Posted by chet 
Re: British Grand Prix **SPOILERS**
Date: July 11, 2007 04:28AM
Posted by: Slash
and team owners as well.... Ron cried at Silverstone
Date: July 11, 2007 07:15AM
Posted by: marcl
Yes I agree with u lewis was to hard on kimi when he blocked him in the race but have to be honest I really dont think he saw him if he had then it was a stupid move.

I was saying at the time lewis sould have let him go and just think about the championship.

vesuvius was not talking about u I remember u saying u were off to the army.
Date: July 11, 2007 07:46AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
one way to stop ppl turning the engine down is to award a point for fastest lap.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 11, 2007 09:37AM
Posted by: mschumi

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: July 11, 2007 01:19PM
Posted by: Muks_C
great pic!

as for weaving, i think they should remove the rule of only 1 move across the track. they are supposed to be highly-skilled professional racing drivers, there should be no rule that says how many times they can move across the track. we might as well paint white lines on the track to split it up into lanes like a motorway, and then make each car have indicators on them so the drivers can signal to each other which way they are going to go. it's ludicrous this rule is actually here, if you think about it.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 11, 2007 01:50PM
Posted by: marcl
It was to stop drivers weaving to defend.

The worst rule is on champ cars where they can not block at all.
Date: July 11, 2007 03:04PM
Posted by: chet
Anyone read Motorsport magazine??

Read the JV article, its a goodun :) he mentions removing the mirrors from f1cars, he has logic to it too.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 11, 2007 03:22PM
Posted by: mikef1
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> great pic!
>
> as for weaving, i think they should remove the
> rule of only 1 move across the track. they are
> supposed to be highly-skilled professional racing
> drivers, there should be no rule that says how
> many times they can move across the track. we
> might as well paint white lines on the track to
> split it up into lanes like a motorway, and then
> make each car have indicators on them so the
> drivers can signal to each other which way they
> are going to go. it's ludicrous this rule is
> actually here, if you think about it.

No, it's there to stop drivers weaving about dangerously if someone is close behind. I've seen enough bad accidents as a result of one driver following closlely behind another and not knowing which way the driver in front is going to move next, plus the high speeds in F1 make it more dangerous than the lower formulae. Plus overtaking is hard enough as it is, if the car following is faster than it should be able to get past without risking an accident doing so.
Date: July 11, 2007 06:07PM
i see your point, we don't want another Gilles Villeneuve-style accident which could happen if one car rams another at high speed, but hasn't this rule sanitised racing a bit? what Lewis did at Silverstone was maybe just on the border of the current rule, but shouldn't what he did be perfectly legal? he went one way to stop someone passing him, then went the other way to take the best line through the corner? instead half of us are condemning him (me included) when really shouldn't it just be looked at as good defending?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 07:28PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 11, 2007 06:33PM
Sorry for this, i clicked twice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 06:34PM by Slash.
Date: July 11, 2007 06:33PM
i totally agree with hard racing, i mean how boring will it be just to let the fastest car pass??, i don't know what lewis incident you guys are talking about, if it is the one on the final sector, then yes, that was totally good defending, he simply beat kimi in th braking area, there was no reason for him to back off and let kimi by because lewis had the racing line, kimi backed off and lock tyres but he had to, he took the gamble and it didn't paid off, but if you guys are talking about the start, and the first corner of the second sector, the yes, that was a bit on the limit, i saw him move more than once, wich is over the rules
Date: July 11, 2007 07:16PM
Muks_C Wrote:
> i see your point, we don't want another Gilles
> Villeneuve-style accident which could happen if
> one car rams another at high speed, but hasn't
> this rule sanitised racing a bit? what Lewis did
> at Silverstone was maybe just ont he border of the
> current rule, but shouldn't what he did be
> perfectly legal? he went one way to stop someone
> passing him, then went the other way to take the
> best line through the corner? instead half of us
> are condemning him (me included) when really it
> should just be looked at as good defending?

There have been several similar incidents to Villeneuve's accident since then but thankfully due to safer and stronger cars no fatalities or terrible injuries (other than to Pironi) have happened.
Lewis is a hard racer and that's good in my book but i have more of an issue with the way he has started a few GPs this season, his weaving when Fernando was very close to him was the scariest for me but the chop at Silverstone was expected and not bad imo, as long as he doesn't take anyone out i doubt there will be any words by the FIA against him yet.
Date: July 11, 2007 07:32PM
@ Slash, i am talking about the start of the race, when he went to the right to block Kimi, then went left again to go around the first corner.

@ Mike, but technically speaking, wasn't what Lewis did at the start to Kimi illegal with the "move once to defend" rule? the rule doesn't say you can move across the track to block, and then move back to your original line to take the next corner, it says you can move once to block but then must stay on that line to take the corner.

the racing line through Copse is the left-hand side of the track, so Lewis was fully in the wrong for moving to the right to block Kimi, then move back to the left to take the corner.

Date: July 11, 2007 07:44PM
Muks_C Wrote:

> @ Mike, but technically speaking, wasn't what
> Lewis did at the start to Kimi illegal with the
> "move once to defend" rule? the rule doesn't say
> you can move across the track to block, and then
> move back to your original line to take the next
> corner, it says you can move once to block but
> then must stay on that line to take the corner.
>
> the racing line through Copse is the left-hand
> side of the track, so Lewis was fully in the wrong
> for moving to the right to block Kimi, then move
> back to the left to take the corner.

Yes i agree but in reality if Lewis stayed to the right into Copse he probably would have gone straight on or had to brake much earlier for the corner so he instinctively took the racing line once he made the block. Tbh it's up to the other drivers to do the same if they want, if nobody complains, then they all can do it. It's just a shame that the press gave Michael such a hard time about the chop but with Lewis it's become hard but fair. The weaving is what i really have a problem with.
Date: July 11, 2007 07:44PM
Posted by: keiran
Muks_C Wrote:
> great pic!
>
> as for weaving, i think they should remove the
> rule of only 1 move across the track. they are
> supposed to be highly-skilled professional racing
> drivers, there should be no rule that says how
> many times they can move across the track. we
> might as well paint white lines on the track to
> split it up into lanes like a motorway, and then
> make each car have indicators on them so the
> drivers can signal to each other which way they
> are going to go. it's ludicrous this rule is
> actually here, if you think about it.

You're allowed one move to defend, another to return to the racing line. Hamilton has gotten off with weaving down the straight at Sepang and I'm pretty sure he did it at Silverstone (by weaving I mean 4+ significant moves left/right). The rule is their primairly for safety but also the fact you'd see even less overtaking. The driver in front would just weave to break the slipstream and make the following driver hesitate.

What he did at the start was fine. It was hard and wont win him many friends but had he caused contact then of course he'd have been in the wrong.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 07:45PM by keiran.
Date: July 11, 2007 07:48PM
Posted by: FRESCO
@ Fresco, it's double standards mate. MS chopped people of the startline, and everyone called him a cheat and dirty driver for it. what Lewis did on sunday was exactly the same.

Indeed it is, but I'm probably one of the few people who thought MS's starts were perfectly acceptable (apart from Nurburgring '01). I remember Coulthard constantly bitching about them, and then a few races later he did exactly the same to MS when he was on pole.

Hamilton's aggression will eventually be mirrored by his rivals when he is trying to overtake them, anyway. I can't see Raikkonen, Massa or Alonso letting him breeze passed, theyll pull the same tricks on him simply to give him a dose of his own medicine.

Date: July 11, 2007 07:49PM
well ok, if the rule is you can move once to block, then move back to the racing line, then fair enough. but even Gav thinks the rule is that you can move once to defend, then stay there, not move back, so i'm not sure who is right.

Date: July 11, 2007 08:28PM
Posted by: tripleM
The current lack of action following Hamilton's move in the start is entirely consistent with the previous stance on the matter by the FIA.

Date: July 11, 2007 11:32PM
Posted by: keiran
Muks_C Wrote:
> well ok, if the rule is you can move once to
> block, then move back to the racing line, then
> fair enough. but even Gav thinks the rule is that
> you can move once to defend, then stay there, not
> move back, so i'm not sure who is right.

The rule in all/most motorsport is one move to defend, then one move back to the racing line. It'll be in the sporting regulations somewhere. So the move off the start was fine to the degree he never took Kimi's wing off.

Where I feel he is breaking the rule is weaving down the straights to stop the following car from slipstreaming him, more evident at Sepang but he did do it down hanger straight as well.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: July 12, 2007 12:07AM
Posted by: chet
the start is a story but when down hanger straight and he was weaving, well iam sure i have seen that at indy, and at silverstone before too.

if he was blocking in that instance, iam sure someone would have said, other than us forum people.

i must say i cant recall him weaving down the straight, and if he did, it was not noticable enough for me to stop at think, 'hang on, is that allowed'

for one kimi or no-one else has complaind have they?

sepang was something else though, why he didnt get a drive through idk.

anyway who cares. he was dreadful, his worst race so far.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy