Would F1 be satisfying without Schey?

Posted by DrDougal 
Would F1 be satisfying without Schey?
Date: March 10, 2004 03:01PM
Posted by: DrDougal
March 2015, and 17 times Formula 1 World champion, Michael Schumacher hangs up his racing googles and helmet due to the FIA making him retire from extreme oldness.
But would the 2016 (next) Formula 1 World Champion (probably Montoya Jnr) be satisfied knowing he has won the championship without the mighty Michael Schumacher in the field?

The point I am trying to make is would an F1 championship be satisfying knowing you haven't beaten the best?

Has Schumacher changed the meaning of becoming Formula 1 World Champion?
Re: Would F1 be satisfying without Schey?
Date: March 10, 2004 03:20PM
Posted by: andrew_S
not really, no one in all honesty ever beat stewart, and it didnt have that effect, so i dont see why it should be any different

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: March 10, 2004 04:16PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
It won't change the meaning of being a world champion but you can be certain that the year after Schumacher retires, the Championship will be seen by many to be devalued for his loss. He's the best out there, the hardest to beat so thats only natural. Saying that if he retires and hasn't been competitive, aka Hill '99 then nobody will say much.
Date: March 10, 2004 04:52PM
Posted by: matthewp
It won't change the meaning of being a world champion but you can be certain that the year after Schumacher retires, the Championship will be seen by many to be devalued for his loss

precisely, i'm confident he'll be beaten before he retires though (he has been before anyway, just not for a while :) )

Date: March 11, 2004 12:16AM
Posted by: DS2k3
i honestly dont think he will be beaten. at the pace he is going he is ahead of the rest. and i do think when he is left the impact of beeing world champion would be less, because nobody beat him. and i think alot will loose interest in f1. not me though i love it :)

Ferrari forever
Date: March 11, 2004 12:43AM
Posted by: andrew_S
why would it mean less? plenty of people, as good as schumacher have gone before, fangio, clark, stewart, lauda, prost and senna but to name 6

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: March 11, 2004 01:18AM
Posted by: MViper
Naah.. Schumi should stay in F1 .. it's great watching his driving skills and it's even greater to watch him being beaten by the others ;)

"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Date: March 11, 2004 01:54AM
Posted by: Pooky
i agree i hope michael stays in F1 for a long time still to come

because he is supreme in everything he does - the way he approachs his racing, and so many other drivers should learn from him.

i.e michael staying at the track until 11PM one night talking to his engineers,

would you see anyother driver do that??? not really

he has amazing committment to F1 - and after 6 world championships you would think he is getting tired of F1 and not as motivated

but he is still as motivated as day 1 with jordan

Date: March 11, 2004 05:57AM
precisely, i'm confident he'll be beaten before he retires though

He might be but I doubt it would really matter to him though. As long as he's competitive and in the fight for the championship then he'll be happy. If he is in the fight for championship in his last year and doesn't win but then retires, the next years championship will still be devalued even tho he didn't win the previous one.
Date: March 11, 2004 06:11AM
He was taking the piss in Melourne, slowing down that much at the end...
Date: March 11, 2004 06:23AM
They only slowed right down once Massa's engine went bang. Considering Ferrari and Sauber are both using the same spec engine this year its not surprising they told him to back off.
Date: March 11, 2004 10:11AM
Posted by: LS.
The thing with schumacher in my opinion is that he's boring to watch in the best car, but if he is fighting against a better car then its entertaining to watch as a neutral

been a long time since he's been in a poor car though

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 11, 2004 10:16AM
Posted by: Zcott
If you were to take a poll of the drivers to see who would rather win a championship with Schumacher as their rival or without, I'd say most of them would rather beat Michael. Sure, winning a championship is a massive feat, but beating the best makes it even sweeter for the drivers and the team. Senna's death coincided with Michael becoming the best, and there wasn't really a dull patch without a "really top driver" with the exception of 1996.

I think that Damon Hill would rather have won his title by taking Michael to the final race and beating him, much like Mika did. Having the best in a poor car is one way of beating your rival, but a more enjoyable way is to have a fight like Mika and Michael did.

Date: March 11, 2004 10:36AM
Posted by: Muks_C
everyone would say the driver only won because MS wasn't there if he retired while being champion. If he did win in his final season (whenever that may be), he would be called the unbeaten x times world champion.

if he was soundly beaten, then retired at the end of that season, I don't think people would say that about the new champion, because he had won while MS was still racing. I personally don't think MS would retire if he didn't win, only if he was uncompetitive and couldn't keep up. If he was beaten, say in the final race, then he would probably continue, to try to win it the season after. it was embarassing watching Damon Hill in '99, when he sometimes looked like he couldn't be bothered. I hope MS doesn't ever do that.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 11, 2004 12:08PM
Posted by: jawwad01
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 08:28AM by jawwad01.
Date: March 11, 2004 12:48PM
Posted by: Muks_C
he even sleeps in Enzo's old office at Fiorano (which has been converted into a bedroom/gym for him), so he can work late at night, and he's already there in the morning. You don't see JPM or Ralf doing that.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 11, 2004 01:10PM
Posted by: Vader
Who the f*ck is Schey? :-o

Post Edited (03-11-04 22:14)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 11, 2004 01:10PM
Who killed Laura Palmer? :-o

Post Edited (03-11-04 22:23)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 12, 2004 12:57PM
Who's Laura Palmer?
Date: March 12, 2004 01:16PM
Ask FBI special agent Dale Cooper.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy