In France, Alain Prost opens his heart to speak about Ayrton Senna(IMPRESSIVE)

Posted by Rodrigo007 
after the end of 2007 season lets begin talk about another good and interesting f1 facts while we hopefully wait for more one good year

this is an interview that globo made and showed in the morning of sunday before the race of Brazil , incredible stuff one of the better declarations a legendary driver did so far , after talking about alot of things that includes what he thinks of f1 today , what title he liked more , why France that is a tradictional country in motorsports is suffering with a lack of good pilots , hamilton vs. alonso , that he believes the better veredict was to punish pilots too in stepneygate case and so many other things...

as the interview is large and in portuguese , i decided to translate the better part ,when he finally talks about senna , tbh i never thought that they had that level of friendship ...many ppl in relationship sites in Brazil declared got tears while seeing it , yes or no its very touching anyway.

(interviewer: Sônia Bridi)
SB- Viviane, sister of Senna, spoke to me about you with great affection. She said that after the accident , you went to Brazil to visit his family, was on the farm of them, and it was very important to them ...

AP - I wanted to come to Brazil for the funeral, but I did not know whether it would be well accepted by the family and the fans. I did not want to offend anyone, but I wanted to be there. When Ayrton died, it was the end of my story in F-1 in a certain way. We did the story together. I think I was more or less like an idol for him, but he wanted to beat me. He really wanted to beat me, destroy me because that was his motivation . I really wanted to go to Brazil, and it was very important to me to be with his family, with the fans. When he died, all came talk to me. And that is very impressive. Nobody can talk about Ayrton without mentioning my name and me without talking about Ayrton. And even today, more than 20 years after our first fight, we always back to this story. It was important this time with his family, I understood a little better who he was, I understood many things and even today maintain contact with his family, we have a good relationship, and this is more important.

SB-What is the memory that you have about him?

AP - The bad times for which I spent with him on the track. Some dangerous moments, I thought that sometimes he had gone too far. But this is our history. But two or three months before the accident I think I met the real Ayrton.

SB-He talked with you the day he died ...

AP-It was an unbelievable moment. Not only on the day of the accident, but in the days before, we talked quite by telephone. In several years struggling in the F-1 we hardly ever talk on the phone, but in the last 2 or 3 months he usually calls me, spoke about his motivation , said that he was not happy with his car, that was not happy with the team he was convinced that Benetton and Michael Schumacher were cheating, using electronic resources prohibited, then picking him very annoyed with this, he asked me 2 or 3 times if I wanted to join a committee of security in the association of pilots, we have been very time in the phone one week before he died. When I arrived for the race in Imola, on Friday to comment on the race for a French television, we had an initial discussion on security, also on Saturday, there was the incident with Ratzenberger, with Rubens Barrichello ... Ayrton was not the one that I knew he was really worried, more than worried, for different reasons, of course for several reasons, but he was troubled. On Sunday, at the time of the lunch, a little before the race, I was with some people from television and he came. No pilot does this, he usually wants to be alone, concentrate, but he came, walked between people, came about me to talk something... And it was nothing of importance. Everyone was watching that, in silence. It seemed that he wanted to be around me. I felt that as a sign of weakness. It was the first time that i saw him by that way, he was always very strong, when he was fighting with me he always used to do small things to show me how he was stronger, which is normal, is part of the game. But that day, I thought "this is not the Ayrton, he is fragile." He lost 5, 10 minutes, come talk to me for nothing, and then returned to the garage. Then I finished the lunch very fast and I came to find him. I went in the garage and he was preparing for the race, alone, I talked to him 2 or 3 minutes, i asked what he was expecting of the race, he said he was not very hopefully, spoke of the competition on the suspicion of cheating, a little more about safety, but he was very happy because I went there to talk with him, and that was the last time I spoke with him. And I really felt badly for him, because I had never seen him like he was. I was sure he would not be champion that year, because even if he fight in the car, I felt that he was depressed ... I do not want to make any kind of speculation ... But to me, as a person, I will always remember that day and in the morning, when he said in tv, "alain, I miss you." Those words he said to me several times by phone, when he explained to me that could not find motivation to run against ... I do not know who, michael and the other pilots ... And he told me: "Please, come back." I was laughing, said, "okay, I'll get a bad car, you will hit me ..." "ok, but I need you," was really unbelievable, unbelievable, beautiful story but with a bad end.

SB-Do you think in the end he felt a big brother to you , in the end?

AP - (silence). No. I do not think. Perhaps in the end, but the beginning I was like a target to him. When he missed that target, he lost his way ... It is funny, because we were talking and talking about the possibility, perhaps one day, that I be head of a team and he as my pilot ... But us as brothers, I do not know ... But at least building something together and this has been strong. We didn't cause serious accidents, we didn't get any injury when fighting, and in the end it seemed that it would be a bad story that ends well. But he was really different, I always said that Ayrton was different, you may not want to compare him with another pilot , he was really different.

END

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 01:18PM by Rodrigo007.
No words. I don't know what to say.

Simply beautiful. Thanxs Rodrigo007

Nice article and a great story of how Ayrton tried to build bridges with his arch rival at a time when Ayrton was going through difficulties with an uncompetitive car.
I do believe that Alain overstates beating him as Ayrton's real motivation. Ayrton was always motivated to win and with Michael being the sports rising star he had fresh incentive to win the title for that season.
Thanks very much for translating that. A somewhat sad but great read.
Story tells, and it's true, (even if it's brougth here by b-man), that Ayrton had Austrian flag wrapped inside his racing suit, as he was planning to commemorate Ratzenberger on the parade lap after the race. Thing is Ayrton was really shaken that weekend, and he needed a familiar face (Prost) around so that's whay he called him, he was lost I think, he was too emotional. Who knows? He maybie even knew something bad is going to happen.

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 11:23AM by brnco.
wow a very emotional read... never knew this about them two. thanks Rod. :)
Very moving interview :) I'm sure that if that terrible day hadn't have happened in 1994 then we would have had Senna as 1997 champion driving for Prost alongside Panis :). That would have been purely incredible. After all, Prost said it was the plan to come back to sport as brothers in a way.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
I don't know. Honestly I doubt about 1997 Senna driving for Prost story. They hated eachother, It was just those few weeks prior to Imola 94 that they have been close. And I have a theory about that, and it's pretty solid one.
Ayrton needed someone influentual and powerfull inside f1 circuits that could move things concerning benetton possible cheating. So that fia would set an investigation. That's what I think

For some reason Senna was mentioned alot this weekend more so than other years.

It does seem like Prost and Senna talked more after 1993, even on the podium senna pulled prost up to the top step.

Prost was the best and senna wanted to beat him he was the only driver I think senna respected to be at his level and thats why he wanted to beat him so bad.

It was like no one else mattered to senna only prost.

I think its nice they did sort things out and atleast it was sorted before senna died. Yes they would never be best mates but at least the air was clear and they were talking.
yeah brnco...i know it can sound kinda crazy , but i feel that he knew something was goin to happen too...at least i think he felt that ..

prost got a great point when he said its impressive how ppl still talk about ayrton and their(prost and him) story with a great intensity after all these years , just an example go to youtube and check ayrton tributes/videos omg , its like he didnt die , remember he died in a time internet wasnt what we see today and even with that we got a guy with the same or so mauch more amount of stuff than any other famous pilot today , for me i believe he wont be never forget .

ppl can say "nah they born to win dont need to push hard they had the necessary talent" but the true is that they fought for that with all determination possible , thats why alot of ppl has this admiration on them , they never gave up.

in alonso words in any interview i remember exactly what he said after he caught his 2nd title :
"alonso , do you wanna match schumacher?"
he said : "no, i wanna match Senna"
dont need to be that smart to understand he didnt mean that just wanna have 3 titles but that he wanna have the recognize and admiration that kind of ppl like Ayrton and Prost have.

tbh im not a guy that use to get sad by everything emotional i read but anyways i got very impressed after read these prost words,its like monza972 said its all very emotional

for me it shows the true spirit of a racer im not saying about true formula 1 spirit but its the true competitors spirit in the best meaning of this

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 04:04PM by Rodrigo007.
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It does seem like Prost and Senna talked more
> after 1993, even on the podium senna pulled prost
> up to the top step.

There's something fundamentally wrong with that statement, as Senna was never on the podium after 1993... :\

marcl Wrote:
> It was like no one else mattered to senna only
> prost.

I disagree with that. Prost was Senna's biggest rival, particularly as they were team-'mates', but his rivalries with Mansell were important to him too. As Mike said, Senna didn't really have particular enemies on the track (though Prost may feel it as it happened so often), he just wanted to beat whoever was out there. He was just an extraordinarily driven man.
Sorry australia 1993 and then after the season they talked more.
prost got a great point when he said its impressive how ppl still talk about ayrton and their(prost and him) story with a great intensity after all these years , just an example go to youtube and check ayrton tributes/videos omg , its like he didnt die , remember he died in a time internet wasnt what we see today and even with that we got a guy with the same or so mauch more amount of stuff than any other famous pilot today , for me i believe he wont be never forget .

It's because there is a bit of James Dean effect there. (alsaw in Villeneuve-pironi chapter) there were a lot of other great rivalries and duels in f1, but they somehow faded away.
Fangio-Moss
Lauda-Hunt
Mansell-Piquet (imagine the size of the 86-87 chapter if mansell was killed at suzuka 87)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 04:16PM by brnco.
> Fangio-Moss

Fangio are Moss were friends from the beginning!

Thank you for translating! This give a new spot to me..... it was a sad WE and the thing with the flag of austria in ayrtons suit makes him very nice in my eyes, nicer than he was......
I remember watching footage of the funeral back in 94. I saw Prost - I think he was a pallbearer and looked like he was trying his best to keep the tears back and I innocently (and carelessly) thought out loud that they must have been great friends - for which my sister virtually clipped me over the head for being so stupid - which was fair enough. But I mean, after reading articles like that, maybe there was some truth in it. Sad read - very insightful too. Thanks for posting it :)

Even reading magazines reporting on the GP at the time, they all talked of Senna acting out of character for most of the weekend - ever since Rubens crashed but especially after Roland died. Breaking rituals, like stepping back out of the car on the grid which he never usually did. I think one legend said that he phoned his girlfriend the night before and told her he felt something bad would happen on Sunday.
Post moved to another thread. I did this just because I respect Ayrton, not because some of you complained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 08:13AM by brnco.
you had to go and infect a good thread with your silly comment, didn't you Brnco?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
brnco Wrote:
> You see Michael, no matter how many titles you
> win, no matter how much money you'll donate to
> charity, there will never ba a thread like this
> about you, even when you die...not even if aliens
> were to kidnap you...nothing can be done there
> Michael...nothing, you'll be forgotten soon...

So the most successful driver in F1 will be forgotten soon.. ok.
No. This is a great thread and it doesn't deserve to be tarnished by brnco and his dislike of Schumacher. At least keep this untarnished...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy