Wurz not racing in Brazil

Posted by HaGGiS 
Wurz not racing in Brazil
Date: October 08, 2007 07:47PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Wurz calls time on F1 career
Monday, 08, October, 2007, 17:14
Click to enlarge

Williams driver Alex Wurz has confirmed his immediate retirement from racing in Formula 1.

The 33-year-old Austrian will not compete for the team in the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix and ends his career with 69 race starts and three podium finishes.

Wurz, who made his F1 debut as a stand-in for Gerhard Berger at Benetton in 1997, admits he had first thought about calling it a day earlier in the year.

“I would today like to announce my retirement from active racing in Formula 1,” he said in a team statement.

“I would like to thank my family and fans, everyone at AT&T Williams and my previous teams, as well as the media, for all of their support during my Formula 1 racing career.

“In such a hard fought environment as Formula 1, I have always maintained that if you have a moment’s doubt about what you are doing, then it is time to stop.

“Privately I began to have these thoughts earlier this year and so have decided that now is the time to make my announcement.”

Wurz returned to competitive racing this season after six years as a test driver for McLaren (2001-2005) and then Williams (2006).

He has struggled to match team-mate Nico Rosberg for most of the campaign, but has scored Williams' best two results of the year with a third place in Montreal and a fourth at the European GP.

“Racing this season has been a real pleasure, especially securing the podium in Canada which was pretty sweet along with a number of other strong races, but now it is time to call it a day," he said.

“I’d like to thank the team for accepting my decision and I wish them all the best for the last race of the year.”

He added that he would not rule out racing in another category at some stage in the future and that talks were already underway about taking up a different role within F1.

“I look forward to my future and perhaps the opportunity to pass on my knowledge and skills in Formula 1 and I have some discussions underway,” he said.

“I may also race again, perhaps in Le Mans or other categories and certainly some of my time will now be committed to the very important subject of road safety.”

Williams boss Frank Williams praised the Austrian’s contribution since he moved to the team in 2006.

“Alex has made an invaluable contribution to the team for the past two years, first as one of the best test and development drivers the team has ever worked with, and more recently as a race driver,” he said.

“This season Alex has had some very strong drives in difficult circumstances and we would like to thank him for all he has contributed.

“Alex is well known, immensely popular and widely regarded as one of Formula One’s gentlemen.

“I am sure I speak for everyone in the paddock when I wish Alex and his family the very best for the future.”

Williams confirmed that it would announce Wurz’s replacement for the Interlagos finale on Tuesday.

From [www.itv-f1.com]
--------------------------------------------

I guess its likely to be Nakajima replacing him then!

"No it's not a skirt"
Re: Wurz not racing in Brazil
Date: October 08, 2007 07:50PM
Posted by: FRESCO
I'd rather see Nelson Piquet Jr, but I guess Nakajima is the more likely candidate.

Date: October 08, 2007 07:57PM
Posted by: chet
Shame...

:(

But will be interesting to know his replacement... we will know tomorrow though :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 08, 2007 08:08PM
Posted by: bestobritish
ah well crack on...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 08, 2007 08:50PM
Posted by: Muks_C
shame he doesn't even want to do the last race of the season. it's weird how he tested for years and probably hoped he'd get a good race seat, then he gets it and loses his motivation.

Maurice Hamilton of 5Live said: "He made a super arrival in 1997 but he suffered a pretty major setback when he had an accident in the tunnel in Monte Carlo and I don't think he ever fully recovered."

i don't think that crash did anything to him or made him lose his talent or put fear into his head.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 08, 2007 09:03PM
Posted by: brnco
Very strange. He'll finish the carrer with one race to go. Very strange indeed.
Suspicious brnco would say: "there is something beyond..."

But I think he's fed up with F1. He became father for the 3rd time, and BTW he drove the whole season virtually "one wing only"

So he just didn't want to bother travelling to brasil. (To avoid beeing pickpocketed maybie?)
Date: October 08, 2007 09:28PM
Posted by: Brianf666
I suspect he's been talking it over with SFW for some time and the last race is a chance to show Toyota what Naka can do in a race. But I doubt he will be the full-time replacement. Luizzi looks a good bet for that job but what do I know? I do know that any talk of Alonso is daft. Frying pan/fire job.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: October 08, 2007 09:48PM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't think that crash did anything to him or
> made him lose his talent or put fear into his
> head.

Well he never really ran that far up again, but perhaps he was out-performing the car at the time.

I think his racing career was pretty much over the moment he signed for McLaren.
Date: October 08, 2007 09:49PM
Posted by: sasjag
didnt his wife have their first kid this season? part of me thinks its something to do with that

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 08, 2007 10:03PM
Posted by: vesuvius
I think Piquet jr could race because the last race is in brazil ...and maybe he will drive williams next year also.
Date: October 08, 2007 10:21PM
Posted by: Frantic
What a shame... He was very good driver, better than others than they won any race. Remember 1998, he was better than Fisichella in Benetton...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 08:24PM by Frantic.
Date: October 08, 2007 10:25PM
sasjag Wrote:
> didnt his wife have their first kid this season?
> part of me thinks its something to do with that

no, she had their 3rd son just the other night, wednesday or thursday or something.

Date: October 08, 2007 10:31PM
Posted by: Fincent
It's a big shame methinks...I always thought of him as a very good driver who could have achieved quite a lot had McLaren not consigned him to a testing role for all those years. In all fairness though, it added a vast technical knowledge to him which he could put back into any team that wants it (he did mention a possible role in F1 in the future...technical advisor or something would suit him). I wish him good luck in his future and for his family too.

As for his replacement? Nakajimi most likely because of the Toyota links and also due to the fact he's a test driver. Piquet would be interesting too but I think his loyalty lies with Renault. At the moment I can't really think of anyone else that could take up the seat so that makes it all the more interesting to hear what Sir Frank has to say tomorrow :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:40PM
Posted by: sasjag
Muks_C Wrote:
> sasjag Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > didnt his wife have their first kid this
> season?
> > part of me thinks its something to do with that
>
>
> no, she had their 3rd son just the other night,
> wednesday or thursday or something.

ah, i knew they'd just had a kid!

what about Kartikayen, is he still on Williams books? however, Nakajima would be a good try, maybe end up at Toyota alongside Trulli next season, with Liuzzi going to Williams

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 08, 2007 10:42PM
Karthikeyan? he's still a test driver for them too. plus he raced at Interlagos in 2005 so it might be better for him to do this 1 race, then prepare Nakajima (or whoever) over the winter ready for next season.

edit: Sim hadn't posted when i hit the post button, so it may seem a bit weird how i repeated what he wrote :) my post was a response to Fincent's last post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2007 10:44PM by Muks_C.
Date: October 08, 2007 10:48PM
Posted by: jbnd05
What a shame, Wurz was a great driver. It's a shame he didnt go further, he was a popular guy in F1.
I wish him all the best with his kids and everything.
I reckon Nakajima will be in the car for Brazil.

Date: October 09, 2007 01:09AM
Posted by: gin
he was another so-so, nothing to talk about really, although its strange that he leaves with one more race to go.

Date: October 09, 2007 04:58AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
gav Wrote:

> Well he never really ran that far up again, but
> perhaps he was out-performing the car at the
> time.
>
> I think his racing career was pretty much over the
> moment he signed for McLaren.

I think his racing career was pretty much over the moment he was sacked by Flavio Briatore. McLaren threw him a life-line, although I think Sauber offered him a drive for 2001, but he offered it to everyone and they all turned him down except for one Kimi Raikkonen.

I said at the start of the year that Wurz was pretty average and its no surprise he's out of the seat now. Forced retirement - he knew there was nothing available for next year. I expect we'll hear an announcement from Fisichella shortly as well.

Date: October 09, 2007 06:07AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
sasjag Wrote:
> what about Kartikayen, is he still on Williams
> books? however, Nakajima would be a good try,
> maybe end up at Toyota alongside Trulli next
> season, with Liuzzi going to Williams

Actually, Toyota signed with Timo Glock this weekend, so I doubt Nakajima will be going to them next year. He might drive for Williams though. Toyota should be announcing the contract after the Brazillian GP.
Date: October 09, 2007 06:23AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Always liked Wurz' helmet....about all I can say really....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy