Anyone remember when Ralf was good?

Posted by chet 
Anyone remember when Ralf was good?
Date: May 27, 2007 12:45AM
Posted by: chet
From 2002 he really has dropped in performance... I remember his races with Jordan and early days with Williams were amazing...

A shame he has been doing so bad, I used to like him quite alot. I dont see him having another year in F1 either :(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Anyone remember when Ralf was good?
Date: May 27, 2007 12:53AM
Posted by: Red Sam
The only season he was genuinely good was 1999 - other than that, he can win races when he has a massively clear car performance. The rest of the time he contributes nothing. The fact Toyota pays him so much is a clear sign of what is wrong with that team!

Time to bin the Ralf - maybe he can swap with his brother? I hear he isn't too shabby.....

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: May 27, 2007 01:02AM
Posted by: FRESCO
Ralf hasn't ever been quite the same since his shunt in Monza testing in 2003.

Some of his performances in the '99 Williams was stunning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2007 01:03AM by FRESCO.
Date: May 27, 2007 01:22AM
Thing ive noticed with TF is when one driver is doing well, the other doesnt :s

A race ralf should have won is Nurburgring 1999 :(

He had great performances in 2000, but towards the end I feel he faltered abit.. 2001 he had some good races, then 2002 JPM was the quicker

Date: May 27, 2007 02:11AM
Posted by: gin
he was a second rate driver from the start (ie.a driver who can win a few grand prix here and there but certainly is no champion material, see: D Coulthard, Fisi etc)now he slipped to third rate driver. Toyota should boot him to Super Aguri and give someone else a chance...

Date: May 27, 2007 02:19AM
Posted by: Hologide
I think some of those big crashes he had a few years ago had some effect on him - as Fresco said

I just hope Toyota see sense and do the right thing - Ralf is simply embarassing now... beated by a Spyker!
Date: May 27, 2007 02:31AM
Posted by: Slash
Even tough he's one of my favs driver, he is doing worst than any other driver at any team, he's like Rubens was doing last year with Honda at the beggining, the difference is that this is not a new team for him, it's even anoying to see him, it's like a waste of time knowing he's not going nowhere, i don't know what "seat" he and his manager are talking about, probably a test one, cuz his age and that speed he's showing, i doubt even super auguri sign him, did anyone saw him today at qualy?, he wasn't even pushing, he was like driving around, like he was about to wave at people like he was at some parade or something... very sad!, and to think that at this age, his brother was at the peak of his form!
Date: May 27, 2007 03:31AM
Posted by: danm
its quite interesting, this next year or two we will see a large generation leave f1.

Fisi is due to go, DC, Trulli, Ralf, Rubens... thats quote a bunch of people!

And to fill those seats we have the likes of Piquet Jnr etc

It is a bit of a shame, but F1 is heading to a new mass of talent, I think the last time we saw such an influx of newer drivers was in the late 90s, 1996/1999 when Trulli and Fisi began careers.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 27, 2007 04:22AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Ralf was nothing special to begin with. For the last few years he has been simply skating by on his family name. Jarno is the heart and soul of Toyota, even the big bosses in the company respect him. But you never hear them mention a single thing about Ralf.

Maybe they can put in a call to JV....he's bound to do better than Ralf...;)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: May 27, 2007 04:50AM
Posted by: pacerboy
Ryan Briscoe would have been a much better proposition then Ralf.
Date: May 27, 2007 08:11AM
Posted by: marcl
I think Ralf will be out of f1 by the French gp tbh there are alot of other good drivers out there that would not waste a chance like Ralf is.
Date: May 27, 2007 08:55AM
Posted by: Guimengo

NEVER ;)

hehe, joking aside, Ralf would be quick sometimes but he'd need too many things to go right for him to "click" and put in great performances. I think he's driven about 14 good races...

edit: I was there at Indy 2004 when he broke his neck and I have no doubt that the accident contributed for his decrease in performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2007 08:56AM by Guimengo.
Date: May 27, 2007 09:49AM
Posted by: Brianf666
I remember a few races where he got going. But having the wrong attitude to his bro (letting him pass any time) ruined his cred with me. When everything went perfect, he was adequate. To compare with Trulli is hard because Eddie Jordan told the truth about Jarno being another driver who would only try if the car was perfect (to Jarno). But he's matured okay at Toyota. I think Ralf sees bigger troubles for the team when they are regularly out-performed by the other Toyota powered team.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: May 27, 2007 11:25AM
Posted by: mikef1
I think since Ralf was knocked out and hurt his back at Indy, he has not been the same driver since. Also Toyota seem not to be able to get their cars suited to both drivers.
Either way Ralf is not performing according to his pay check, not good so far.
Date: May 27, 2007 11:37AM
Posted by: nvooght
I think this years toyota isnt suited to ralf he doesnt seem to be able to drive it... though might interest you that ralf has scored more points than truli in 2005 and 2006 though i miss him driving for williams 2001 i remember imola...
Date: May 27, 2007 12:11PM
Posted by: marcl
Trulli had most most of the bad luck at toyota if a car broke down it was his.

This year trulli is just faster.
Date: May 27, 2007 12:17PM
Posted by: SAMF1
in 2003 and maybe 2005

Date: May 27, 2007 12:21PM
Posted by: nvooght
According to wikipedia the both had 4 mechanical failures in 2006 though ralf has 1 down as retired and im not sure what that means because if it was crash it would say accident... so maybe ralf 5...
Date: May 27, 2007 12:22PM
I think Ralf is a could have been great driver... his early career clearly showed promise and alot of it... Same as Giancarlo up until Renault... But this season he has picked up again. But in 2004 Giancarlo really really really put Massa to shame imo.

Date: May 27, 2007 12:31PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Ralf is a could have been great driver...
> his early career clearly showed promise and alot
> of it... Same as Giancarlo up until Renault... But
> this season he has picked up again. But in 2004
> Giancarlo really really really put Massa to shame
> imo.

With Fisichella, I wouldn't say Renault, I'd say Benetton. As it was, Ralf Schumacher caught the break by going to Williams, while Fisi was left in some pretty ordinary cars until 2005. Fisichella was seen as the next great star, then he faded. In fairness to him though, if you were in anything other than the lead Ferrari, then things would be (and were) so much tougher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy