chet Wrote:
> If only we could have the engine exposed like that
> now :D

But then brnco's special engine cooling water would leak out!

Can I get me a Chet LOL for that?
Date: February 02, 2008 09:16PM
ok still kinda hazy but i think you guys mean that the air intake is those cylindrical objects with the mesh on them sticking out of the engine block.

But wouldn't all the air just rush past the air intakes when at high speeds? I guess thats why they started adding air channels in the 70's to direct the airflow to the engine.

Hmmm then why the leather things. Are they trying to keep the mesh shiny and clean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:22PM by slicer.
Date: February 02, 2008 09:50PM
slicer Wrote:
> Hmmm then why the leather things. Are they trying
> to keep the mesh shiny and clean?

Stop dust and dirt getting into the engine? ;-)
Date: February 03, 2008 06:09AM
ok still kinda hazy but i think you guys mean that the air intake is those cylindrical objects with the mesh on them sticking out of the engine block.

But wouldn't all the air just rush past the air intakes when at high speeds? I guess thats why they started adding air channels in the 70's to direct the airflow to the engine.

The engine creates negative pressure, sucking air in. Not the most efficient way of doing things, but it was the 1960s.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 03, 2008 12:36PM
Posted by: danny87
That is a beautiful car though

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Date: February 05, 2008 03:54AM
i agree with dannymeister. That is a pretty car there. Not only that, but i think i have the ability to drive that without getting blinded by speed. I remember sum1 saying that journalists would drive the 70's cars to show off or something.

But yes, it is a great looking car.
Date: February 06, 2008 01:44PM
Posted by: chet
Idk, I saw the vid of JB driving the RA302(?) and though it was a demonstration the thing still look like when it accelerated you eyes would end up in the back of your head.

i remember seeing that comment about the journalists somewhere but though i guess not many of us know what they were like to drive but they looked hard on videos because of the sliding but my head tells me that it was because they ran bias ply tires didnt they? i still find it hard to believe about journalists driving them.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 06, 2008 02:52PM
chet Wrote:
> Idk, I saw the vid of JB driving the RA302(?) and
> though it was a demonstration the thing still look
> like when it accelerated you eyes would end up in
> the back of your head.
>
> i remember seeing that comment about the
> journalists somewhere but though i guess not many
> of us know what they were like to drive but they
> looked hard on videos because of the sliding but
> my head tells me that it was because they ran bias
> ply tires didnt they? i still find it hard to
> believe about journalists driving them.

Murray drove the McLaren (can't remember which one... 1984 perhaps?) so even with the cars being much more sophisticated in the 80's than the ones we're talking about here, ordinary people can drive them. You won't get journalists going setting timed laps, but they mustn't have been that difficult to drive.

Remember reading some motor journalist taking a 60's Cooper for a spin, though I've no idea which one. I may still have the article on my PC at home. Race Sim Central's GPL section is a haven for this sort of thing, as they're always after old photos and videos of the 60's cars, and journalists driving the cars inevitably lead to more detailed photos than from standard track-side photography.
Date: February 06, 2008 04:23PM
Posted by: J i m
It's not uncommon for journalists to have tests in F1 cars. But generally the revs are limited, and they're sent out on intermediate tyres.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy