Ferrari determined to maximise Raikkonen's chances

Posted by Frantic 
Ferrari determined to maximise Raikkonen's chances
Date: October 09, 2007 10:06PM
Posted by: Frantic
Ferrari will be going all out for a one-two finish in the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, in a bid to land Kimi Raikkonen his first Formula One drivers’ title. The team have already wrapped up the 2007 constructors’ crown after McLaren were stripped of their points earlier in the season.

Raikkonen’s victory in Sunday’s Chinese Grand Prix left him trailing championship leader Lewis Hamilton by seven points, and Fernando Alonso by three. It means the Finn will almost certainly have to win at Interlagos, with team mate Felipe Massa second, if he is to stop a McLaren rival taking the title.

"If we look at the next race, we don't have any other choice than to be aggressive,” said Ferrari sporting director Stefano Domenicali. “We need to achieve first and second and then that's it. That, for sure, will be our strategy."

With no testing between China and Brazil, there is limited scope for teams to improve their cars. However, all three title contenders will have new engines for the last round - which will have to last just one race as opposed to the normal two - and this is one area where Ferrari could take more risks than their competition.

"Well, this was already planned," said Ferrari's director of track operations, Luca Baldisseri, "and in the last test, we tried something in the engine and normally they have to do two races, whereas in this case we only have the engine for one race, so you can imagine that we are having the extra bit of power that is always a risk.”

On the downside for Ferrari, Bridgestone will be bringing their soft and super-soft tyres to Brazil - compounds which the Italian team have not always been able to get the best from this season. Baldisseri believes it could make repeating Ferrari’s 2006 Interlagos win something of a challenge.

“Last year we tuned the tyres, we had Bridgestones, so we basically decided the tyres to have,” he said. “This year it's different, because we have to stay on what Bridgestone bring and they have decided to bring the soft and super-soft. This, to be honest, is not our preferable choice because historically this year, we were struggling where we had that couple of compounds. And you know the tyres are quite important in a car's performance, and if you are not able to use them at the best of their performance, you can easily lose tenths."

The main issue has been extracting optimum performance from the super-soft over a single qualifying lap. However, after recent testing, Baldisseri said the team now has a handle on things. “We've done some work at home after Budapest, I think we understood the problem," he added.

Even if Ferrari do achieve their desired one-two in Brazil, Raikkonen would need Hamilton to finish no higher than sixth if he is to become champion.

Re: Ferrari determined to maximise Raikkonen's chances
Date: October 09, 2007 10:37PM
Posted by: danm
what are the odds if the last few laps of the race.... if kimi is leading, then massa, then alonso followed by hamilton...what odds are there for alonso swiping hamilton out senna/prost style to deny him the championship and hand it to kimi.

would offer him his get out clause for mclaren and his own revenge on lewis.

i really feel kimi could win it this year, odds against him, but i think something extraordinary will happen and twist this whole season around!

maybe a mechanical failure... over-revving his engine.

i just think kimi will do it FINALLY! and in the most unexpected way ever! nobody see's him and then all of a sudden he is the champ fromt he mclaren media frenzy.

oh it would be brilliant!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 09, 2007 11:02PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah i already suggested elsewhere that if Alonso can't win it himself, he'd prefer Kimi to win it just to spite Lewis. i hope it doesn't come down to wheel-bashing, but it would be nice for both McLarens to be out of the points and Kimi to win with Massa 2nd.

don't think it will happen though :(

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 11:03PM by Muks_C.
Date: October 09, 2007 11:06PM
Posted by: Frantic
I think it´s possible that Alonso pull out Hamilton if Alonso goes to Ferrari. Remember that Luca Di Montezemolo wants him in his team...

Date: October 09, 2007 11:08PM
Posted by: Muks_C
if Alonso did something like that he'd probably be banned from racing for at least a few races, if not the whole season, i doubt he'd risk it (unless he wants a year off anyway).

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 11:08PM by Muks_C.
Date: October 10, 2007 12:36AM
Posted by: marcl
Alot of people seem to think alonso will take out lewis and let kimi win, that his attitude will be that if can not win it neither will lewis.

If he did that i think alonso would get banned.

Mclaren could just rest him next year anyway who knows.

But the way alonso is at the moment i would not put it passed him, but I think he is better than that.
Date: October 10, 2007 01:12AM
Posted by: chet
tbh if alonso and lewis to come together on track it will be a racing incident... neither one is gonna give.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 10, 2007 02:40AM
Posted by: Slash
mmmmm, hamilton should, he knows Alonso won't back off, well simply because if he does he looses to Hamilton, but Hamilton knows he needs to back off, couse Alonso would rather see Kimi win it, So Alonso wouldn't mind crashing against Hamilton if He (hamilton) puts a too agressive maneuver...
Date: October 10, 2007 04:43AM
Posted by: assadof1
here is what i think, a very underrate race, winning by massa lewis will finish
second and alonso cann't keep up with lewis he will suffer something but he
definitely will slow comparing to the other mclaren (for no reason!!!) ferrari
will be so aggressive which will cost kimi the race as his engine will blow up.

it's not about fixing the championship anymore it's destiny what will make lewis
a world champion if it was fair and square or with a help from mr.ex

but at the end i still have a small hope inside me telling me that kimi could make it.... it will be a dream... a extraordinary come back

speed freak
Date: October 10, 2007 06:31AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Would be nice to have Nakajima take Lewis out and damage Alonso's rear suspension. Then Massa wins with Kimi second, maybe a BMW 3rd , Nico 4th, BMW 5th, Alonso 6th.
nah ppl say alonso and hami will crash since 5th race of this season and nothing happen ... they know they cant simply f**k their championship doing these things...
Date: October 10, 2007 09:55AM
Posted by: razgriz
remember alonso said he is satisfy to retire if he got the 3rd WDC for him,thats crazy having a f1 career is very hard like getting 95 on all subjects on school;)
Date: October 10, 2007 10:21AM
Posted by: IWE
Yep.. But some people are happy when they have reached what they wanted and specially: have (more than) enought $$$.. :P

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy