best gp to go to.. ?

Posted by chet 
best gp to go to.. ?
Date: November 14, 2007 11:50PM
Posted by: chet
I think im going to be going to a gp this coming season, but i want to get the best value for my money, well i say my money :p

i dont particulary want to go to silverstone and nor does my dad.

in peoples opinions of who have gone, can you tell me the good and bad points about the gp's you have gone too, inc price etc.

its hockenhiem for 2008 isnt it?

all things considered, that is probably my number1 atm. I know ill get a great race, i will get good vision, and its not far away and i dont expect the tickets to be expensive.

thankyouuu!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: best gp to go to.. ?
Date: November 15, 2007 12:15AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Yes Hockenheim is for 2008. I have never been to a GP but if I could go to one in 2008 I would go to Singapore as it will be the first night race you could be part of a historic day.
Date: November 15, 2007 12:40AM
Posted by: gin
well the bad point would be that you are not going to see the race as you do on TV, only some cars going by and if you lucky a few overtakings and if you are really lucky a crash in front of you :)

If I had to go to one race I would go to Monaco, as you will probably see more action and being by a seaside isn't exactly a bad place to be in the summer :)

Date: November 15, 2007 12:47AM
Posted by: Muks_C
there are massive "diamond" screens around most tracks on which you can see the action as you would at home, if you're lucky to be in a position and angle from which you can see it properly. the sun might be shining on it at an awkward angle so you might not see it very well. but take some binoculars and you might have a good chance.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 15, 2007 12:55AM
Posted by: elemental
I went to the British grand prix and it was boring basically. From our place in the stands, the TV screen was too far away to really see anything and with the car noise, there was no commentary so basically I didn't have a clue what was going on. Gave up our seats and went to Stowe to watch there, even though it was really uncomfortable sitting on a pipe, but yeah it wasn't really that much better. Only found out it was a decent race when I got home. Was really expensive too. And when you get there you realise just how much more glamarous and special TV makes things look, whereas the reality doesn't match up to it. Was alright just to experience it I guess, but I feel no desire to go to another one.
Best gp to go to? One you can fit a nice holiday around so it isn't a waste of time :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 12:56AM by elemental.
Date: November 15, 2007 01:03AM
Posted by: dierome
I went to the 2003 & 2006 US GP's and the overall experience was great. The 2003 race was historical although it was hard to follow without a TV screen. I was bloody cold as well. The tickets weren't expensive.
In 2006 I got the chance to be in front of a TV screen so I was able to watch the GP perfectly. I could follow the race as if were at home. Shame It was a snoozefest, except for JPM' crash which happened in front of my very eyes. Shame Indy is not coming back in 2008.
I'm looking forward to the 2008 Spanish GP, as I may be going to Spain as an exchange student next year.
Date: November 15, 2007 06:44AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
hei mate you planning to program that many months before the gp , and its only european ones?

just a hint mate if possible you could save the money for a decisive race , i have friends that use to do that ,in 2007 they saved the money to use in wc final and went to Brazil as it happened in that gp!
Date: November 15, 2007 06:56AM
Posted by: Razorsedge
I've been to the Australian G.P. in Adelaide a few times and Japanese G.P. at Suzuka 3 times.

Don't be 'lucky' to be in sight of the giant T.V. screens, plan for it. Get a detailed seating/circuit map before you buy your tickets. I say this because for me, my experiences in reserved seating in stands was far better than a General Admission ticket;
you get a great view(combined with the giant screens)of the race, and you are free to come and go as you please through the weekend without having to worry about someone taking your spot.

We made a mistake in 2004 of choosing seats opposite the pits on the start finish line. The start was great, and the pit-stops were interesting to see, but having the cars blast past you on a straight is awesome...once or twice but it did get boring.
Turn 1 and 2 at Suzuka are awesome places to watch, you can really see the different styles of the drivers.

Ultimately, IMO, if you can afford it, I would recommend seats in a stand where you can see a hard braking zone, as that's where mistakes, passes and all the good stuff can happen.

Cheers.

Date: November 15, 2007 09:07AM
Posted by: chet
gin, i would love to go to monaco, though the costs are wayyy to high lol.
im thinking i will probably get best value for money at a tilke drome wont i ?
malaysia was another place i wanted to visit, the country as a whole more so than just the gp, so what you suggest elemental is good, plus the whole family can go lol.
im gonna have a look around at prices then, but yeah, i figured a big screen would be essential.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 15, 2007 09:54AM
Posted by: Advong
If you don't manage to get a big screen the Kangaroo TV system they use is pretty good, fairly expensive at something like €50 for the Sunday or €75 for the weekend, but it helps you follow the race.

I went to Silverstone in '99 and the Italian Grand Prix in 2003 and 2007, both were really good experiences. I'd say if you can go with Grandstand seats, I went General admission the first two times and it was good, but I went grandstand this time and it is much better, although fairly expensive.

I'm hoping to go to a GP again next year, currently trying to work out if I can scrounge the cash together to go the Canadian GP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 09:55AM by Advong.
Date: November 15, 2007 11:32AM
Posted by: johnny bravo1225
ive heard spa is amazing... been to melbourne 2 times... one was an amazing year... webbers first race and he held off mika salo for 5th... it was brilliant the crowd was so into it... the second was terrible... MS won by a lap and it was uncomfortable, hungover and @#$%&... its all about the screens... hot weather can really ruin the day if your not it the shade and have a fixed grandstand seat.
Date: November 15, 2007 12:27PM
Posted by: marwood82
to be honest, Silverstone gets a lot of undeserved stick in my opinion. yes it doesnt always produce the most exciting action but from a paying spectator point of view you don't have to spash out on the plush seats to get close to the action and given its very flat if you get in the right place you can generally see right across the other side of the circuit too. I've been plenty of times over the years and had great weekend.

for the european races,

the only one i've been to for the GP is Spa.

its hard to get your head round just how big a complex it is.
Was sat in the grandstand outside of Eau Rouge (gotta love free corporate tickets ;-) ) but the only parts you could see were the run down out of la source and then up to the brow of the hill. i'd image most of the rest of the circuit suffers from the same problem. Having said that there are big screens dotted about and it was a really enjoyable weekend and a real party atmosphere inside the circuit.(worth it just for the waffels if you ask me!)

The main issue with spa is that it really is in the middle of nowhere,
The town itself is nice and there are hostels up in the hills around it, but the hotels in the town tend to whack their prices up and they're usually booked out by the teams anyway. So you'll probably want to think about camping if you go.

Camping aint a bad option to be honest, done it at silverstone, saves a lot of hassle getting in and out each day and theres usually plenty of stuff going on in and around the campsites once the on track action finishes.

general ticketing advice,

general admission is the cheapest and not necessarly a bad option. certainly at silverstone and spa you can get a good view from them. The downside is that to get a good view you need to be in position VERY early as the best spots go quickly. If you've got a grandstand ticket, they do cost a bit more but you know you've got a good spot and you can spend more time having a look round or seeing other parts of the circuit.

as has been said before, check the circuit map carefully as this will help to ensure you get the most out of your money.

and i echo what Advong says if you're there for the weekend, Kangaroo TV is a must! i got one at silverstone this year more out of curiosity than anything else but was seriously impressed.
you get live tv feed, you can manualy switch between on car cameras, you get laptime, position and pitstop and audio commentary. its way better than just watching a big screen.

brief example of it here,

£50 for the weekend, but trust me you will get your moneys worth out of it and it really adds to the experience. Only thing is i'm not sure if they're avaliable at all the races so you might want to check on their website what they're doing this year.

Good luck on planning your trip, i'm sure you'll have a wkd time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 12:53PM by marwood82.
Date: November 16, 2007 03:51AM
Posted by: casabonka
Ive been to the OZ GP twice, 2003 and 2006, and its great if you want to plan a Australian trip like most brits do, but also Kiss are now playing after the race!

Very good viewing points from all over the track, great atmosphere, and those diamond screens are everywhere.

Only bad thing is the miserable weather that comes and goes all day... but for a brit, perfect I spose!

I would love to go to Singapore though, or Monaco as you can get so close!
Date: March 20, 2008 08:32PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Hey

Am thinking of going to the F1 Test session also in June. Is it worth paying £60 for the pit lane walk and paddock access? Has anyone done this before?

I found it here through the seller on ebay. Only 40 tickets left.

[www.classicdreams.co.uk]

Date: March 21, 2008 05:38AM
Posted by: razgriz
im on singapore!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy