Anyone remember when Ralf was good?

Posted by chet 
Re: Anyone remember when Ralf was good?
Date: May 27, 2007 12:31PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Ralf was great between 1998 and 2000. I think when Montoya started to perform better than him in 2001 (which to be fair is true, no matter what the stats say) he started to decline. Having said that, not a season has gone by without Ralf delivering a performance that most drivers would be proud of (Suzuka '04, Hungary '05, Australia '06 etc.). Really looks like he can't be arsed this year though.
Date: May 27, 2007 12:33PM
Posted by: chet
Towards of 2000 I feel he dropped abit too, JB was getting on top of him abit too easy.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 27, 2007 05:07PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Haha Chet, I'd not say Fisichella put Massa to shame, as raw and erratic as Massa still was :P

Ralf just lost it, he should stop and move to a different series. I fear for Rubens getting on the same path in 3 years, if he doesn't stop soon too.
Date: May 27, 2007 05:34PM
Posted by: Muks_C
"Anyone remember when Ralf was good?"

no.

all i remember of him is winning from pole position in Williams cars that were far and away the best car on the grid. he's never fought through the field to win a race, or won a race in not the best car. and he's usually dropped down to finish lower than he started. i think he should be booted out sooner rather than later. but of course the Toyota bigwigs didn't know much about F1, so they thought "get a Schumacher on board, we'll win the title in the next couple of years."

it ain't gonna happen guys, cut your losses and get a better driver who doesn't demand half the season's budget as a salary, you might improve a bit. or else the whole Toyota F1 project could go down as the biggest-spending-least-successful team ever.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 27, 2007 05:44PM
Posted by: tripleM
Umm, with all due respect, it's Toyota that's holding their drivers back, not the other way round.

Date: May 27, 2007 05:47PM
Posted by: nvooght
Well Truli 15th Ralf 16th so thats clearly the car today...
Date: May 27, 2007 06:25PM
@ TripleM, if they had a driver on half or less of Ralf's salary, they'd have more to spend on the car (of course money isn't everything, it's how wisely you spend it, but it helps if you're not giving most of it away to 1 guy for lacklustre performances time and time again). if they had someone who was a bit of a leader in the team, someone like his brother was at Ferrari or the way Alonso was at Renault, maybe they'd have a clearer direction to travel.

both their drivers appear to be simply "cruise-and-collect" drivers, no real fire in them to race hard and stretch the limits of what the car is capable of.

the culture is all wrong at Toyota. they keep going on about "One Aim" and all their company mottos and stuff like that, but there are too many bosses but none of them are pulling the team in any particular direction. they think simply throwing more money at the problem will help. seems like their "One Aim" is to waste as much money in as short a time as possible.

Date: May 27, 2007 09:34PM
Posted by: jbnd05
I sort of feel sorry for Ralf for having such a successful brother to be compared to, but Toyota needs a new driver lineup and a proper team manager. I think that they should hire someone young like Sutil as an understudy to an older driver.
Date: May 27, 2007 09:43PM
Why the hell did they replace Alan Mcnish and Salo...

Alan for a rookie F1 driver had a great season, and Salo was proven quick and was quick...

Date: May 27, 2007 10:00PM
jbnd05 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sort of feel sorry for Ralf for having such a
> successful brother to be compared to
, but Toyota
> needs a new driver lineup and a proper team
> manager. I think that they should hire someone
> young like Sutil as an understudy to an older
> driver.

but even without having to live in Michael's shadow for 10 seasons, he was still only average at best. and it's precisely because of his surname that he and his manager, Willi Weber, have been able to con Toyota out of so much money for these past few seasons. they thought having a Schumacher in the team would automatically give them success, which is a really silly attitude to take.

on his performances in his last season or two at Williams and since moving to Toyota, he definitely doesn't deserve to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid drivers on today's grid.

he'd like us all to believe he's had it tough being Michael's brother, but it's because of that connection that he's earning $20-odd million a season for not doing very much. he should be licking Michael's boots for where he is today, not shunning him as if he's a curse on him.

Date: May 27, 2007 10:11PM
Ralf has had some stunning laps in the past.. ie

&mode=related&search=

and one of my all time favourites, i had a really high quality lap of this, from tv cameras, and it was perfect.

I still beleive if Ralf has a car which is suited to him he will peform as well as if not better than most drivers on the grid.

Date: May 27, 2007 10:30PM
of course you can find exceptions here and there to disprove my points, but a couple of good laps around Monaco and some wins in the best car are not exactly a glowing career.

"I still beleive if Ralf has a car which is suited to him he will peform as well as if not better than most drivers on the grid."

that can be said of every driver on the grid.

the difference is when a driver can take a car beyond where it should be, or drive around a problem, or fight through the field to finish higher than he started. Ralf, to my knowledge, hasn't done any of these.

Date: May 28, 2007 12:53AM
Posted by: RonnyF1
I think you are putting him down a little muks. He wasnt out of this world, but the guy was decent on a few occassions, worth to remember IMO.
Date: May 28, 2007 02:14AM
Posted by: Slash
Muks_C Wrote:
> of course you can find exceptions here and there
> to disprove my points, but a couple of good laps
> around Monaco and some wins in the best car are
> not exactly a glowing career.
>
> "I still beleive if Ralf has a car which is suited
> to him he will peform as well as if not better
> than most drivers on the grid."
>
> that can be said of every driver on the grid.
>
> the difference is when a driver can take a car
> beyond where it should be, or drive around a
> problem, or fight through the field to finish
> higher than he started. Ralf, to my knowledge,
> hasn't done any of these.

then you missed nurburgring 1999
Date: May 28, 2007 02:23AM
I mentioned that race earlier, that 1999 season he did well.. but that race, wow, amazingly unlucky

Date: May 28, 2007 09:21AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I think it like what I heard on the SPEED telecast, if the car isn't perfect then Ralf doesn't try hard enough they said the same About Fisichella adn I believe that. Also most of the blame should be put on Toyota with the way they run their team, Honda is doing the same when they got the final 45% from BAT and sacked Willis and went to a Toyota like way of running the team and see whats happening to them now, at least Honda has realized they were wrong and are trying to fix it with trying to get Ross Brawn and others, after 6 years in Formula One Toyota still hasn't realized they are in the wrong.
Date: May 28, 2007 09:47AM
Posted by: Nickv
One race doesn't make Ralfs carreer better. Fact is that he is an average driver, only capable of winning when everything is perfect.
Date: May 28, 2007 10:34AM
Posted by: Karan
Nickv Wrote:
> One race doesn't make Ralfs carreer better. Fact
> is that he is an average driver, only capable of
> winning when everything is perfect.

There was an article in F1 Racing a few years back focussing on the same point regarding Trulli too ;) The guy can be brilliant on the day when everything right from the setup of his car, the inclination of the sun, the wind direction and the orientation of the hairs on his backside are in order. And considering the Toyota this year is no Mclaren/Ferrari it doesnt bode well for the team.

Date: May 28, 2007 11:38AM
Posted by: count.bazley
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
> I think it like what I heard on the SPEED
> telecast, if the car isn't perfect then Ralf
> doesn't try hard enough they said the same About
> Fisichella adn I believe that.

Whereas I agree fully that Ralf only performs to his best in those circumstances, Fisichella on the other hand has no problem with dragging a crap car beyond it's limits, his problem is that he likes to know that he is the fastest guy in the team.
Date: May 28, 2007 11:57AM
Posted by: jbnd05
Good point about Fisi actually, he did a great job in Monaco whereas Ralf was last for much of the race.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy