French Grand Prix **SPOILERS**

Posted by Joeku 
Re: French Grand Prix **SPOILERS**
Date: July 02, 2007 08:24PM
Posted by: gav
Sapo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OMG @ Spyker, they are getting worse and worse.
> They really start to remind me off the very bad
> minardi and prost years (like in 2000/2001 etc).
> Very slow, and worse, reversed progression, they
> losing grip on the rest more and more, and the
> drivers seem to make no progress at all.

It didn't take you long to forget Indy, did it?
Date: July 02, 2007 09:30PM
Posted by: Ali
Sapo Wrote:
> Spyker...and the
> drivers seem to make no progress at all.

How can we evaluate if a driver is progressing or not if the car is going backwards. It is unfair to say that they are no longer progressing. I personally think that Sutil is a fine driver and I don't know if a "top driver" would do it much better in a Spyker...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2007 11:16PM by Ali.
Date: July 03, 2007 12:03AM
Posted by: Hologide
Hmmm Spyker's going down the crapper...

I know a couple of guys who work there who are trying to get out, and fast... get off the ship before it sinks, so to speak...

Although I do feel that Sutil is doing a very good job...
Date: July 03, 2007 12:33AM
Posted by: keiran
Senna Wrote:
> CH4OS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And Senna comparing overtaking in F1 to GP2 is
> a
> > joke, right?
>
> I wasnt comparing the overtaking in F1 to GP2. I
> was comparing how Villa and Alonso acted behind
> another car. Villa was doing always the right
> choices in his overtaking attempts, taking the
> right line while Alonso were always @#$%& them up
> at the hairpin. A two times world champion should
> already know how to do it, and Lewis, (ofc I am
> not a Lewis fan) who still is yet to win a world
> champion in his career, already knew how to do it.
>
>
> I think that Alonso should take a time to rethink
> the way he take his decisions in the races,
> because he messed them up at Canada, Indy and now
> France. He's too impatient to choose the right
> decision when hes under pressure. It's not
> something that I'd expect from a world champion.

Lewis made one overtaking move, and Kubica left the door open to allow that. Something Nick wasn't doing.

Nick and Fisi were a lot more switched on making sure Alonso had to commit to the left side. If Alonso had backed off he'd have dropped too far back to have a sniff of taking the inside, so where else could he have gone? Even if he had stayed on Nick's wing, Nick would have just held a tight line.

Alonso had no option but to go to the outside and hope he could force Nick/Fisi/Rosberg into a mistake so he could cut back inside of them.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: July 03, 2007 01:43AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I thought Alonso did a great drive, but I do think he was a bit too enthusiastic at some points. Sure he had to go through the outside, but was it necessary to break so late every time?
Date: July 03, 2007 08:53AM
keiran Wrote:
> Lewis made one overtaking move, and Kubica left
> the door open to allow that. Something Nick
> wasn't doing.

I have to say, rather than Alonso's moves being a bit poor, that Hamilton's move on Kubica was awesome. I've not watched it since, but as I remember, he switched to the inside right at the last moment before they started braking... had he got the timing slightly wrong, or misjudged where Kubica was to brake (he hadn't followed him up until that point remember), then he could very, very easily have done a Marco Campos.
Date: July 03, 2007 08:58AM
Posted by: marcl
Spyker need to replace albers and get a driver that will get the car home and develop it. He makes far to many mistakes for someone in their 3rd year.
Date: July 03, 2007 10:51AM
Posted by: mikef1
gav Wrote:
> keiran Wrote:
> -----
> > Lewis made one overtaking move, and Kubica left
> > the door open to allow that. Something Nick
> > wasn't doing.
>
> I have to say, rather than Alonso's moves being a
> bit poor, that Hamilton's move on Kubica was
> awesome. I've not watched it since, but as I
> remember, he switched to the inside right at the
> last moment before they started braking... had he
> got the timing slightly wrong, or misjudged where
> Kubica was to brake (he hadn't followed him up
> until that point remember), then he could very,
> very easily have done a Marco Campos.

Yes however Kubica went from being on the inside to the outside just before braking giving Lewis the opportunity to slip down the inside whereas Nick and Fisi didn't Alonso the same opportunity. However i would say that Lewis was very brave to go for the inside into the hairpin on cold tyres
Date: July 03, 2007 11:13AM
Posted by: chet
A Few Conclusions From The French GP
Monday 2nd July 2007
Fantasy F1 - Win a trip to Monaco!

It's not too late, point scoring starts at the Bahrain GP. Click here.

Jenson Button's improvement only highlighted his major flaw, while Ferrari's resurgence may be short-lived...

Jenson Button Can Only Drive A Good Car.
Rubens Barrichello could be forgiven for feeling a little sorry for himself this morning.

Compared to Jenson Button, the Brazilian has made the best of the wretchedly bad job Honda have done since the foolish sacking Geoff Willis. In each of the opening seven grand prixs, Barrichello held a clear advantage over his team-mate. The car was rubbish, but Rubens' application certainly wasn't.

And then what happens? The car is finally patched-up and, lo and behold, it is Jenson who enjoys the spoils - setting the sixth-fastest lap time at Magny-Cours and earning the team's first point of the season.

Button supporters will relish his revival, arguing that the capacity to raise performance when it matters is the hallmark of a special talent. It is a valid argument, but it overlooks the glaring weakness in Button's armoury: the inability to drive around a bad car.

Rather than 'lifting his performance when it matters', Button was unable to compete in the RA107 before its overhaul. Remember how he was thrashed by Giancarlo Fisichella in 2001? That remains the only year in his F1 career when the Englishman was beaten decisively by a team-mate, and not coincidentally, the only season in F1 when he has driven a consistently under-performing car.

Button is a fine driver of a decent motor car. Yet, as a consequence of his his smooth and sleek driving style, he seems unable to confront, let alone defy, difficult cars - a flaw that separates him from F1's elite.

Kubica May Have Survived To Become A Better Driver.
Studying the psychology of drivers who have 'suffered' a major shunt must be a fascinating thing.

Patrick Head is well qualified to lecture on the subject and caused ripples in the paddock a few years ago by briefing that Ralf Schumacher was 'never the same driver again' after his first major crash at Indianapolis. Conversely, Robert Kubica appears to have disregarded his brush with mortality in Canada to remain completely unaffected. Having only been cleared to resume driving on Friday, the Pole produced his best-ever qualifying result a day later.

Perhaps the crash at Montreal will be the making of Kubica. Whereas others (including, apparently, Ralf) may have blanched at the perilous reminder of their vulnerability, surviving an accident measured at 75 times the force of gravity may have fostered a feeling of indestructibility in the BMW driver. 'If I can emerge from that crash unscathed', he may have calculated, 'I can survive anything'.

Ferrari Have Improved. But...
By how much?

The team definitely took a step forward in last week's pivotal test at Silverstone, but their fourth-tenths advantage over McLaren in France was nonetheless deceptive. At no stage during the race did either of the two Maccas enjoy the benefit of running in cool air, while Ron Dennis revealed to ITV that both engines had been turned down to 'safe mode'. Furthermore, the decifit to Ferrari was increased by the team's conservative three-stop strategy.

Those two factors explain the team's confidence ahead of this week's British GP. "We flattered them this week," declared Dennis. However, Ferrari's own scope for improvement should not be so lightly discounted - they won comfortably in France despite setting up their cars in anticipation of the expected rainfall.

Somebody Other Than Michael Is Being Missed At Ferrari.
To quote from P-F1's Winners and Losers page:

'It was his bad luck that when he came out after his pit-stop there were four cars ahead of him all having their own fight. A lot of drivers use traffic as an excuse to cover up their shortcomings, but such was the close nature of the Ferrari fight that two slow laps dropped him behind Raikkonen.'

Bad luck? Or the type of bad planning that never occurred when Ross Brawn was sitting on the Ferrari pitwall?

Frontrunning Is Key, Part One
Although Kimi Raikkonen's victory doubled the number of times this season that the pole sitter has not gone on to win, the Finn's unlikely success emphasised the importance of frontrunning.

Hamilton's race was lost when, for only the second time this season, he was overtaken off the line. "Even if you are seconds quicker than the car in front, you still can't pass," he reflected in the post-race press conference.

With Raikkonen 'overtaking' his team-mate in the pits, France also marked the first time this season that the driver who led into the first corner of a race has failed to win.

Frontrunning Is Key, Part Two
It is becoming increasingly clear that the 2007 cars are particularly rough in dirty air and that the Ferrari struggles more than most.

Backmarkers cost Massa victory, yet rather than block or rebuff the Brazilian, they repelled him by inadvertently reducing his Ferrari's effectiveness. "Even when you are not very close to the car in front, you lose so much downforce and cannot follow the car," he acknowledged. "You lose speed. That is the biggest problem we had today and I lost the victory because of that."

As Silverstone is generally a tough circuit on which to overtake, Saturday's qualifying session - and the first thirty seconds of Sunday's race - are bound to prove decisive.

Pete Gill.

Fair comments about JB, but RB has not held a 'clear' advantage :s its always been thousands or so. But agreed, like 2001 showed, he cant cope with a bad car, but when he gets a good one he is immense.

Then again, unless you start in Minardi or something, how often will you get a B201 ?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 03, 2007 02:29PM
Posted by: dada
Some good stats from the French GP

[passionemotori.wordpress.com]

Date: July 03, 2007 04:55PM
Posted by: Sapo
gav schreef:
> Sapo Wrote:
> -----
> > OMG @ Spyker, they are getting worse and worse.
> > They really start to remind me off the very bad
> > minardi and prost years (like in 2000/2001
> etc).
> > Very slow, and worse, reversed progression,
> they
> > losing grip on the rest more and more, and the
> > drivers seem to make no progress at all.
>
> It didn't take you long to forget Indy, did it?

Erm yes, it might indeed, i cannot recall anything from Spyker in that race...

However, i might be a bit frustrated when posting this comment, Sutil indeed is doing quite fine, but i still think (even as a chauvinistic Dutchman) Albers really hasn't made any progress, because if he did, he should at least beat his teammates half of the occasions, and not make as much mistakes as he does this season (and i still think his biggest mistake was hitting the wall in Canada, which caused his frontwing break, and not even the pitstop error, which was caused by sheer frustration due to a team and communication error.)

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: July 03, 2007 05:25PM
The french GP is a strange track where in the past some bad cars have gone well due to the smooth service even a bad ferrari in 1991 went well and liger did.

we shall see at silverstone who is where again. Also the nature or the track is a bit like melbourne according to some people and we can see that the cars that went well there also went well in the french gp.
Date: July 03, 2007 07:00PM
Posted by: mikef1
Ligier only went well there because they had their factory next to the circuit and they tested there all the time. Cars which didn't handle bumps well went better in Magny but with the new final chicane the drivers get a bumpy ride.
Date: July 03, 2007 07:31PM
I think McLaren will do a lot better at Silverstone. Remember last year? Kimi was fighting for 2nd place and then in France he was nowhere. Though, Ferrari did have a huge advantage there with Bridgestone...
Date: July 04, 2007 12:36PM
Just went you look back in time mclaren even in 1998 lost to ferrari infact ferrari got a 1-2 them come silverstone mclaren were back in front.
Date: July 04, 2007 01:27PM
Yeah, I think Ferrari's comeback ain't that critical to McLaren...maybe they'll have a harder time than Monaco and Indy, but I think we are going to have a McLaren victory again...just hope Kimi comes ahead of Massa :)
Date: July 04, 2007 04:57PM
If anything a ferrari come back will help lewis.
Date: July 04, 2007 05:28PM
Posted by: chet
Help Lewis? Probably more so Alonso.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 04, 2007 08:28PM
I think Ferrari look really strong at the moment. Now they've cracked those problems, they seem on some kind of mission. Help Lewis? Help Alonso? It's not going to make any difference if Ferrari have the faster car.
Date: July 04, 2007 11:27PM
Posted by: Hologide
Lil quote from that link from Dada...

"-according to lap charts, on the last 11 races there have been at least 7 on-track overtaking manouvers for the lead (but there were many more…), while in Formula 1 the last overtake for the lead has been recorded in Japan 2006, when F.Massa let through team-mate M.Schumacher. The race before, in China, Fisichella left first place to team-mate Alonso. Leaving aside these “in house” overtakes, the last pass for the lead was recorded on lap four in Melbourne 2006, when Alonso (Renault) overtook Button (Honda) after a safety car restart. If we consider the safety car restart an anomaly, to find the last, genuine, pass for the lead, we must go back to Japan 2005, when on the last lap K.Raikkonen (McLaren) passed G.Fisichella (Renault) to win the race."

WOW...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy