Alonso denies McLaren demanded 'new image'

Posted by R0b3rt0_38 
Alonso denies McLaren demanded 'new image'
Date: January 19, 2007 01:05AM
Posted by: R0b3rt0_38
maybe old or something but i saw in some other thread people said Ron/McLaren would have "ordered" him to clean his image and about changing his helmet design/colours...

Fernando Alonso has denied that McLaren asked him to adopt a 'new image' for 2007 after winning two world titles for Renault.

The Mercedes-powered Spaniard sported a cropped haircut and a new silver and black helmet design in Valencia last night as the wraps were pulled off the MP4-22 in a spectacular launch event.

More than 100,000 spectators - including F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone - congregated at Valencia's beautiful Arts and Sciences complex to catch a glimpse of Alonso and his rookie team-mate Lewis Hamilton in action on a temporary circuit.

Asked specifically about his haircut, 25-year-old Alonso insisted: "It was my decision alone and nothing to do with the team.

"In fact, I thought about doing it at the end of last year, but I am very superstitious and I decided to leave it until the start of 2007."

Alonso and Hamilton's new car for 2007 appeared to be a conservative development of the MP4-21, with the most notable difference being the number '1' on the nose and the appearance of bright orange on the drivers' overalls.

Source GMM
CAPSIS International

[www.f1-live.com]

- - - - -
Roberto - CTDP

www.rob38designs.co.nr
Re: Alonso denies McLaren demanded 'new image'
Date: January 19, 2007 03:16AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
I really don't think a cropped head and sideburns is a good look. That goes for Hamilton as well.

Date: January 19, 2007 06:22AM
Posted by: IWE
"Fernando Alonso has denied that McLaren asked him to adopt a 'new image' for 2007 after winning two world titles for Renault."

lol

lol

lol

Nazi Dennis wud have spanked Alonso's ass if he wud have said truth.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 19, 2007 09:24AM
Posted by: Rubidius
Ron Dennis isn't a Nazi by any stretch of the imagination. Why does it have to be Ron's fault if Fernando wants a different haircut?
Date: January 19, 2007 09:28AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
and anyway WHO gives a toss even if it is true?

Date: January 19, 2007 01:05PM
Posted by: matthewp
indeed. Anyway they're paying him enough he should bloody well do what they tell him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 01:09PM by matthewp.
Date: January 19, 2007 01:39PM
Posted by: Imran
Indeed I know not to have stupid hair in my job and i get nowhere near the money/benefits that alonso does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 19, 2007 01:58PM
Posted by: IWE
Rubidius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron Dennis isn't a Nazi by any stretch of the
> imagination. Why does it have to be Ron's fault if
> Fernando wants a different haircut?

I'm sorry. I did mean dictator..

Also all McLaren drivers "want's" to have Mercedes-Benz, they have same opinion about everything as team have.. And when they move from team to another they are complete differentkind persons..

And he dont agree with others. Others have to agree with him (about rules and everything).

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 19, 2007 03:23PM
Posted by: tripleM
So if he has bad luck he will grow it back?

Date: January 19, 2007 04:12PM
Posted by: Nickv
IWE schreef:
> Rubidius Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ron Dennis isn't a Nazi by any stretch of the
> > imagination. Why does it have to be Ron's fault
> if
> > Fernando wants a different haircut?
>
>
>
>
> I'm sorry. I did mean dictator..
>
> Also all McLaren drivers "want's" to have
> Mercedes-Benz, they have same opinion about
> everything as team have.. And when they move from
> team to another they are complete differentkind
> persons..
>
> And he dont agree with others. Others have to
> agree with him (about rules and everything).

As I said somewhere else. Mercedes are in F1 to sell road cars. Business men are people who buy Mercedes', so the drivers have to have that kind of image in order to sell more cars.
Date: January 19, 2007 04:53PM
Posted by: Henne
Gentleman drivers ;)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:06PM
Posted by: R0b3rt0_38
well i dont think its Ron's idea... actually Alonso already had that kind of haircut before anyway so why people think its Ron's idea?

- - - - -
Roberto - CTDP

www.rob38designs.co.nr
Date: January 19, 2007 10:10PM
Posted by: RonnyF1
If I made that amount of money and they wanted me to get an afro and the most ridiculous mostache ever, I wouldnt complain about it =)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:32PM
Posted by: vesuvius
R0b3rt0_38 Wrote:
> well i dont think its Ron's idea... actually
> Alonso already had that kind of haircut before
> anyway so why people think its Ron's idea?

well why wouldn't it be ? he made changes to other drivers as well ...like for Montoya who lost quite many kilos because of Ron's order :)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:34PM
Posted by: elemental
Alonso's hair rocked. Shame he cut it...
Date: January 19, 2007 10:38PM
"Business men are people who buy Mercedes', so the drivers have to have that kind of image in order to sell more cars."

Do businessmen really go for this look?

[img69.imageshack.us]

[img462.imageshack.us]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 10:39PM by tripleM.
Date: January 19, 2007 10:45PM
Posted by: Nickv
No, they don't. And if you would've read my post better, I said image, not looks, that's not the same though they don't have some sort of connection. I think you'll understand Mercedes, as the business class brand, don't like to be associated with the wild image and haircut Alonso used to have and prefer a more tidy one.
Date: January 19, 2007 10:55PM
A business class brand doesn't come to mind with the current Alonso image.

You have to trust me on this one. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 10:56PM by tripleM.
Date: January 20, 2007 12:50AM
Posted by: RonnyF1
Im pretty sure they arent marketing S classes with their race drivers. More towards to the sporty versions, SL, CL... wich are fine with wild hair i guess =)

Can you picture Alonso or Hamilton driving an S500 or a maybach? I sure dont =)
Date: January 20, 2007 04:21AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Idiots of the world wake up. Hair length has NOTHING to do with whether or not one is competent to do their job. I've seen guys with crewcuts who were @#$%& ups on their jobs and guys with long hair who knew their stuff. Same goes for the reverse. It's dependent on the individual, not the individuals hair.

I've worn it both long and short in my professional career, and never once did it effect my capabilities. It MIGHT have effected my employer's sense of propriety - but that's their hangup.

As for Alonzo - if he is willing to toe the McLaren company line then so be it. If his individuality was important to him he should have stayed the hell away from McLaren as Ron Dennis is a control freak and a man clearly out of touch with the 21st century.

Man how I wish Williams F1 would get thier shite together so McLaren could fade into obscurity....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy