Posted by bob1977 
Re: Greatest drivers not to make it to F1
Date: July 11, 2007 11:30AM
Posted by: Khalid
valentino rossi
Date: July 11, 2007 11:49AM
Posted by: count.bazley
Definately agree with de Ferran, Franchitti and Moore. Another ex-CART driver for me would have been Helio Castroneves, he was simply mega on the road-courses back in 2000/01.
Date: July 11, 2007 03:02PM
Posted by: chet
technically de Ferran has made it :)

and imo has been one of BAR/Hondas best guys. I quite like him and feel he has given alot to the team, but more importanty helped the connection of the drivers to the team. And I imagine his arrival was a good boost for the drivers, espec Rubens :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 11, 2007 03:18PM
Posted by: marcl
We have hardly heard from him this year lol apart from the ITV supid competition.

Find it hard to see how he has helped the team oh yeah sorry the 1 point they have is great world champs by the end of the year lol :)
Date: July 11, 2007 03:24PM
Posted by: mikef1
He is a nice guy and that but what exactly does he do in the team?
Date: July 11, 2007 04:58PM
He's a racing driver, so he knows what the two drivers in the team need at a race meeting, he knows how to make them confortable, and most importantly he will have an good communication link from the drivers to the engineers.

He is their sporting director, so helps organise the weekends preceedings and things.

Date: July 11, 2007 05:03PM
Well he's can't be too busy then, sounds like a cushy job to me!
Date: July 11, 2007 05:14PM
Posted by: tripleM
Looks more like a PA for the drivers then a sporting director from chet's description.

Edit: looks more like a sort of job to help get familiar with the team in line for the future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 05:21PM by tripleM.
Date: July 11, 2007 06:28PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think more that way that all "poor" F1 drivers
> should go to cart to beat those guys.. Seems to
> work well till now. ;)

Todays CCWS is nothing like the old cart and indycar. so please become informed before you comment.

Paul tracy had the opportunity to goto F1, but turned it down to stay in cart. its hard to say if he would do well or not.

Date: July 12, 2007 07:00AM
Posted by: IWE
Im sorry but I know old cart and this current poor pirate copy of F1.. But we did see also before drivers like Michael Andretti, Zanardi, da Matta and so on to jump into F1 and without much to tell to grand childrens.. And we did see opposites like Mansell.

Anyway cart was also before like some bloody amateur serie (even it was "king of open wheel racing" in USA) where level of drivers wasnt even on level of F3000 or F3 ones..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 12, 2007 12:50PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Actually da Matta did fairly well considering he was driving for Toyota. Funny how you never mentioned Villeneuve or Montoya, both pretty succesful in F1 I thought. I would love to see one of F1's top guys go race in Champ Cars (come on Schumi!).
Date: July 12, 2007 01:16PM
Da matta towards the end of his season was doing very well.

Date: July 12, 2007 06:52PM
Posted by: Gord_on_wheels
Do i remember correctly Paul Tracy testing a Benetton at the end of 1994?
Date: July 13, 2007 03:34PM
Posted by: bob1977
Yes Correct and Al Unser Jr tested a Williams in 1991 I think.
Date: July 13, 2007 03:45PM
Posted by: marcl
And dario tested a jag as well.
Date: July 13, 2007 04:53PM
I don't think Dario was that impressive in testing hence no deals. However Bourdais seems to be posting some reasonably good times when he has tested so maybe he'll be on the grid next season.
Date: July 13, 2007 07:59PM
Posted by: Slash
well, to be fair, Dario was driving a Jaguar when the no TC era, it was harder imo, whereas with an F1 car nowadays is very easy to do competitive lap times, the hard part it'll be those few tenths he needs to gain, from what i heard his first day was useless, i doubt he'll get a drive, but let's see
Date: July 13, 2007 08:22PM
Bourdais also said this about the current crop of F1 cars:

"Q. You said that the last test happened because you wanted to be fully ready for this test. How ready do you feel?

SB: I think it was good - especially with the way I got up to speed quickly thanks to that session. Without that I would not have been in an F1 car for eight months, so it meant there was only a couple of weeks to refresh my mind. But I have to say the car was easy to drive. It has got a lot of assistance, which helps a lot, and it is pretty forgiving."
Date: July 13, 2007 11:15PM
Posted by: brnco
Jorg Mueller
Seb Bourdais
Martin Bellamy
Franck Lagorce
Vincenzo Sospiri

Those should have been in F1 IMHO
Date: July 13, 2007 11:20PM
Posted by: Gord_on_wheels
Franck Lagorce got 2 races in at the end of 1994, (again, correct me if i'm wrong), but that was it for him. There were so many driver changes at the end of 1994 amongst the midfield and back end teams.

And i feel sorry for Sospiri, his only attempt was trying to qualify that Lola in Australia in 1997.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy