Surfers Paradise in frame to host OZ GP

Posted by Fincent 
Date: November 02, 2007 12:27PM
Posted by: Fincent
Friday, 02, November, 2007, 10:49

Rumours have resurfaced that the Australian Grand Prix may switch from Melbourne to Surfers Paradise in 2010 after the Queensland Government revealed that it had been approached by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

According to a report in the Australian Daily Telegraph newspaper, Albert Park's fate hangs in the balance as the Victorian Government evaluates whether to renew its contract which runs out in two year's time, following the news that the 2007 race ran at a loss of more than $34m.

Victorian Premier John Brumby said on Thursday that he is considering his options on the future of the race and would review its merits and value to Melbourne next year.

"I have set two tests," said Brumby.

"It's got to be a good event for the state.

"And it's like anything we do, it's got to represent good value for money."

Meanwhile it Ecclestone's search for a potential replacement to Albert Park, which has hosted the Australian Grand Prix since 1996, may be at an end.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh's government said it will give 'appropriate consideration' to Ecclestone's advances but made it clear that it was not prepared to run the race at a loss.

Much also depends on the future of the Champ Car World Series, which has struggled in recent years to attract sponsorship and frontline drivers and teams in the wake of its split with the IRL.

The Surfers Paradise Champ Car event has been a fixture since 1990, is an institution for Australian race fans and has become the series' blue riband race.

However the venue would sit nicely in Ecclestone's next generation blueprint for GP venues following the introduction of high profile coastal street races in Valencia and Abu Dhabi.

Queensland Events Corporation chairman Des Power admitted the Queensland Government had already been approached but added that obstacles would need to be overcome before the race could become a reality.

"It was a clandestine approach but the price tag was enormous," he said.

"If we were again approached by F1, any proposition would have to be given appropriate consideration.

"There's no doubt Surfers Paradise is a terrific venue for an international motorsport event. It's become more than a car race."

Source: ITV-F1.com

Discuss :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Re: Surfers Paradise in frame to host OZ GP
Date: November 02, 2007 12:31PM
Posted by: brnco
mmmm to narrow for modern f1 standards. Who knows. Maybie Eastern Creek? Phillip Island? There are some interesting venues in Australia.

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: November 02, 2007 12:56PM
Posted by: chet
Niether of the before mentioned could support an F1 race imo. Niether Eastern Creek or Phillip Island would be able to provide racing, besides imo they are too small!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 02, 2007 01:40PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
I come from Adelaide...it's awesome. But for Goodness sake go to ITV F1 and VOTE for Bathurst! The thought of F1 here is just orgasmic!!!

Don't think...GO...Do it!!!

Date: November 02, 2007 01:45PM
Posted by: brnco
yeah right Bathurst!?
Can we vote for Peaks Peak hill climb to host an f1 race?

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: November 02, 2007 01:59PM
Posted by: Nickv
No.

I don't really know which track could host the Australian GP other than Aidelade. Sufers Paradise seems a bit too narrow for F1.
Date: November 02, 2007 02:27PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Bathurst would be awesome. You know it.

Folks would cry 'safety, safety, safety' managers would cry 'grandstands, grandstands, grand stands' and teams would cry 'facilities, facilities, facilities.'

But deep down in your heart, you know it's perfect for EXACTLY those three reasons.

Date: November 02, 2007 03:14PM
Posted by: gav
At no point in that does it mention any potential SP GP would be held on the same circuit as that of the ChampCars. It would probably be a bastardised version of it though.
Date: November 02, 2007 04:31PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Bathurst would be awesome. You know it.

Bathurst doesn't even have a license for open wheel cars. Team Australia needed special permits to run a tarted up CART Reynard on demonstration laps there.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 02, 2007 06:25PM
Posted by: Frantic
And Adelaide?

Date: November 02, 2007 07:17PM
Posted by: chet
Melbourne is a great venue for the AustralianGP.

And with F1 cars the way they are I couldn't imagine a better place.

Maybe Adelaide, but I doubt it would happen.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 02, 2007 10:48PM
Posted by: mortal
Other recent suggestions heard on Melbourne talk-back radio have been; Sandown Park Raceway and Calder Thunderdome. Neither of which are suitable.
Sandown will never happen because they want to stop all motor racing there, the Supercar V8's event, the Sandown 500 is moving in 08 to Phillip Island and Calder is miles from anywhere. Phillip Island is too small, and Bathurst is too big and too far from a major city centre. The facilities would have to be re-built and the NSW government wouldn't wear it. My bet is the Gold Coast or a slim chance it will go back to Adelaide. Time will tell.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 02, 2007 11:46PM
Posted by: stipe
Dont know much about Australians circuits (just from racing games), but realy dont see proper alternative for Albert Park Circut. Must admit that I like some aussie circuits specialy Bathurst and Surfers Paradise but they just arent suitable for F1 ( like some actual F1 tracks auugh*hungaroring*kghh).
Date: November 05, 2007 03:13AM
Posted by: gareth
Bathurst would rock incredibly but would never happen in a million years.

Sadly, short of the NSW Govt stumping up a heap of cash and running a street race around the Olympic precinct at Homebush, or the Qld Govt spending big on that new Gold Coast development, I think an Aus GP could be at an end. No current facility could handle F1 without a major, major development of infrastructure. Would be good to watch F1 cars lapping Symonds Plains in about 35 seconds though!

There's a queue of developing nations falling over themselves to get a GP with big brand new facilities that sadly I don't think we could compete with :(
Date: November 05, 2007 03:36AM
Posted by: johnny bravo1225
there will always be an Australian gp... it will go to gold coast 95% but it may end up in sydney, on the streets.

BRING BACK ADELAIDE YEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! not gonna happen :(
Date: November 05, 2007 05:29AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
I wouldn't be so quick to write off Adelaide. The state government is very interested in hosting it again, and talks have been held with Ecclestone to that aim. Whats holding our bid up is the Adelaide City Council's refusal to cooperate on the proposed grandstand and circuit redevelopment plans which is extremely shortsighted on their part. The proposal gives us the opportunity to bid back the grand prix, as well as improved capacity to host major horse racing events at Victoria park. It will also return a significant amount of parkland space back to the public and more trees will be added.

Date: November 05, 2007 06:12AM
Red_Bull Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't be so quick to write off Adelaide. The
> state government is very interested in hosting it
> again, and talks have been held with Ecclestone to
> that aim. Whats holding our bid up is the Adelaide
> City Council's refusal to cooperate on the
> proposed grandstand and circuit redevelopment
> plans which is extremely shortsighted on their
> part. The proposal gives us the opportunity to bid
> back the grand prix, as well as improved capacity
> to host major horse racing events at Victoria
> park. It will also return a significant amount of
> parkland space back to the public and more trees
> will be added.

Well that's very interesting isn't it? I didn't realise that the SA Govt was keen on possibly getting the GP back. I knew there was a bit of sh*tfight over the redevelopment of the main straight and how it affected the hore racing track. Could this be a reason to 'encourage' the Council to give the go-ahead?

Do you know why the V8s use the shortened circuit? Would F1 retrun to the extra couple of corners and longer Brabham straight?
Date: November 05, 2007 06:13AM
seems you live in Adelaide too. the v8's are so cheap in comparison, and we really do have the premier round... (not including bathurst). hopefully they will sort it out, but i just think itll be too expensive, where have you read/heard that the state govt is interested in hosting it again?
Date: November 05, 2007 06:16AM
> Do you know why the V8s use the shortened circuit?
> Would F1 retrun to the extra couple of corners and
> longer Brabham straight?

v8's arent as quick, i think the old one didn't match the racing as well... but yeah they definitely would change back... we had a lemans 24 hour race in 2000 and they reverted back to the old circuit... it really doesnt make that much of a difference in terms of disruption to the traffic (cause roads obviously have to be closed) the shortened v8 circuit is very cool, got an amazing corner, the sweeper, but i think it would be too dangerous in f1.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 06:23AM by johnny bravo1225.
Date: November 05, 2007 06:45AM
johnny bravo1225 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> v8's arent as quick, i think the old one didn't
> match the racing as well... but yeah they
> definitely would change back... the
> shortened v8 circuit is very cool, got an amazing
> corner, the sweeper, but i think it would be too
> dangerous in f1.

I wondered if that was all or if it was because of some new road or development that made the old layout impossible. The sweeper is cool, but so was the old sweeper onto the back straight where Mika did his best to destroy himself ;)

From memory, the proposed new stuff to do with horse racing track meant that the main straight moved about 50m sideways- would that mean the first chicane is gone? That would suck as that's got to be one of the best 'first corners' ever on a circuit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy