James Allen

Posted by Fincent 
James Allen
Date: February 27, 2007 09:01PM
Posted by: Fincent
I've seen many people ranting about James Allen and about how bad a commentator he is. I've personally always thought he was alright...and then i stumbled accross this:

[youtube.com]

Agh! After half a minute i wanted to just deck him! lol, I can now totally sympathise with everyone who doesnt like James Allen.

Sorry if this is a pointless post, but I just wanted to share this turning point in my life with you. lol

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Re: James Allen
Date: February 27, 2007 09:06PM
Posted by: Nickv
Can you please use the Youtube tags? [youtube ]url[/youtube ] (without the spaces obviously)

I get a full screen vid, which is very annoying and hard to see.

EDIT: Found it myself:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It seems James Allen doesn't believe a lot ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2007 09:17PM by Nickv.
Date: February 27, 2007 10:19PM
Posted by: Vader
I don't believe it.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 27, 2007 10:27PM
Posted by: danm
It was mostly brundle for the first 30 seconds!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 27, 2007 11:26PM
Posted by: gav
Jesus (or not as the case may be), what resolution do you run at to want to use Youtube full-screen? The picture quality is bad enough at default res :|

James Allen's always been a prick. Simple as. Hungary 2006 alone should be enough for you to realise that.
Date: February 28, 2007 10:37AM
Posted by: mikef1
Yeah it's like he's kind of been told to pipe down the annoying over enthusiasm recently and was getting bearable but then Button had to go to and win a race and get him started again.
Date: February 28, 2007 11:50AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
I'm sure you'd complain if he was as dreary as a doorknob as well. Some people are never satisfied. I find him tolerable. Its just unfortunate for him that he replaced Walker. Still, that said I reckon there are better people out there...Ben Edwards for one.

Date: February 28, 2007 12:08PM
Posted by: marcl
People go on about ben edwards but tbh i find him worse than allen.

He shouts and thats all u can hear, he was on f1 digital and was so anoying i watched the in studio footage.
Date: February 28, 2007 12:34PM
Posted by: LS.
i've never seen the appeal of ben edwards either

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 28, 2007 12:56PM
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People go on about ben edwards but tbh i find him
> worse than allen.
>
> He shouts and thats all u can hear, he was on f1
> digital and was so anoying i watched the in studio
> footage.

The thing is, he does genuinely have enthusiasm for the sport. I know Allen's been in motorsport for well over a decade now, on the American scene, but he's always come across as having a sort of 'virtual passion' if you like. It seems faked. It's like there's a producer behind him, telling him when to get excited, not telling him where to go as they did with Murray. Hungary was a prime example - for me it didn't come across as emotion (see Murray with Damon Hill at Suzuka in 1996), it was just lots of shouting and screaming showing total immaturity.

Edwards shouts like hell in the example I'm going to give, but there's total, pure passion for the sport if you watch the final laps of the Michigan 500 of 2000 (it'll be on Youtube). I've never really heard him on F1 Digital, but thought he was excellent on Eurosport in the mid-90s with John Watson (who always has bugged me, and I can't work out why).

I've thought since I watched Indycar in the 90s that Ben Edwards was a superior commentator than Murray to be honest. ITV just seem to have a habit of always promoting from within.
Date: February 28, 2007 01:42PM
Never had a problem with Edward's commentary, far more pleasing to the ear than James Allen whatever he commentates on.
Date: February 28, 2007 01:48PM
Posted by: lukepm
It seems like they are just sticking with him cos its the easiest option. i like it when ex drivers commentate (like brundle) or test drivers (anthony davidsons commentary at hungary was really good) I think brundle should be the main commentator with various people supporting him. allen should get back to the pits with ted....

Date: February 28, 2007 01:55PM

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

1:45 onwards mark on the clock.... :D

This has just become one of my top 3 murray moments, the excitement roflmfao!

Classic!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 01:57PM by danm.
Date: February 28, 2007 02:33PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
John Watson (who always has bugged me, and I can't work
> out why).
>
> I've thought since I watched Indycar in the 90s
> that Ben Edwards was a superior commentator than
> Murray to be honest. ITV just seem to have a habit
> of always promoting from within.

Probably because John Watson can't go five minutes without mentioning himself?

I agree though, whenever I download races from the mid 90's, I do enjoy the Eurosport coverage over the BBC. Walker and Palmer were good, but Watson/Edwards was an unbeatable combination. The enthusiasm they display made their shouting so much more worth it. They made the dullest of races enjoyable, something the current ITV team (or SpeedTV for the Yanks among us) cannot match.

lukepm, Brundle as the main commentator wouldn't work. Who would support him? Allen provides a foil (however seemingly contrived) to his *ahem* laidback-ness.

Date: February 28, 2007 03:21PM
can someone please post an audio run of edwards if they know of one please.

i'd certainly like to hear and see what all the hype is about!

thanks in advance :)

Date: February 28, 2007 04:09PM
Listened to him on a1gp at the weekend as i said he knows his stuff but i just find the shouting to much.
Date: February 28, 2007 04:43PM

">
Date: February 28, 2007 05:18PM
Edwards has the higher pitched voice on that clip. I don't find that Edwards shouts anymore than Murray did when he was doing F1.
Date: February 28, 2007 05:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
ok, Ben was shouting a lot in that clip, but it wasn't cringeworthy the way Allen was at Hungary.

the only thing I hear Ben on is the BTCC, and i think he's really good on that. his voice works for that because it's quite sharp like Murray's, and because BTCC is generally more exciting that F1. maybe he wouldn't be suited to F1 because of the lack of excitement though.

that JPM/Andretti finish was genuinely exciting, and Ben's screaming didn't sound forced, whereas even though Button's win was exciting, James just went OTT and sounded silly.

and i don't think people don't like James because he had to fill murray's shoes, he'd be just as irritating if Murray had never existed. but he was fine when he did Ted's job in the pits while murray was still active.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 28, 2007 05:55PM
I suppose the difference was with murry it was murry if u know what i mean and most of us grew up with him doing f1.

I know some people also did not watch f1 simply due to murry they could not stand his voice.

I just blot James out tbh apart from the button thing were he just lost it and went ott but so did davidson.

Murry would have just cried like when hill and mansell won the championship.

Ben Edwards is rated highly by alot of people he is just not my cup of tea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy