British Grand Prix **SPOILERS**

Posted by chet 
Re: British Grand Prix **SPOILERS**
Date: July 09, 2007 07:43PM
Posted by: marcl
was a good gp.

lewis got a lucky 3rd has massa not stalled he would have been 4th.

But as brundle said out the top 4 lewis was the only driver not to test at silverstone when the rest did. It was clear lewis was not on the pace.

kimi is back now better than ever and best drive ever for massa the way he cut through the field.

this title is going to be close thats for sure.
Date: July 09, 2007 07:58PM
Posted by: mikef1
We needed the Ferrari resurgence to inject a bit of life into the Championship, if Ferrari can keep up their pace they can and should get ahead of Lewis and Mclaren by the season's end.
Date: July 09, 2007 08:18PM
Posted by: keiran
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Also ferrari might be in trouble anyway as a
> > number of teams have complained about the front
> > wheels now, it was agreed about the rear ones
> > being used but as the front wheels steer it
> counts
> > as a moveable aid. We will see what happens
> with
> > this.
>
>
> i disagree that's in a moveable aero device. it is
> fixed to a part of the car (wheel rim) and doesn't
> move from that position.
>
> sure it rotates as the wheel rotates, but it's
> position relative to the car it's attached to
> doesn't change at all, in the way an adjustable
> wing would move relative to the car it was
> attached to. do you see the difference?

In one of the pitstops a mechanic had one of them stuck to his gun with the wheel nut, so could be seen as in breach of parc ferme rules.

Who's to say Ferrari don't have different ones with holes to aid steering in quick corners. In R/C racing we use dish and spooked wheels, spooked wheels give you better turn in where as dished give you better aero (more speed). Or to help keep the temperature down/up in the brakes as that's what Ferrari claim they are for.

Is that not the third GP running that Alonso has been quicker than Hamilton now? To me it seems that when things aren't going well for Hamilton he struggles to perform, probably something he will learn to deal with when he has more experience. Just look at Silverstone for example. Alonso had 4 more laps of fuel and was more than easily matching Hamilton for pace during the race.

I'm interested to see how he copes if McLaren have now not got the dominant car, when it's down to the driver to try make the difference. Which we know from the past two seasons Alonso has been very good at getting the best out of an okay car.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: July 09, 2007 10:32PM
Posted by: Muks_C
keiran Wrote:

> In one of the pitstops a mechanic had one of them
> stuck to his gun with the wheel nut, so could be
> seen as in breach of parc ferme rules.

are you sure they had a wheel disc stuck to the wheelgun? the Ferrari wheelguns all had clear plastic discs on them, probably to help support the wheel as it came on and off the car, but i didn't see an actual wheel disc stuck to a gun, only the clear plastic things.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 11:29PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 09, 2007 11:20PM
Posted by: airefresco
keiran Wrote:

> In one of the pitstops a mechanic had one of them
> stuck to his gun with the wheel nut, so could be
> seen as in breach of parc ferme rules.

yeah I saw this too. I can't remember which stop but It was from the right front wheel. There was a quick shot of a black disc on the floor in front of the wheel. It looked like it had a bit missing to me because it wasn't circular. Later there was a quick shot of two ferrari mechanics holding a black disk the same shape as the one that was on the floor.
Date: July 09, 2007 11:28PM
It was on kimi 1st stop.

It looked like a clear bit of plastic probably to help with the heat as them wheel rims will be boiling.

If it was the wheel rim that would make the trims illegal as they would not be fitted to the wheel.
Date: July 09, 2007 11:31PM
yeah i saw the bit with the two mechanics talking about the almost-circular black thing. we'll need to do some digging to find out if it fell off or was a spare broken one, or something else completely.

Date: July 10, 2007 12:46AM
Posted by: flat tyre
This was the first grand prix I've ever been to, and I have to say that it was a brilliant weekend :) It was weird though, because it felt more like an experience than a sporting event. I've still got to find out what the results were beside the top three though ;)

I took some photos and videos, some of them I'm pretty chuffed with! I put a compilation on youtube. What do you think?

[]

EDIT: I've done a video of the other events there now:

[]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 01:46PM by flat tyre.
Date: July 10, 2007 12:46AM
Posted by: airefresco
Found it.
At around 54 seconds you can clearly see the cover fall of the wheel, although the video isn't brilliant.

[]

Someone check it quick though before Bernie sees it and takes the video off.

Edit: to change the youtube link and also this lucky screenshot. You can see the clear plastic thing on the gun and the black wheel cover falling off. For the video you can see they put a new one on, meaning it was delibaerate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 12:55AM by airefresco.
Date: July 10, 2007 01:05AM
ah, that confirms it, the discs aren't attached to the rim, they're only held on by the wheelnut, so when the mechanic unscrewed the nut, the black disc fell off, but he used another wheelgun which had the clear plastic thing holding another black disc to be attached.

i'm guessing that when the wheelnut is tight, the black disc is fixed to the rim, so it rotates at the same speed as the rim, and isn't free to spin by itself. but they're not fixed to the rims like the rear wheel ones appear to be (can anyone confirm if the rear ones are permanently fixed or removeable like the front ones? i would guess permanently attached.)

Date: July 10, 2007 02:23AM
Posted by: Karan
Muks_C Wrote:
> i'm guessing that when the wheelnut is tight, the
> black disc is fixed to the rim, so it rotates at
> the same speed as the rim, and isn't free to spin
> by itself.

the discs on the front wheels dont appear to rotate at all though from what i've seen on tv.

Date: July 10, 2007 09:13AM
I bet this gets looked at as it was said as they are fixed to the rim its ok.

Its also a bit dangerous as if the wheel nut does come off you could end up with this disk flying along the pit lane or track

That means at the pit stop ferrari are able to change an aero device.
Date: July 10, 2007 11:13AM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
> i'm guessing that when the wheelnut is tight, the
> black disc is fixed to the rim, so it rotates at
> the same speed as the rim, and isn't free to spin
> by itself. but they're not fixed to the rims like
> the rear wheel ones appear to be (can anyone
> confirm if the rear ones are permanently fixed or
> removeable like the front ones? i would guess
> permanently attached.)

Yeah, the rear wheel one is attached the wheel rim itself (or the wheel at any rate). There's a hole for the gun to go through when they're changing the wheel.

I've no idea if the front ones rotate or not - they don't appear to on camera, but that could easily be an optical illusion. You'd need to see a car being wheeled back into the garage, and I've not seen/noticed one yet.

Frankly I don't care. If it's illegal, then meh. Unless they're causing problems to other cars (for instance if one falls off, or they attach large spikes) then good on them. They're far from the ugliest part of the car, and it's up to the other teams to come up with their own solution, if they feel it gives Ferrari an advantage. It's not like everyone's been copying the rear wheel one.
Date: July 10, 2007 11:43AM
I think ferrari use them the get more heat in the tyres, we know they had 1 lap problems getting heat in the fronts.

Toyota use the rear ones and they are another team that had probs heating the rears.

Other teams might not need them and thats why they dont use them, they have probably all tested them.
Date: July 10, 2007 12:03PM
Posted by: mschumi
No, the front wheel caps don't move!!! That's why thers a cut in the low end for the air to escape there under the car, so the hot air goes under, and makes some improvements to the difuser and downforce

If the fron wheel cap wouldve turned, that slice trought the cap itself wouldve been usless!!!! so thats not moveable like the rear wheel cap, wich has a hole different role

Front ones are used to imporve air flowing and downforce and not moving while rear ones are moving and are used for brake cooling!

edit: more proof that the front wheel cap is not moving, look at the movie posted by airefresco, and you see the mecanic, after fitting the new wheel, that he gives the cap a push for the hole in the cap to be in the rear back of the rim, if it moved, than why did he do that hehe :)...but you can see clear at tv that is not moving

You can see more clear here. Whyle in front the you can read the BBS and see the hole position, in the back you can't read the BBS logo :)

tehnical info here
[www.formula1.com]

Scuderia Ferrari Forever

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 12:28PM by mschumi.
Date: July 10, 2007 02:02PM
Posted by: chet
looked like a poor race from lewis, a good distance back from alonso..

shame

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 10, 2007 04:47PM
Posted by: Ali
I still think Hamilton & Alonso or McLaren should work harder preparing the race, not the qualifying... it seems this time it was Alonso who complained before the Quali and he was allowed to carry more fuel...
Date: July 10, 2007 07:08PM
thanks for that article MSchumi, it explains it nicely.

so that explains why when the mechanics were discussing something about them, it looked like one was broken, but it must have just been the slit.

and yes, bad race for Hamilton in terms of how far he finished behind Alonso, over 30 seconds. it looks like he (and his engineer) went for qualifying glory, but didn't have the race pace to back it up.

so in hindsight, it was pointless for all the media and Anthony Hamilton and the whole of the England to go mental over his pole position, it meant nothing in the end. like i've said before, any of the tail-end teams could put in 3 laps of fuel and get pole, doesn't mean they're gonna win the race though. the sooner they take the fuel out for Q3, the better. it will bring some meaning back to getting pole.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 08:29PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 10, 2007 07:57PM
Posted by: vesuvius
once again quite mad to Hamilton....he changed his driving line 2 times again at the start and almost Kimi crashed with him.
Date: July 10, 2007 08:30PM
yes but Vesa, you don't understand. Lewis is English so it's ok for him to weave at the start. he's not a German cheater driving a red car, so no-one has any reason to complain about it. do you see? that's how things work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy