Technical questions

Posted by slicer 
Technical questions
Date: December 06, 2007 03:12AM
Posted by: slicer
?#1 Ok so you know how cars use their brakes by hydrualics. So where are the brake hoses on the F1 cars? Are they hidden underneath the carbon fibre of the suspension bars, or are there none at all?

?#2What specifically is causing the grinding noise when TC is applied?

?#3About the T-Cams. So if the camera has to be so tiny to fit into that small cuby in one of the sides of the T, where do they put the microphones? are they that tiny too or are they placed elsewhere?

Answer what you can. I don't need you to be uber smart in this area.

your fellow F1 fan, typing from all the way in beautiful, sunny Southern California
-Slicer
Re: Technical questions
Date: December 06, 2007 03:36AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
1) The hydralic lines are probably on the cockpit sides, inside the monocoque, though it most likely varies from team to team exactly where they put them. Some may have them on the side, some underneath.

2) That horrible grinding noise that TC causes is the engine being held back when the throttle is applied too early. If memory serves, it shuts off a cylinder temporarily until ideal traction is obtained.

3) Where the T-cams go, the microphones go. Yes, they really are that small. Have you seen spy films? :) Granted, camera technology has improved since the cameras were attached on the sides of the engine covers and on the edge of wings. This is in no small part due to the roll-over bar on the top of the car.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 06, 2007 06:26AM
Posted by: gareth
Re the microphones- ever seen tv where hosts wear teeny tiny lapel microphones clipped onto their colar? The mic itself is smaller than a fingernail in size. I'd imagine the audio feed gets transmitted together with the visual feed from the car
Date: December 06, 2007 06:31AM
again the hydraulics. I can imagine it in the monoque, but how does it get from there to the brakes. I dont see any brake lines coming from the car to the brakes.
Date: December 06, 2007 07:25AM
Posted by: brnco
1) houses go through the wishbone

2) grinning noise is caused by shutting off one or more cylinder so the stopped piston creates dissonance while other pistons are moving

3) f1 car is so loud, they do not need microphone

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: December 06, 2007 08:19AM
Posted by: gareth
brnco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3) f1 car is so loud, they do not need microphone

It's true F1 cars are loud, but you can't record sound without a mic. It would be like attempting to record vision without a camera, or driving an F1 car without an F1 car.
Date: December 06, 2007 08:20AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
brnco Wrote:

Don't make me roll out the truck of fail.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 06, 2007 09:18AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Why not do it anyway for @#$%& and giggles?! ;)

Re: the brake lines, you won't see them because 1) they'll be right up against the monocoque, probably going through the suspension housing, and 2) they're on the extreme inside of the wheel, looking over the cockpit, hidden by the enormous (in terms of caliper cooling) cooling chimney, and the suspension and steering fixings. See if you can spot it next time the wheel comes off during a pit-stop. I'm prepared to bet money it's not easily visible.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 06, 2007 10:36AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
brnco Wrote:
> 1) houses go through the wishbone
>
> 2) grinning noise is caused by shutting off one or
> more cylinder so the stopped piston creates
> dissonance while other pistons are moving
>

So So close to a non stupid post.

Date: December 06, 2007 01:35PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Why not do it anyway for @#$%& and giggles?! ;)

The Truck is busy. So a ship has been dispatched.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 06, 2007 01:53PM
Posted by: red 5
Date: December 06, 2007 04:07PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Oh great brncos back with yet more gold...

Date: December 06, 2007 04:11PM
Posted by: chet
rofl!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 06, 2007 04:44PM
Posted by: Team CLR

Brnco, even though the cars are loud enough to be picked up by microphones around the track, you still need an on board microphone so that if you are viewing from an on board camera
you have a clear audio feed of that car.If you used a trackside mic, the sound would make no sense at all because the engine sound would be constantly getting quieter and louder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 04:57PM by Team CLR.
Date: December 07, 2007 02:55AM
oh ROFLMAO @ davey!! man the stuff that happens when im away at school!! lol!

anyways, so i read the TC topic(thanx red 5! can i call you luke?) and i get how it works. But is the horrible grinding sound the excess fuel being burned off as in a backfire? Or is it that when fuel is injected into a cylinder, it just happens to be as loud as a space shuttle.

thanks you guys!

-Slicer
Date: December 09, 2007 11:37PM
BUMP!!!

oh and guys, brnco is just trying to be funny about the whole microphone thing. Even i get it
Date: December 10, 2007 08:34AM
Posted by: Nickv
No, he doesn't try to be funny. We know him well enough to know that.
Date: December 10, 2007 12:44PM
Posted by: Fincent
Question regarding the t-cam btw...why is there no wind noise? Surely if the mic is on the t-cam and the t-cam is attached to the f1 car doing 100mph+ then there should be wind noise? I think it would make sense to put the mic next to the engine and turn it way down because if you watch onboard clips then you can only hear the car itself, not other cars or slapback echo from the fencing etc that you do in trackside cameras.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: December 10, 2007 01:36PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
mic technology nowadays is pretty damn good. You can put it anywhere you want and cancel out all the stuff you don't want quite easily. Besides, if it's in the T-Cam, I'll bet it's not in the outside, so the wind thing is irrelevant.
Date: December 10, 2007 05:38PM
Posted by: mikef1
Those mics are probably positioned pointing to the rear of the car to pick up less wind resistance. In any case they have very well designed pop shields.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy