FIA probes McLaren for Alonso sabotage

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
FIA probes McLaren for Alonso sabotage
Date: October 11, 2007 01:55AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Saw this in the news, didn't know if anyone else has mentioned it as I haven't seen it posted here. [www.f1complete.com]

Oct.9 (GMM) F1's governing body has opened a new investigation into McLaren, amid claims that the Woking based team may have sabotaged Fernando Alonso's car in China, reports on Tuesday said. At the conclusion of the espionage saga last month, FIA president Max Mosley warned that the Paris body would closely monitor McLaren for signs of retribution against the Spaniard's involvement in providing evidence that ultimately cost the team $100 million and exclusion from the constructors' world championship.

The Spanish newspaper La Nueva Espana claims that Alonso's tyres were extremely over-inflated due to being heated too much prior to the 'Q3' section of qualifying in Shanghai.

"I think they are still investigating," the 26-year-old had told reporters on Sunday, 24 hours after the incident that left him baffled and six tenths slower than his teammate, championship rival and pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton. Alonso added: "I think the tyre pressures were quite high, more than normal, but I don't know if it was that or another explanation."

La Nueva Espana said the FIA is now investigating the claim.

Maybe Fernando isn't being paranoid after all. Hard for me to think of any other reason he would have been six tenths slower in an "equal" car....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2007 02:39AM by Jagdpanzer.
Re: FIA probes McLaren for Alonso sabotage
Date: October 11, 2007 02:07AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The Spanish newspaper La Nueva Espana claims that Alonso's tyres were extremely over-inflated due to being heated too much prior to the 'Q3' section of qualifying in Shanghai.

Hilarious.

Had Alonso done a Hamilton and n00bed up the pit stops and then crashed in the pit lane they'd be claiming sabotage there too. The Spanish press make the British press seem almost acceptable.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2007 02:11AM
Posted by: sasjag
didnt renault accidently double fuel Alonso in sepang qually last year? notice there were no claims of sabotage then!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 11, 2007 02:13AM
Actually, upon closer reading, how do you over-heat a tyre? The operating temperature is much higher than what the tyre blankets can achieve?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2007 02:42AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, upon closer reading, how do you
> over-heat a tyre? The operating temperature is
> much higher than what the tyre blankets can
> achieve?

Actually I was wondering the same thing Dave. You would think that a tire blanket can only raise tire temperature a finite amount. Once it reaches it's upper limit I wouldn't think the temp would go much higher no matter how long you leave it.

I agree the Spanish press is probably every bit as sensational as the British press...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 11, 2007 03:52AM
Posted by: Joeku
thats absolute crap
even if they did sabotage his car
ferrari have done the same thing for years
happend with mansell
and apparently in the schumi era and no one questions it

________________________________________________________________________________

Date: October 11, 2007 04:54AM
Posted by: Slash
i remember JPM having that issue as well one time in williams.. about not having the right tyre pressure, and Ralf too...
Date: October 11, 2007 09:23AM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Actually, upon closer reading, how do you
> over-heat a tyre? The operating temperature is
> much higher than what the tyre blankets can
> achieve?

Wouldnt operating temperature differ with pressure though? the two are proportional.
If the tyre is at a higher pressure, already the temperature would be higher than expected would it not ?? so when they warm them up, they warm them up too much thinking they are at a lower pressure.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 11, 2007 10:03AM
Posted by: Mr_Fossy
This is retarded, the off track stuff has gone to far.
Date: October 11, 2007 10:07AM
chet Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Actually, upon closer reading, how do you
> > over-heat a tyre? The operating temperature is
> > much higher than what the tyre blankets can
> > achieve?
>
>
> Wouldnt operating temperature differ with pressure
> though? the two are proportional.
> If the tyre is at a higher pressure, already the
> temperature would be higher than expected would it
> not ?? so when they warm them up, they warm them
> up too much thinking they are at a lower pressure.

I see what you're saying, but reading the article they claim that they were too high a pressure because they overheated them too much. I seriously doubt that the tyre blankets are capable of that.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2007 10:23AM
Posted by: TC
If McLaren wanted to ruin Alonso's race they wouldn't do it in qually by making him (possibly) lose a place or two which he could easily gain at the first corner, simple as that really isnt it?
Date: October 11, 2007 10:48AM
Posted by: mikef1
Not really, the FIA are watching Mclaren like a hawk to see if they are doing anything to hinder Fernando. If they tried anything obvious they would get in real trouble.
Date: October 11, 2007 11:08AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
@#$%& witchhunt. But its from a Spanish media source which obviously means it isn't to be trusted.

Date: October 11, 2007 11:19AM
Posted by: TC
mikef1 Wrote:
> Not really, the FIA are watching Mclaren like a
> hawk to see if they are doing anything to hinder
> Fernando. If they tried anything obvious they
> would get in real trouble.

McLaren could easily drop Alonso and would have by now if they didn't want him to win, hes contracted to them not the FIA. But I meant more along the lines of using the wrong tyre pressure in the race rather than qualifying.

The spanish media is a joke when it comes to Alonso anyway, same as the british with Hamilton.
Date: October 11, 2007 11:44AM
Posted by: mikef1
The sponsors wouldn't like that TC, remember that Fernando has brought some hefty backing with him this year. I'm sure if Ron could he would have done Fernando the same way he did JPM.
Date: October 11, 2007 11:55AM
Posted by: brnco
the whole thing about Alonso/Mclaren was wrong right from the start. He went there because he thought Renault will withdraw from F1 by the end of 2007. The whole thing was ill fated from the beginning. And you could see last year at the Interlagos that he was quite happy with them(renault) so I imagine that in the winter 06/07 he felt like he is going to foster home. Something he decided a year earlier and simply couldn't do nothing about it. And that is where all the trouble started IMO.

are you blind? -no, I'm deaf, can't you see? -no, I'm blind.
Date: October 11, 2007 11:42PM
Posted by: Slash
FIA appoints special scrutineer to keep eye on Alonso's car

[f1.gpupdate.net]

who thinks this is extra pressure for Hamilton?, knowing Fernando's car is going to be so closely monitored that it could be as perfect as his car???
Date: October 11, 2007 11:47PM
Posted by: tripleM
It depends who that special scrutineer is. Of all the people in the FIA Peter Wright is probably the only one who is both competent and objective enough for all parties to be satisfied.

If not, it will be round n+1 of the bickering with the acronym FIA thrown in.

Date: October 12, 2007 12:41AM
Posted by: Covfan
If Alonso gets beaten by Hamilton, he'll complain about Mclaren being biased against him, FIA official or no FIA official.
Date: October 12, 2007 12:54AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
What a Wank a special scrutineer more like a Witch Hunt What happens if there is a mistake in Alonso's Pitstop? Will they award him the Championship via Default? Fine McLaren another 100mil because a Mechanic stuffed up?

I hope that Alonso nicks off from McLaren Next year so we can stop hearing all this Garbage and they can just Race.

The Thunder from Downunder

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy