How to slow F1 cars down for 2008

Posted by turkey_machine 
Re: How to slow F1 cars down for 2008
Date: August 28, 2006 02:16PM
Posted by: Willb
"F1 racing is a risk, but many many more people get injured playing football (a non contact sport) than F1. F1 is incredibly safe for what it is and how far it haas come in the last 10 years. "

how many footballers are there, and how many f1 drivers are there ?

point taken ;-) ?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 28, 2006 03:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hehe, football is not a contact sport... funny ;)
Date: September 02, 2006 10:01PM
Posted by: pete-21
keiran Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Why slow them down? When was the last time an F1 driver was hurt in
> the car?
>
People were saying this in 1994, Senna was in the process of re-forming the GPDA to get more of a say from the drivers point of view. The first meeting was due to take place at the next race in Monaco, as it turned out this was one race too late for him.

Jenson, Jenson, he's our man,
If he can't win it,
Someone else........er can?
Date: September 03, 2006 12:51AM
Posted by: Nemesis78
But I dont want F1 slower. I want to be able for 2 or more cars to run nose to tail and get a good tow.

Max can bang on about freezing engine regs, and bringing costs down. But all he needs to do is alter the rear downforce by either employing a gurney. Or by changing the rear wing/diffuser regulations so they create the vital stalled air speed.

BTW Slick tyres wont increase overtaking, or reduce speeds.
Date: September 03, 2006 12:20PM
Posted by: keiran
pete-21 Wrote:
> keiran Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why slow them down? When was the last time an F1 driver was hurt
> in
> > the car?
> >
> People were saying this in 1994, Senna was in the process of
> re-forming the GPDA to get more of a say from the drivers point of
> view. The first meeting was due to take place at the next race in
> Monaco, as it turned out this was one race too late for him.

It's the risk the drivers take, that's where the adrenaline lies in racing. F1 is very safe, crash your road car into the indy banking at 70mph and you'll be lucky to come out alive.

If any of them drivers were worried about being killed or hurt they'd not be in the seat because they wouldn't have the confidence to push. It's something they don't worry about so why should we?

Karts are more dangerous than F1 cars these days. More people will get hurt in one class over a season than there will be of a similar amount of drivers in F1.

F1 will always be and as far as I'm aware always has been one of the more `dull` racing series at the time for overtaking. The FIA haven't helped the problem by forcing them to lift the front wing, not using slicks for mechanical grip and not allowing them the use of the floor.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2006 12:29PM by keiran.
Date: September 03, 2006 12:48PM
Posted by: tripleM
"How to slow F1 cars down for 2008"

Non-stopping races.

Date: September 03, 2006 01:25PM
Posted by: mikef1
I personally want to see the end of refueling as i don't think it adds anything to the spectacle of F1 and it would make for better racing without it imo.
I think a fuel limit could possibly be a good idea too.
Date: September 03, 2006 01:59PM
Posted by: chet
Karts are more dangerous than F1 cars these days. More people will get hurt in one class over a season than there will be of a similar amount of drivers in F1.

but is that because F1drivers wont make the same mistakes kart drivers would?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 03, 2006 04:57PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think it's because karts don't have a monocoque, don't have high things to prevent you flying out, no threads to keep the wheels on, (hardly) no crumple zone...

Do I need to add more?
Date: September 03, 2006 06:39PM
Posted by: mikef1
No rollover hoop is the thing that scares me the most about karts.
Date: September 03, 2006 06:59PM
Posted by: keiran
chet Wrote:
> but is that because F1drivers wont make the same mistakes kart drivers
> would?

F1 drivers can make the same mistakes as someone racing a kart can. Get a grid of A final drivers and they'll make very few mistakes if any.

Nickv Wrote:
>I think it's because karts don't have a monocoque, don't have high things to prevent you >flying out, no threads to keep the wheels on, (hardly) no crumple zone...

mikef1 Wrote:
>No rollover hoop is the thing that scares me the most about karts.

Believe me you want thrown out, no way do you want to be stuck in that when it flys through the air several times. That's why you should really use a correctly fitting seat and to protect your ribs which I think is probably the most common injury suffered by karters from the Gs.

My main point was in a class of karts which will do about 80mph more people get hurt than the same amount of drivers doing 200mph over a season. The difference in speed is so huge when you think about the amount of energy in a big F1 crash to a kart crash it would be a lot higher, but the F1 car still deals with it well enough that the driver walks off nearly all of the time.

No superkarts really run up here but they do about 140-50mph and from what I've heard can be very sore when you crash ;)

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2006 07:22PM by keiran.
Date: September 03, 2006 09:30PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Formula One cars are incredible, yet they could be very different - we could have a six-wheeled, ground-effect, active suspension car. I think it is time for another change, not to slow down cars - or development - but to even the field so there is greater competition. Slicks can only be a good thing, and manuals. I think that the cars should be more tightly defined - then the truly talented designers would show.
Date: September 04, 2006 10:41AM
Posted by: Dahie
How much tighter do you want it? Did you read the technical regulations? I did for one of my cars and it is totally regulated, how a car has to look like. Too find areas of freedom for development is hard and teams already have very creative to come up with new ideas. Over the last years the cars came closer to the "perfect" design, where there are only marginal improvements possible. That's why all cars look pretty much the same, part from some small variations and why teams have to invest imense sums to find those small improvements.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: September 04, 2006 01:55PM
Posted by: villafan
Here's a mad idea. Allow slick tyres at the front only and only groove tyres at the rear. That would liven things up a bit!
Date: September 04, 2006 03:59PM
Posted by: marcl
well the v8s were meant to slow the cars down they have on the str8s but are now faster in corners and the drivers have even more g force
Date: September 04, 2006 06:30PM
Posted by: jonahm
sod that...what about steve Irwin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Date: September 04, 2006 07:38PM
Posted by: Nickv
Uhhhh....

Off-topic forum maybe?
Date: September 04, 2006 09:51PM
Posted by: Muks_C
villafan Wrote:
> Here's a mad idea. Allow slick tyres at the front only and only groove
> tyres at the rear. That would liven things up a bit!

in that case, why not have all 4 tyres as slicks, but the rear tyres narrower, instead of having grooves? i've never seen the reason or point of having grooves, when they could just make the maximum width of the tyres narrower instead.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 04, 2006 10:31PM
Posted by: chet
Hmmm that would look terrible ;) even more so that than the grooves, and to further make it worse the track was reduced, so all in all one damn ugly F1 car.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 04, 2006 11:34PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah i'm not putting that idea forward, just saying there is no point in messing with grooved and ungrooved tyres, just have them all as slicks, then narrow the width till the contact patch is the same as when they had wider tyres with grooves.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy