Johnny Herbert

Posted by danm 
Re: Johnny Herbert
Date: November 23, 2006 05:43PM
Posted by: cavey24
Nice guy johnny

i still get goosebums when he won those races in the tribute,these kind of drivers we miss these days

Date: November 23, 2006 05:45PM
Posted by: Muks_C
he went out with a bang too, remember his last race accident in the Jag at Malaysia 2000, when his rear suspension failed? the marshalls helped him out of the car.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 23, 2006 06:04PM
Posted by: danm
When I return home, I shall have to take a photograph of the framed signed photo I use to have on my wall! (waiting for my new bedroom to be build before it goes back up!)

A lady who does/did PR for williams called Annie someone gave my mum one of those tiny snippet photo negatives from under the podium from the 1995 British Grand Prix! A genuine photo where Johnny is held on the shoulders of DC and Alesi :)

My mum got it blown up 40cm x 60cm and gave it to me for for christmas that year! Good ole' mum!

Still have all my Johnny Herbert Fan Club stuff stored away in a box in the loft, with all the Lotus 1992 memorabilia and Herbert/Hakkinen team photos signed only by Johnny though, haha Mika looks so young! And Johnny is a proper gingerhead lol!

I remember the Fan Club being run by his mum and dad, and personally hand writing all the addresses and member cards - I was member 95! Still got that card too woo!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 23, 2006 06:07PM
Posted by: SpykerMF1
Always liked Herbert myself especially when he addmitted he sh*t himself during races (at least if memory serves me right he addmitted it). But apparently in one of Steve Matchetts books Steve basically said Herbert was a bit of a whinger when partnered with Schumi saying his car wasn't as good. Which Steve says just wasn't true having been working on both cars at the time.
Date: November 23, 2006 06:18PM
Posted by: danm
wasn't herbert the one who initiated the same thing rubens said about schumacher not letting their teammates tune their setups as much as he was allowed to?

i dont mean to add to the flame of schumacher haters, just i remember reading in autosport about more than just one driver than rubens saying it.

)oh and i have to find the official bennetton 1995 end of season photo - you thought rubens sat behind michael was bad in the ferrari years, you can only just about work out johnnys head in this one behind all the mechanics. Lol!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2006 06:19PM by danm.
Date: November 23, 2006 06:20PM
Posted by: Senna
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wasn't herbert the one who initiated the same
> thing rubens said about schumacher not letting
> their teammates tune their setups as much as he
> was allowed to?
>
> i dont mean to add to the flame of schumacher
> haters, just i remember reading in autosport about
> more than just one driver than rubens saying it.

Why the hell would Schumacher dont let their teammates tune the setups as much as he was allowed to?! I am not defending him but bleeeehhhh, if it is for real, its enough proof of how dirty the man was. Irvine, Herbert, Rubens, they all complained about his politics and ethics inside Ferrari/Benetton.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: November 23, 2006 06:39PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
I remember hearing that at the start, schumacher and herbert agreed to share setup data, but then quickly herbert became faster than schumacher and so schumacher stopped sharing the data.

H E L L O
Date: November 23, 2006 06:42PM
Posted by: tripleM
Uh-oh.

"Throughout my career with Benetton,I worked with Michael and each of his subsequent teammates.I have also worked with every one of the Benetton mechanic and every engineer in the team and it has been my experience that the quality of commitment and standard of worksmanship that was available to one Benetton driver was always available to the other."

Matchett.

Date: November 23, 2006 07:39PM
Posted by: mikef1
The same thing happened at Ferrari when Mansell and Prost where team mates, Prost would want to know what setup Nigel was using but didn't let Mansell see what he was up to.
Date: November 23, 2006 07:58PM
mikef1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The same thing happened at Ferrari when Mansell
> and Prost where team mates, Prost would want to
> know what setup Nigel was using but didn't let
> Mansell see what he was up to.

Same thing at McLaren with Prost/Senna too, until Imola 89 AFAIK.

Date: November 23, 2006 11:32PM
Posted by: Vader
Herbert looks actually more Dutch than British. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 24, 2006 12:21AM
Posted by: Slash
> Why the hell would Schumacher dont let their
> teammates tune the setups as much as he was
> allowed to?! I am not defending him but
> bleeeehhhh, if it is for real, its enough proof of
> how dirty the man was. Irvine, Herbert, Rubens,
> they all complained about his politics and ethics
> inside Ferrari/Benetton.

Wowowowo, actually Irvine always talked about how good michael was, and that sometimes after he finished some quick laps, Schumy came and did faster, and he always think to himself "how i'm gonna compete with that", and Rubens said at the beginning of his Ferrari years that michael was greater than Senna, and every year i remember that he always said he would try to beat Michael, that that was his challengue and stuff, of course now that he's out of ferrari after being trashed in 2005, he's got a reputation to protect, about Herbert i don't know, but..

So politics or not, they would always get beaten, besides, it's better when you win races by your own, instead of using someone else's set up!!
Date: November 24, 2006 01:59AM
I dunno about Irvine but...

Rubens never said that MS was greater than Senna. Never. I cant believe in someone who after leaving Ferrari for Honda is shooting critics to the old team and MS.

As far as I know Schumacher used Rubens setups to win races too. I can remember that he said it in a newspaper.

But IMHO i dont see problems with using someone else's setups. I'd use if I fail to find one. Setups dont make winners. Its like soccer, super tactics are nothing without a winning team, and a winning team is nothing without a super tactic.

Date: November 24, 2006 07:03AM
Posted by: Guimengo
please do not go on about Parreira ;)
Date: November 24, 2006 11:11AM
Posted by: marcl
Yes herbert said he was not allowed to set up the car as he wanted to he had to follow the same type of setup that ms used.

The 1st time herbert tested the benetton in 1994 he was only slightly slower than MS.

Herbert also said he was not allowed to see the data from MS car so on and so on.
Date: November 24, 2006 12:51PM
So, can anyone tell me why a driver supposedly only slightly slower than Schumacher wasn't retained?

Date: November 24, 2006 01:15PM
"The 1st time herbert tested the benetton in 1994 he was only slightly slower than MS. "

Brundle was on MS race pace in 1992 yet he was not kept either.

Thats what I said

More like explain why a driver was close to ms in 1994 was then not in 1995. Sorry to say a number of drivers who were the team mate to MS have all said the same thing relating to not being allowed to see data, not being allowed to work on their cars they way they want.

Agree MS should have had the best stuff he was the number 1 driver etc but the 2nd drivers should have been given the chance to at least set their cars up.
Date: November 24, 2006 01:47PM
You didn't (try to) answer my question.

But anyway

"Brundle was on MS race pace in 1992 yet he was not kept either."

There was a good reason.

People from Benetton explicitely stated that Patrese gained them many weeks of time in introducing the active suspension.

And again, nobody from Benetton wants to back Herbert up on his allegations.

Date: November 24, 2006 01:56PM
herbert was replaced probably due to fact he was seen to complain, but if its true what he said he was never given a fair chance.
Date: November 24, 2006 03:08PM
Posted by: mikef1
It is strange that all of Schumacher's team mates at Bennetton did not stay for more than one season.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy