GP2 WOW

Posted by Pooky 
GP2 WOW
Date: January 19, 2004 11:20AM
Posted by: Pooky
New Formula GP2 Series

An agreement has been reached at Formula One events to replace F3000 Championship from 2005 with the new Formula GP2 Series, which will take place at the European Formula One events.

This will be a stepping-stone into Formula One. The chassis and the engine will be more sophisticated than the current F3000 and the engine will produce 600 HP. This formula is supported by Renault with the chassis produced by Dallara and the engine to be designed, built and serviced by Renault.

Bernie Ecclestone has been helpful in this new formula and said that this will be a very good way for drivers, engineers and mechanics into Formula One.

As with F3000, the FIA will be the technical and sporting regulator of the series as they are in Formula One.

Yahoo Sports

Re: GP2 WOW
Date: January 19, 2004 01:38PM
Posted by: Alex13
yeah! sounds good

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: January 19, 2004 01:45PM
Posted by: Oleg
Wonder what will happen to the Nissan World Series.And Formula Renault V6 series for that matter.Looks like the end to me.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: January 19, 2004 04:01PM
Posted by: _Alex_
The series sounds great, but the name is a bit crap.

You can bet it will start being referred to as "Formula 2" (lazy people will start this, and it will catch on).

This will devalue the term "Formula One".

"Formula 3000" is a much better name.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: January 19, 2004 04:29PM
Posted by: fongu
hehe, i looked at the thread name and thought ANOTHER GP2 thread?! then i realised its this new series.......something i'd like to get involved in as a graduate engineer :)

Date: January 19, 2004 04:37PM
Posted by: Zcott
F3000 is Formula 2 as of this year, Alex. Apparently!

Date: January 19, 2004 05:09PM
Posted by: andrew_S
The series sounds great, but the name is a bit crap.

You can bet it will start being referred to as "Formula 2" (lazy people will start this, and it will catch on).

"Formula 3000" is a much better name.

wtf? why not?

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: January 19, 2004 05:20PM
Posted by: bigears
I am sure I am good enough with GP2 ;-) ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: January 19, 2004 05:43PM
Posted by: LS.
Having been to watch a F3000 race last year and seeing how fast and how loud those cars are, its quite easy to tell that its the next step toward F1

amazing stuff to see

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 19, 2004 08:12PM
Posted by: fcarmoracing
Wonder what will happen to the Nissan World Series.And Formula Renault V6 series for that matter.Looks like the end to me.

Only the F3000 intercontinental champ. is going to end.... Nissan World Series is independent, won´t end... and Renault V6 will be even stronger, since Renault will suply egines for GP2, I´m sure the champion will somehow get a free drive at the Formula GP2!!!!

Now you CAN sponsor me, click picture and know how
Date: January 20, 2004 03:21AM
also european F3000 will probably continue, thats older chassis anyway

Date: January 20, 2004 04:09AM
Posted by: iceman kimi
Renault are soon gonna have a monopoly of junior motorsports.

I cant imagine how much money they are investing in motorsport at the moment, it can only be encouraging for the future.

FRenault- very popular, huge grids. Great first step into cars.

FRenault V6 - very popular even afer just one season. Its like a highly advanced version of F3.

GP2 (Renault Powered)- gonna be the final rung on the ladder and very popular by the sounds of things.

Renault are obviously in it for the long run, and with this can pounce on talent early on before other teams can get thier mits on the young drivers.

Fat Flav will probably have about 200 contracted drivers by 2010!!!!

Iceman

Date: January 20, 2004 06:44AM
Posted by: Oleg
Nissan World Series is independent

Not necessarily.It's part-owned by Renault and as i heard in order for GP2 to go ahead it will be closed.

Renault V6 will be even stronger

I doubt that Renault will be given the rights to run 2 major international series under it's name.

BTW,here's yesterday's press release

PROPOSED RENAULT SERIES

The FIA has noted the Renault press release regarding the proposed formula GP2 series, one of several Renault promotional formulae.

Like any other private series Renault GP2 cars can run during FIA Formula One World Championship weekends, subject to making the necessary commercial arrangements with Formula One Management Limited, the commercial rights holders.

The FIA has not yet seen any proposed technical or sporting regulations for this series. When received, the draft regulations will be considered in the usual way.

Paris, January 19, 2004

Doesn't look like a done deal,yet.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: January 20, 2004 12:21PM
Yeah sorry it sounded like I thought it was a brand new series. The reason I said "series sounds great" was because they mentioned the new 600bhp engines, which will undoubtedly make a difference.

wtf? why not?

What do you mean?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: January 20, 2004 01:56PM

----------------------

i dont understand what the problem with that is at all, people probably will, i certainly will call it F2, and why does it devalue F1, after all thats originally what F3000 was, and it was only renamed to its Cubic capacity, and even that only makes people question you "why the hell is not F2? why 3000?" its a bit more logical, people will drop the GP bit but there isnt anything wrong with that

Date: January 20, 2004 02:39PM
In my opinion, the name "Formula 2" devalues the name "Formula 1" because it suggests that F2 is, you know, just a step behind... not quite as prestigious, but nearly. Let me explain why this is bad.

Formula One is, in real terms a giant leap from (what was previously) F3000 - however close the cars might be (which, if you're going to look at in detail, isn't very close). Formula One needs to be isolated as the pinnacle of motorsport.

Consequently, I feel calling a lesser series (even if it is the primary launching ground into F1) "Formula 2" is almost a challenge to F1's supremacy. I think "F3000" was better because again, it set that series apart as well, because it's quite an unusual name.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: January 20, 2004 02:44PM
wasnt that unusual, what about F5000, or FF1600 for example, its a logical step, imho anyway

Date: January 21, 2004 08:26AM
Posted by: anze89
interesting name. I hope that this will gave more good drivers and sponsors to F1

Date: January 21, 2004 08:47AM
Posted by: DrDougal
Formula 3000 was amazing a few years ago, HUGE grids and fantastic races! Last year was a let down as at one stage there were only 15 cars on the grid. I hope GP2 will bring back the "good old days".
Date: January 21, 2004 10:43AM
Posted by: Pooky
i dont think it downgrades Formula 1 at all

because anyone with any knowledge would know that F1 is miles ahead of any other series

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy