McLaren rules out Hakkinen race return

Posted by danm 
Re: McLaren rules out Hakkinen race return
Date: November 22, 2006 12:19PM
Posted by: chet
Impossible to compare.

Mika back in F1 as anything would make me a happy man.

On the driver front Lewis is a much more marketable driver than Pedro and possibly quicker.

And its not asif we need any more marketing in Spain, Alonso sells the crowd out at Barcelona! lol

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 22, 2006 01:08PM
Posted by: gary42
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> On the driver front Lewis is a much more
> marketable driver than Pedro

I remember when he won the GP2 title, they had an interview with him on BBC news, and the reporter was talking about how 'marketable a black driver in F1' would be, which apparently Bernie agrees with.

Date: November 22, 2006 01:23PM
Posted by: LS.
like an indian F1 driver ;-)

Narayan Karthikeyan was a novelty to start with, Lewis will be also.

Personally speaking if i were Lewis i'd be pissed off that people are more interested in the colour of ones skin rather than talent.

He must be sick to the back teeth of being referred to as the first black F1 driver.

Shouldnt be too long into his career til his colour isnt mentioned if Narayan is anything to go by.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2006 01:24PM by LS..
Date: November 22, 2006 01:29PM
Couldn't agree more LS, but unfortunately that's how marketing men will always think

Date: November 22, 2006 01:31PM
Posted by: Kiki
i thow but alex zanardi comback to f1
Date: November 22, 2006 01:36PM
gary42 Wrote:
> Couldn't agree more LS, but unfortunately that's
> how marketing men will always think

cant think of anything that would make a blackman more marketable than a white man, what are these execs going to do?

Get Lewis sponsored by gold manufacturers and baseball cap companys?

surely no one is that stupid they would buy something because someones being paid to endorse it because of ethnicity?

If Lewis turns out to be a dud in F1 his colour wont have anything to do with it, then we'll see how these marketing execs feel about him being marketable if hes black & crap.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: November 22, 2006 01:36PM
Posted by: mikef1
"He must be sick to the back teeth of being referred to as the first black F1 driver."

On the contrary when he was interviewed on the ITV show on his season he was making a point that it's a good thing to finally see a black driver in F1. Obviously he knows that from a marketing point of view he is making the most of this with the media.
Date: November 22, 2006 01:37PM
he's not going to come out and say he is, is he?

Dont forget his been Ron Dennis's protege for years ;-)

The ultimate PR man.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: November 22, 2006 01:40PM
Lol true! Fortunately he doesn't seem to have turned into one of Ron's droids yet.
Date: November 22, 2006 01:54PM
LS. Wrote:
> surely no one is that stupid they would buy
> something because someones being paid to endorse
> it because of ethnicity?

The idea (as far as i can make out) is not so much that people will buy things because of his ethnicity, but that people from that ethnic background will follow the sport more than they currently do

Date: November 22, 2006 02:08PM
well marketing and tv figures will prove one way or another wether it will have a positive impact or not.

From a personal point of view i dont follow the predominantly black sport of basketball, and neither would start watching it if a up and coming superstar in the making was on his way up to making it as the next white hope so to speak.

I guess if just 1 single person gets into viewing F1 because of Lewis being the first person of black descent to take part in the sport then i suppose thats it being achieved.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: November 22, 2006 02:18PM
Posted by: Senna
And the rumors are being stronger now, after the media press confirmed that Mika had a medical exam to check his physical conditions this week...

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: November 22, 2006 02:28PM
Posted by: chet
Mika should enter le mans. Its a race which i would rather do above all races! :P

I doubt he will race in F1 again, maybe a test or 2. but no race.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 22, 2006 03:03PM
Posted by: vesuvius
I'm quite sure Mika will test...one of Mika's very close friend said he is quite sure about that he will test McLaren's F1 car... but that doesn't mean he will make a comeback.
Date: November 22, 2006 03:25PM
Posted by: marcl
I think he will race in F1 in 2007 MS has gone and they need a name bet Bernie has something to do with this.
Date: November 22, 2006 03:33PM
Ron Dennis was quite much against about this idea first but after a little time ...he thought that it would be good for marketing to have 2 double world champions in his team :) but well some finnish newspapers think this rumour is only marketing ...McLaren wants publicity after a bad year .
Date: November 22, 2006 03:39PM
according to the most reliable magazine that I know ,Lewis Hamilton has a racing driver contract with McLaren(already since september) but McLaren will test Hakkinen but it's most likely only to advertise DTM-serie that is in serious troubles at the moment...
Date: November 22, 2006 03:41PM
Posted by: Nickv
If I were Hakkinen, I wouldn't come back. What if he gets totally destroyed? He'd go into the history books like some Alan Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2006 03:41PM by Nickv.
Date: November 22, 2006 03:49PM
I don't think he would get destroyed and even if he would that wouldn't change anything about his past what he has done in the past will stay ...he will always be 2 time F1 worldchampion no matter what the future will bring.
Date: November 22, 2006 03:51PM
"but it's most likely only to advertise DTM-serie that is in serious troubles at the moment..."

I didn't know that DTM was in trouble. The attendace at all the races i saw on tv was very good indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy