ms is the best

Posted by ayazyounis 
Re: ms is the best
Date: February 07, 2004 02:49PM
Posted by: Rubidius
Vader, do you reckon it would be better if we didn't use apostrophes in English to denote possession? German seems to work fine without them.

Oh, and ... have you read Lynne Truss';(s) book on punctuation, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? I really liked it, but I'd be interested to hear your opinion, if you've read it.

--Rubi

Date: February 07, 2004 02:50PM
Posted by: The Lopper
yes, wonder what the two eddies would have to say about that?

Date: February 07, 2004 03:51PM
Posted by: Zcott
Marks and Spencers trading name is Marks & Spencer. Michael Marks formed a partnership with Tom Spencer a good few years ago, and that's why it's called Marks & Spencer.

Date: February 07, 2004 05:04PM
Posted by: Vader
I think you can leave out apostrophes in titles or if you write in capitals. I am not so sure, still looking for a book on punctuation that has the complete rules for the usage of apostrophes. Unfotunately I haven't read the book, Rubidus. However, I will immediately try to get from amazon or - if out of print - on ebay

In German we don't use them to show possession. We use apostrophes, however, in informal language to show contraction (like English "it's" or "can't";)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 07, 2004 11:21PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Cool.

I hate the amount of apostrophes in English language, I prefer Portuguese a million times over it.
But for other people....Portuguese is hard to learn, but probably not as much as Hungarian :P

Date: February 08, 2004 02:51AM
Posted by: assadof1
just remmeber that ms have 6 title
and he will be looking for seventh

and the same time u still writen in this forum
get the hell out of here

ur bunghole

speed freak
Date: February 08, 2004 03:01AM
Posted by: ralphi
Just like to point out that Salo in Croatian mans body fat...;)

Date: February 08, 2004 03:09AM
Posted by: Spike02
get the hell out of here

roflmao, he has every right to be here. unlike your meaningless insults.

Date: February 08, 2004 03:10AM
Posted by: Covfan
Bit strange having a picture of a baby's face in your profile, Mr Assado, or should I say Mr Glitter? ;)
Date: February 08, 2004 04:36AM
Posted by: Rubidius
Vader,

The book I mentioned is a relatively recent release, and it's been quite commercially successful over here. It doesn't try to be a complete guide to all the rules of punctuation, but it comes close. It's written by a journalist who got fed up of seeing all the rules broken. It's a seriously hilarious read; she's very witty, with a great writing style. Seeing as it's a 2003 release, and I got a copy as a Christmas present, I think it's highly unlikely to be out of print, and I'm sure Amazon can get it to you. I'd heartily recommend it.

--Rubi

Date: February 08, 2004 06:54AM
Posted by: Muks_C
I agree. I always thought Massimmillio ( Mimo for short) Schiaterella was the best.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 08, 2004 09:46AM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
WTF is going on? :S

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: February 08, 2004 10:29AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Oh, and ... have you read Lynne Truss';(s) book on punctuation, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? I really liked it, but I'd be interested to hear your opinion, if you've read it.

I've read it, it's brilliant. I learnt quite a bit about the apostrophe (some of which horrified me, because I was sure I had it sussed!). For example, if you're enumerating letters, you have to write (for example) A's, B's and C's. Previously I would have written As, Bs and Cs, thinking I was perfectly correct in doing so!

However, as far as I know, the jury's still out on the case of, for example, "St. James's Park". I would argue that it should be written like I just wrote it there, but there are plenty of respectable professors of the English language who reckon it's "St. James' Park". It's a bummer.

Btw, cheers for putting me right on the M&S thing, Zcott, I didn't know that!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 08, 2004 12:16PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Two grammar threads in one week *SIGH*
(Check out 2004 grid so far thread)

Date: February 08, 2004 12:51PM
Posted by: Vader
@ The Lopper

[irony]Irish grammar is much easier, isn't it?[/irony]

Read this [grandprix3.com]

Post Edited (02-08-04 19:55)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 09, 2004 06:21AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I've always gone for the 'ole 'St James' Park' rather than 'St James's Park', it looks neater :)

Date: February 09, 2004 06:53AM
Posted by: yhaneef
i just had sex for the first time
Date: February 09, 2004 07:13AM
Posted by: Zcott
CONGRATULATIONS!

Date: February 09, 2004 07:15AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Date: February 09, 2004 10:32AM
Posted by: Ellis
[dr evil]riiiiiiiiiiiight[/dr evil]

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy