what rule changes do you want to see?

Posted by gareth 
Date: February 10, 2004 08:05AM
Posted by: gareth
here's a few i reckon might be good- feel free to shoot me down......
1. once the season starts ban testing. make friday a test day at the weekend's GP circuit. two sessions, 9-12 and 2-5. teams may run 3 cars, whatever liveries they choose, whatever drivers they choose. teams like mclaren might run Wurz, de la Rosa (does he still test for them??) with KR or DC. Renault might go for their young driver programme. Minardi and Jordan might 'sell' their third car for a local driver(s) or sponsor(s). fans going friday get to see six hours worth of F1 cars, and if all teams run 3 cars, that's 30 and not 20 cars as well. and also if they're running different liveries on the third cars, it's that little bit more interesting. one engine per weekend starts saturday morning. it should reduce some cost, instead of however many days they test, they now get 18 days during the season. it levels the playing field slightly. also sponsors get the extra exposure of another day in the spotlight, as opposed to countless laps around catalunya and valencia when noe ones watching.
2. either one tyre or go the other way, entice other manufacturers back into F1. i dunno about you, but bridgestone vs michellin is shite boring. either go to a control tyre to remove the variability or vary it all. michellin vs bridgstone vs pirelli vs goodyear vs dunlop vs falken vs firestone sounds a bit more interesting.
3. ban those flip ups that stick up from side pods. i'm a big fan of the sweeping ones in front of the rear wheels, but the ones that stick up from no where just seem to add clutter. it may just be me, but i think the nicest F1 cars are the simpler ones with flowing lines and curves.
4. standardise SOME parts, such as engine control software, rear wings (maybe with hansard devices fitted?) and maybe brakes. ofcourse F1 is the epitomy of technology, but should also be of man. give the driver some more control and input into the outcome of a race. when a really good driver in a minardi can mix it with a slightly less good say sauber man then F1 will be great.
5. get back to slicks.
what do you guys think?

Re: what rule changes do you want to see?
Date: February 10, 2004 08:32AM
Posted by: marcl
I do not agree with this getting rid of the drive through someone could win the race and have it taken away from them i dont see how its gonna work tbh. I think with something like a jump start or speeding in the pits the drive through should be given.

I also think that if someone causes a start line crash and the race is restarted they should not be allowed to start the race or even some thing like sepang last year that ruined alot of peoples races why should the person be allowed to continue?

I wanna see all cars on the same tyres.

Post Edited (02-10-04 15:52)

Date: February 10, 2004 09:11AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

Remove Traction control and Semi auto gears.

Date: February 10, 2004 09:30AM
Stop there being one rule for ferrari and others for other teams.

Ban TC and power steering, bring back wider slick tyres, get rid of the engine cover rule and ban all the flip up parts on the cars i mean the tower parts not the bits infront of the rear wheels if u know what i mean.

Start the race on the same tyres u quali on.

Not allowed to make any changes to the car between quali and the race, this was meant to be in place last year but teams could make changes on the grid.

Post Edited (02-10-04 16:43)

Date: February 10, 2004 10:50AM
Posted by: Pooky
BAN TRACTION CONTROL

everything else i dont mind, but for added pleasure:

BAN POWER STEERING, REV LIMITS, LC

then i would be super-dooper happy hehe:)

Date: February 10, 2004 11:05AM
Posted by: Muks_C
ban LC, TC, auto gears, reduce rear wing size, bring back wider slick tyres, get rid of stupid engine cover rule, get 'pure' qualifying back with 12 laps and low fuel, and each driver must do at least 1 flying lap in both half-hours of the 1 hour quali time, and allow inters and full wets to be taken to each race, and maybe more tyre manufacturers (if any want to enter F1).

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 10, 2004 11:06AM
Posted by: dolinseks
Get back old qualfying system, and sunday`s warmup!
Date: February 10, 2004 11:46AM
Posted by: Big_F1_Fan
@gareth

that first idea of yours is great, u shud write to mr mosley.

not like he'd listen mind.

Also, BAN TRACTION CONTROL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: February 10, 2004 11:53AM
Posted by: Vader
once the season starts ban testing. make friday a test day at the weekend's GP circuit

This is as far as I read.

Post Edited (02-10-04 18:58)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 10, 2004 11:55AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
easy. award 2 extra points for the fastest lap in the race. that wud definately make people push all the way and coast to the end as some leaders tend to do. especially if its close.
Date: February 10, 2004 11:57AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
not before coast...above
Date: February 10, 2004 12:01PM
Posted by: Red Sam
rear wings (maybe with hansard devices fitted?)

I think you mean Handford Device, the ChampCar rear wing.

Hansard is the political written record of everything that takes place in the House of Commons. And it is a real bugger to read! :(

Red Sam - European Politics Student

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: February 10, 2004 01:16PM
Posted by: Pooky
lol red-sam

our next prime minister!;)

Date: February 10, 2004 09:35PM
Posted by: renyf1
1) more access to drivers from fans...ban those gay truck parades before races

2) ban the gizmos and standardize the engine control unit so there is no talk of cheating

3) award 5yr tire contracts...tires are the single fastest way to slow down the cars and also level the playing field for all teams

4) do something to get more teams to try their hand @ F1

5) do something to rid the pay-to-drive drivers

6) engine manufacturers must supply atleast 2 or 3 teams with a price of $10 to $12 million for 1 yr worth of engines & supplies....okay to be a few specs off from their main sponsoring cars but not sell last years engines

7) when doing post race interviews drivers must wear suits they raced in not new suits or just new tops (Kimi looks like a kid when he does them)

8) limit testing to a few times a year, including ferrari

9) do anything to increase mechanical grip vs aerodynamic grip
Date: February 11, 2004 04:43AM
Posted by: X_Acto
Get back old qualfying system, and sunday`s warmup!

...And the old points system (10-6-4-3-2-1)

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: February 11, 2004 04:49AM
That was the main problem with testing ferrari would not agree to it, if memory serves me right even mclaren agreed to reduce testing.

Testing should be limited by miles not days.

We could have had 6 races the amont of testing that has been done this winter

Post Edited (02-11-04 12:41)

Date: February 11, 2004 08:25AM
Posted by: Muks_C
oh yeah, 1 point for fastest lap in the race, and 1 point for pole position.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 11, 2004 09:49AM
The problem with that rule is if the championship goes to the last race and a driver only needs 2 points to claim it he will light fill with fuel so he could get pole and the fastest lap and not care about the result
Date: February 11, 2004 09:58AM
Posted by: X_Acto
Yes, but the fact is that in CART that rule works fine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: February 11, 2004 09:59AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I don't understand why some people (such as ph) don't seem too bothered about LC, but are all up in arms about TC. After all, LC made the starts of races fairly uninteresting, as nothing was really likely to happen that was out of the ordinary. Now in 2004, as well as hearing the drivers having to snatch exactly the right amount of revs at the start, which sounds absolutely awesome and is very loud, I imagine they'll be slithering around a bit more and the guy on pole will be under no illusions as to the possibility of any of the four or five cars behind him beating him into the first corner (=exciting!). TC on the other hand hasn't really spoiled anything, except maybe the noise of the cars on the exit of corners. At least, it certainly isn't as bad as LC.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy