Customer cars idea killed off?

Posted by flat tyre 
Customer cars idea killed off?
Date: October 19, 2007 07:48PM
Posted by: flat tyre
[www.itv-f1.com]

Yay at Bernie seeing sense, but what will become of Prodrive now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: Customer cars idea killed off?
Date: October 19, 2007 07:53PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
bernie said theres no prodrive anymore so forget about it...

and the good news is that chevrolet and hyundai are coming for 2009 / 2010!!!
Date: October 19, 2007 08:07PM
Posted by: tripleM
Hope Richards sues them all.

Date: October 19, 2007 08:14PM
Posted by: chet
this is unaceptable...

how can this happen when clearly SA and STR are using customer cars?!

If STR runs a customer car next year it will show what a mess f1 has become.

I sat STR because SA are reportedly making their own car, they dont want the RA107 and tbh, with the way the 107went I doubt they would want to commit to the RA108 ;-)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 19, 2007 08:34PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Complete farce, especially when Customer Cars have been a part of F1 since the 50s.

All of the entries that put forward a proposal for 2008 did so on the understanding that customer cars would be legal. STR and Super Aguri are running them, knowing they'd be legal too. And then the FIA turns round and says no, giving Prodrive, STR and Super Aguri no time to prepare any sort of entry for 2008?

That's some good grounds for a law suit from all 3 teams IMO.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2007 09:33PM
Posted by: Hologide
I don't like the idea of customer cars. Then again, I don't like the idea of another Toyota, either...
Date: October 19, 2007 09:46PM
Posted by: IWE
Hologide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like the idea of customer cars. Then
> again, I don't like the idea of another Toyota,
> either...

And with current costs only 3rd option wud be to have more of those über-rich-showoff-wannabees who come to F1 just to show their faces till they get bored and sell team again.. :S

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 19, 2007 10:03PM
Posted by: bestobritish
Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> bernie said theres no prodrive anymore so forget
> about it...
>
>
> and the good news is that chevrolet and hyundai
> are coming for 2009 / 2010!!!

Do you have a source for chevrolet coming in, because they are owned by GM who are absaloutly skint!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 19, 2007 10:22PM
Clearly not that skint, running factory backed teams in ALMS, LMS, Le Mans, Grand Am GTs, Grand Am DPs, NASCAR (all tiers), V8 Supercar Championship, World Touring Car Championship, British Touring Car Championship, Speed GT World Series and a whole range of US lower series.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2007 10:28PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
woo byebye customer cars!

much better :)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 19, 2007 10:53PM
In all honesty, I'd much rather see increased parity in the F1 field, rather than another team. Formula1 should stop worrying about filling the grid, and instead, try to ensure that every car is competing fairly for race wins.

Ensuring customer cars are not introduced is a step in the right direction - you only have to look at MotoGP/WSBK to know that customer items is a sure way to prevent non-manufacturers from competing for ultimate titles.
Date: October 19, 2007 11:00PM
Ensuring customer cars are not introduced is a step in the right direction - you only have to look at MotoGP/WSBK to know that customer items is a sure way to prevent non-manufacturers from competing for ultimate titles.

Using the same logic I can say looking at F1 shows that not having customer items is a sure way to prevent non-manufacturers from competing for ultimate titles.

Don't know why people are getting all up in arms against customer cars. Not only are they as old as F1 themselves, but teams like McLaren were born because of customer cars. Not to mention that F1 cars already run a whole host of customer parts. Brakes, tyres, engines, fuel, electronics, engine management systems, etc.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2007 11:18PM
Posted by: count.bazley
I agree with Dave. Customer cars will do more good than bad for F1. It provides a cheaper alternative for independant teams to run on a more competitive basis and most likely wouldn't dilute the prestige of F1.

I have seen many people complain that customer cars will turn F1 the way of Champ Car (or similar) and end up with 2 or 3 chassis at most that are far superior and so all of the teams use them. Two vital points, most Champ Car chassis throughout the years have been built by third-party manufacturers who have little to do with the teams themselves, and the manufacturers in F1 wouldn't dream of using another's chassis (note I said manufacturers and not teams).

In my opinion there's nothing worse than a small grid in motorsport.
Date: October 19, 2007 11:23PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
F1 - the never ending joke.
Date: October 19, 2007 11:35PM
bestobritish Wrote:
> Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > bernie said theres no prodrive anymore so
> forget
> > about it...
> >
> >
> > and the good news is that chevrolet and hyundai
> > are coming for 2009 / 2010!!!
>
> Do you have a source for chevrolet coming in,
> because they are owned by GM who are absaloutly
> skint!!

Bernie in an interview in Brazil(interlagos press) :

"Bernie Ecclestone, reveals that the Prodrive wont race in 2008 with the ideals of purchasing package from another team, indicated that two manufacturers have expressed interest in joining the F-1. But it is something here for two or three seasons.

In quick passage by the press room, Bernie said that there is a possibility of two manufacturers of cars will integrate the championship, which amounts to eight the number of constructors. One is the General Motors, which use the Chevrolet brand, the American market. The other would come from the South Korea - probably the Hyundai, which benefit from the inclusion of the country in the calendar in 2010. "

Currently have teams and / or provide engines to other Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, BMW, Honda and Toyota."
Date: October 19, 2007 11:49PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Ensuring customer cars are not introduced is a
> step in the right direction - you only have to
> look at MotoGP/WSBK to know that customer items is
> a sure way to prevent non-manufacturers from
> competing for ultimate titles.
>
> Using the same logic I can say looking at F1 shows
> that not having customer items is a sure way to
> prevent non-manufacturers from competing for
> ultimate titles.
>
> Don't know why people are getting all up in arms
> against customer cars. Not only are they as old as
> F1 themselves, but teams like McLaren were born
> because of customer cars. Not to mention that F1
> cars already run a whole host of customer parts.
> Brakes, tyres, engines, fuel, electronics, engine
> management systems, etc.

Well, I disagree to a certain extent.
For a starters there's a huge difference between running customer brakes and customer chassis, considering the huge difference that aero makes to car's performance these days.

I wouldn't object to customer cars, on the basis that there was no such thing as a constructors championship. That's my main gripe. That, and any team with a customer car has pretty much forfeited the oppertunity to compete for race wins.
Date: October 19, 2007 11:59PM
That, and any team with a customer car has pretty much forfeited the oppertunity to compete for race wins.

Any team that isn't fully works backed from a major car manufacturer has also forfeited the opportunity to compete for race wins, and in the case of some teams, died completely. What's worse?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 20, 2007 01:28AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hologide Wrote:
> In all honesty, I'd much rather see increased
> parity in the F1 field, rather than another team.
> Formula1 should stop worrying about filling the
> grid, and instead, try to ensure that every car is
> competing fairly for race wins.
>
> Ensuring customer cars are not introduced is a
> step in the right direction - you only have to
> look at MotoGP/WSBK to know that customer items is
> a sure way to prevent non-manufacturers from
> competing for ultimate titles.

Nah, I'd rather see a larger field. The races were always great bacl in 1992 for example when there was a full grid. I do agree that the cometition must be fair but F1 NEEDS a full grid. And why stop at 24?? Why not more? The modern tracks have enough garages.
Date: October 20, 2007 01:37AM
well i think basically increasing the number of cars in grid means increase the chance of something diferent happen so increase the possibility of a good race
Date: October 20, 2007 02:22AM
Posted by: sasjag
Hologide Wrote:
> I wouldn't object to customer cars, on the basis
> that there was no such thing as a constructors
> championship. That's my main gripe.

well you could have a constructors championship, but only teams that construct (design) the car can score towards it, which was what was originally going to happen.

customer cars would be very good for F1. it would not lead to single make grids, or 2 or 3 chassis, because their will always be a performance advantage from designing and building your own cars. customer cars just provide a more financially viable way of going F1 racing

i also find it ironic they dont want customer cars, when spec aero packages etc are being mooted

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy