which is faster?

Posted by ayazyounis 
which is faster?
Date: February 28, 2004 01:40PM
Posted by: ayazyounis
out of cart or irl or f1? i think i read somewhere that (a few years ago) a cart and an f1 car ran at montreal and the f1 car was about 5s quicker than the cart car. is this true? dont remember exactly which cars were involved.
Re: which is faster?
Date: February 28, 2004 01:57PM
Posted by: bigears
I remember that faintly. I think it was a 2002 Minardi that was already faster than the leading CART car (one of those Players' cars)

Anyway I know an interesting story. You may know the Detriot GP was hosted for the F1 races from 1982-1988. There was a small kink right before the entry of the pits to slow down the F1 cars on the straight and to the pits.

When the Detriot GP was dropped from F1, but the CART series continued to race there til 1990. Rumour that the race organisers wanted to prove that the CART cars are faster than the F1 cars so they removed the kink.

Sadly the CART cars failed to match Ayrton Senna's 1988 lap record!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: February 28, 2004 02:07PM
well the ferrari is about what 3-4s faster than the minardi on average so an f1 car is about 8-9s faster than a cart car! i know nascar is different but why do they have so big viewing figures, bigger than f1 i believe? surely f1 is global whereas nascar is mainly us.
Date: February 28, 2004 02:15PM
just read this on the following site:

www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tips/automedia_html/pht/PHT20030901IC/index.html?page=/howtos_tips/automedia_html/pht/PHT20030901IC/PHT20030901IC.htm

"But which is faster? With more horsepower and downforce, less weight, and stickier tires, an F1 car is king of the road courses. But that gargantuan downforce creates huge drag that limits F1's top speed, so an unmodified F1 car likely would be the slowest on a superspeedway, with the Champ car slightly faster than the Indy car. But what about a short oval, say, Richmond? That would be a lot more fun to watch than a battle between suit-wearing men in a cigar-smoke-filled room. "
Date: February 28, 2004 05:11PM
Posted by: caiweikang
drag car is the fastest
Date: February 28, 2004 11:28PM
Posted by: chrislewis
drag car is the fastest

Only in acceleration. But then again thats the only thing there designed for.

Date: February 29, 2004 02:25AM
Posted by: Pooky
drag car finals

in end of may at santa pod!

im going!!! its BRILLIANT

watching 7000 horse power machines acelerate to 100mph in LESS than 1 second

Date: February 29, 2004 07:01AM
Posted by: Muks_C
those rudeboys who drive modified nova's/corsa's/saxo's down my street would have you believe their cars are the fastest things on earth.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 29, 2004 07:35AM
lol yea with their 'go faster' stripes;-)

Date: February 29, 2004 07:51AM
Posted by: heathy
like the little car on the bujakowsky.com picture
Date: February 29, 2004 07:53AM
champ cars could go quicker if they had more turbo boost. they were only doing about 700 horspower last year.
Date: February 29, 2004 08:21AM
yeah, but at least Bujakowsky races the cars, these guys just go to the shops and back, but really quickly!

Date: February 29, 2004 10:09AM
Posted by: LS.
Author: Muks_C
Date: 02-29-04 14:01

those rudeboys who drive modified nova's/corsa's/saxo's down my street would have you believe their cars are the fastest things on earth.

I found an ideal solution to these pests

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 29, 2004 01:25PM
one of those should be stationed at every speed camera, then every time one goes past, they can get some target practice, even if they're not speeding.

Date: February 29, 2004 01:53PM
you cheeky little minxs!!!!!!!!!:)

hehe i dont race 'cars' anymore,

i recieved possession of my 140 bhp Formula First car today!!!!

its AWESOME - has wings, was clocked on one of the tracks at 140mph and that is not its top speed.

i will post a foto soon,

but what i do know is that it has SAME power as Formula BMW, and is faster than Formula Fords etc.

it is mental

Date: February 29, 2004 05:59PM
Posted by: fcarmoracing
In 2002, Christiano DaMatta set the pole-position for the Canadina ChampCar GP in Montreal on 1.18´s..... Juan Pablo Montoya´s pole in the same year was around 1.12:8´s!!!!! take your own clonclusion....

and we all know the CART are faster than IRL, but if F1 had a race in ANY oval, they wud still be faster, as each team is responsable for its own chassis evolution, so the improvements wud become a lot more accurate than only Lolas and Reynards for the entire grid!!!!

Now you CAN sponsor me, click picture and know how
Date: February 29, 2004 06:10PM
Posted by: LS.
Depends on what you mean by fastest really

fastest over a certain distance? fastest over a lap of circuit? fastest around an oval?

F1 would be fastest round a grandprix circuit because of the overall package of the car, light weight, engine power and aerodynamics

Cart/IRL would be faster round an oval, say indianapolis because of the straightline speed

in a outright shoot out at an air feild it would be rather hard to say, over a short distance you would have to favour the F1, over a long distance you would have to favour the cart/Irl car but it depends on the distance involved

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 29, 2004 11:59PM
in 1995 at silverstone david coulthard did some tests with his williams car for a magazine. they counted 0-60 in 2.2 seconds in a 600kg car with about 750hp. cart in 2000 were doing the same, 2.2 seconds, with an 800kg car and 900hp, of course these would very with different setups. add launch control, auto shifting, modern f1 cars are doing 2 seconds flat apparently.
champ cars cant really improve on that as they dont develop the chassis, they are power limited (down to 700hp now, i think), and there isnt tyre development going on like f1. since 2001, lap times in f1 have probably increased by a long margin mainly because of tyres. irl cars wouldnt beat f1 or champ cars over any distance.

Post Edited (03-01-04 09:59)
Date: March 01, 2004 08:05AM
Posted by: ralv585
"i know nascar is different but why do they have so big viewing figures, bigger than f1 i believe? surely f1 is global whereas nascar is mainly us."

F1 is second only to the world cup and the olympics in terms of viewing figures, about 330million people watch each race, now with china holding a race, with their 1 billion population it is sure to rise even further, nascar is very popular in the US, but cant compete with F1, in terms of which is faster, F1 is, better accelertion. better braking, more responsive, out right speed, its close, shumi was doing 231mph down the back straight of montreal (tailwind), with a reasonble amount of rear wing, if he dropped it, Monza style, with close to 900bhp pushing him along, 240 could have been possible, what are carts and irl top speed?
Date: March 01, 2004 08:16AM
actually, an f1 car has never gone 231mph. 231mph=372kmh. fatest an f1 car has gone is about 363km/h (226mph), alesi in monza 2001.
schumi did 351kmh (218mph) at montreal. cart has top speeds on superspeedways like michigan of 250mph on straights 250mph=400km/h. i remember montoya in practice michigan 2000 doing 242mph lap average = 390km/h lap average. at indianapolis f1 cars can reach about 355kmh down the straight, while the indycars do 370-380km/h when they are on the oval.

Post Edited (03-01-04 15:23)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy