Technical questions

Posted by slicer 
Re: Technical questions
Date: December 10, 2007 07:24PM
Posted by: senninho
I seem to remember (ages ago, so it's probably misquoted and/or wrong) that the mic for on-board shots is under the engine cover. I think it was Martin Brundle, and he was commenting on how different it sounds when you are actually sitting in the cockpit.

Date: December 10, 2007 08:50PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That's how different the engine noises from onboards are. When they were in the old-style onboard cameras, where you positioned them was where the mic was, twas why when it was on the front wing of the car it sounded different if it was, for example, on the back wing, and different again when it was on the engine cover. When they were moved to standard positions on the roll bar, the sound changed again, for the better. There's a great example of this in the 1995 Australian GP, where Ferrari and Williams had the cameras on the engine covers (3L Ferrari V12 sounded awesome BTW), Jordan had one on the front wing, McLaren had theirs on the roll bar. They all sounded a bit different.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 18, 2007 10:53PM
Posted by: slicer
ok another question. In another forum, i asked about the F1 engines and why there is 2 sounds coming from it. I was told that 1 sound is the intake valve and the other is the exhaust valve.

But this could not be since in the old v10's the lower and higher sounds were not on the same note but rather in harmony. This would mean that one of the valves would have to operate slower than the other. But that could never happen since the valves are timed and any slowing of the valves would most likely eff up the engine. So could anyone give me a solid explanation of the 2 sounds from the engine and why they differentiate in harmony with different number of cylinders
Date: December 24, 2007 02:39AM
Date: December 24, 2007 03:17PM
Posted by: chet
Not sure if its been mentioned in any way but Ive always thought the sound is much dictated by the exhausts length and shape. Not sure how true that is though. All I can safley say is the Mercedes and Honda engines sound damn good :p

Im not sure if these articles can help at all but..

[www.f1technical.net]

[www.f1technical.net]

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 24, 2007 08:44PM
ok i totally get it now! the higher piched sound is the actual engine. the lower humming sound that goes with the first sound is actually coming from the exhaust pipes!! EUREKA!! lol.

it also explained that whole chimeny thing the cars have on the sidepods. thanks chet!!

ok another question. is there a significant aerodynamic advantage between the Ferrari rear-view mirrors and the Mclaren rear-view mirrors?
Date: December 24, 2007 11:51PM
Posted by: flat tyre
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I can safley say is the Mercedes
> and Honda engines sound damn good :p

How do you tell a difference between the engine sounds? They all sound exactly the same to me... I went to the British GP this year, the only differences I noticed in engine noise were that the Mercedes was quieter, and the Honda really hurt my ears :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 25, 2007 06:35PM
Posted by: chet
Iam special ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 25, 2007 07:35PM
Posted by: Muks_C
we knew that.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 25, 2007 09:56PM
lol u guys. hmm is the drivers seat any comfy? i always notice right behind the drivers head when he sits there isnt any padding on that specific surface of the car. is there actually padding there or is it all hard just like the rest of the cars body? If it is hard, wouldn't it be really uncomfortable for the driver, making it difficult to drive?
Date: December 26, 2007 09:36AM
Posted by: gav
It's not uncomfortable (well, considering) as the seats are moulded to the exact shape of the driver. There is no room for moving, so you can't find yourself in an uncomfortable position - you're either in or you aren't. Are you talking about the padding behind the drivers heads? I'd imagine that's a safety thing as much as anything, to help soften the blow on rear impacts. Won't make much difference, but it's betting than mashing your skull off the carbon fibre as they used to.
Date: December 26, 2007 12:50PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I guess the seats are very comfortable, as the only time you ever hear the drivers moan about being uncomfortable are when they're in pain, like DC having a red hot bolt up his arse at McLaren ;)

But seats can be very comfortable without padding. Have you ever sat in a hard chair that fits your back perfectly? Much nicer than sitting in a padded chair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 26, 2007 04:54PM
Posted by: Muks_C
and Webber got a burnt arse during a race for Jaguar due to something getting very hot in his seat, and had to get the pitcrew to pour cold water down his back during the pitstops.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 26, 2007 10:41PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
flat tyre schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess the seats are very comfortable, as the
> only time you ever hear the drivers moan about
> being uncomfortable are when they're in pain, like
> DC having a red hot bolt up his arse at McLaren
> ;)
>
> But seats can be very comfortable without padding.
> Have you ever sat in a hard chair that fits your
> back perfectly? Much nicer than sitting in a
> padded chair.

yes, but the belt is really pushing you very hard in the seat, not so comfortable.

Date: December 26, 2007 11:46PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Are you talking about the padding behind the drivers heads? I'd imagine that's a safety thing as much as anything, to help soften the blow on rear impacts. Won't make much difference, but it's betting than mashing your skull off the carbon fibre as they used to.

Makes more of a difference than you'd think because it isn't just foam. If you slowly press your fingers into it, they go in. But if you hit it, it firms up and absorbs impact. It's actually really effective stuff.

yes, but the belt is really pushing you very hard in the seat, not so comfortable.

Spoken by a man who knows nothing of what he talks about.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 15, 2008 03:49AM
hmm can someone explain to me me how the barge boards are fastened to the cars?
Date: January 15, 2008 08:13AM
Posted by: SexySam182
Not really a techincal question, but better than starting a new thread.

Why in the 80s and early 90s did Ferrari race with numbers 27 and 28? (obviouly not when they were 1 and 2). And why did they stop doing so aftaer Schumacher arrived?

Date: January 15, 2008 09:24AM
Posted by: Fincent
Up until the mid 90's (I think), teams were allowed to run whatever numbers they wanted to on the cars. For some reason, Ferrari were always 27 and 28, and Williams were more often than not 5 and 6 (red five for nige). Then somebody decided that the cars needed to have constructors championship order on them...

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: January 15, 2008 05:09PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Although I have no idea how the car numbers were decided initially, Ferrari's iconic 27 & 28 actually came from Williams after Jones won the title, Ferrari had 1 & 2 for the 1979 title and therefore had to swap so Williams could have the 1 & 2. Basically in those days the team who had the current Drivers' Champion would swap with the previous year's winner to hold the 1 & 2 numbers. I have no idea how they came up with the numbers in the first place though, or why some newer teams in the '90s (Jordan for example) were allocated new numbers after a few seasons. My only guess is that with so many teams dissapearing in the early-mid '90s the FIA wanted to fill the hole of numbers that was left by these departing teams.
Date: January 15, 2008 07:18PM
Posted by: senninho
I'm pretty sure the numbers thing was more organised from '96 onwards.

Bargeboards are usually just bolted on using thin bits of carbon fibre to hold them at the correct distance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy