What is BMW doing?

Posted by vbc 
What is BMW doing?
Date: August 24, 2006 05:31AM
Posted by: vbc
I was going to post this in the Turkish GP spoler topic, but it is currently focused in mass damper stuff.

Why has BMW putting an unexperienced driver as tester? I mean Heidfield is the experienced driver there and in my opinion they can not retain a 19 years old driver to give feedback :S, anyway hopefully for them they can get an experienced driver soon and go up the field, it would be a shame if they follow Jaguar.

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Re: What is BMW doing?
Date: August 24, 2006 06:11AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Sebastien Vettel is their third driver. I dont see what this has to do with heidfield who is their race driver.
Date: August 24, 2006 07:39AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Missing JV already eh?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: August 24, 2006 11:33AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Enzo
He means, that a experienced driver like Heidfeld , how he should be getting feedback from a 19 year old kid who has almost no experience at all
Date: August 24, 2006 12:30PM
Posted by: dada
they have changed the 2/3 of the drivers line up from the start of the season .

Someone got a problem .... and believes that this is at the drivers side .
who choosed JV as a driver for BMW ?
what was expacting from him ?

All F1 grid knew who was JV and what could do ... exept the BMW ?

There is no possibity to make better a car with most lazy and the worst at "car feed back infos" driver .

Those are not my words ..ask ( read ) Renaults for the 1997`season .
JV made this a derby .... with the super car

Sorry VBC ...but that the true .

ps .... Who is the World Champion that never lead a single lap after the season he won th Championship....

Now you know the answer ....

Date: August 24, 2006 02:12PM
Posted by: danm
actually, villeneuve didnt do so badly as people suggest...

in a williams meccachrome that was not particularly good during the mclaren years of 98/99 he was certainly a contender for best of the rest after the ferraris and mclarens. he scored two podiums dont forget, and a string of 4th 5th and 6th places. not bad with 3 retirements ALL season too!

we can forget 1999 as the bar intro year, dont even count the retirements lol!

During he ferrari domination of 00/01/02/03 etc JV didnt fare too badly in 2000 in a less than performing BAR honda just missing the podium on a number of occasions with 4ths and 5ths.

the years after were those troublesome craig pollock times which i could put blame to bad performance we just dont know. could be any reason as much as another.

nonetheless fast foward to today, 2006 hasnt been too bad, hes just getting back into a consistent form, ok not championship winning form but a consistent form!

i think he'll be back, albeit with a much much lesser team.

or maybe prodrive? :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 24, 2006 05:11PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
ERm why would they put Heidfeld as their Friday tester?
That means he wouldnbt be able to RACE!

I am sure they can get more than enough data off Vettel. Whats make Kubica any better hes only 2 years older than Kubica ;)
Date: August 24, 2006 06:07PM
Posted by: mikef1
I agree with Dan, JV hasn't done as badly as people think by just looking at stats, he's had some pretty poor cars to drive since '97. However his PR side of things has let him down badly as team owners have a bad impression of him.
I also believe that having a 19 year old as a tester is not the best way to develop the car, they simply cannot give the same feedback as someone who has a good understanding and feel of an F1 car like PDLR and Wurz do, especially given their experience.
Date: August 24, 2006 06:47PM
@Jagdpanzer, dada : When did I mention JV? Is it because my pic only? then I should talk about Coulthard and GP3Hotlaps too :S
He is out of F1, over.

Thanks to those who give their opinion about BMW putting Vettel as third driver, and yes I think they should get an experienced driver if they want to improve.

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: August 24, 2006 07:43PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Enzo
I agree with vbc. It makes no sence at all. It's their first year as BMW, and I can't see how they want to make a reasonable team out of it when they put Kubica and Vettel in their cars. Okay they are tallented guys but you've got to have some experrience in the team. They know (most of them) how a good, proffesional team works and all...ah wel, we'll see how it turns out :)
Date: August 25, 2006 12:05AM
Posted by: dada
Are you expecting logic moves from the team which in her first intepentend outro hired JV as a driver ?

They are rookies ( at least they are acting like rookies )

Date: August 25, 2006 08:49AM
Posted by: Muks_C
"intepentend"

greatest

spelling

EVER!

sorry, don't mean to mock :)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 08:49AM by Muks_C.
Date: August 25, 2006 09:28AM
Posted by: Brianf666
BMW retained JV 'cos it would have cost a packet to get out of his Sauber contract and his experience was not a bad asset to have for a while. Unlike some team managers, Mario Thiessen is not going to throw money around on getting top test drivers in year one. He is convinced that making a great car is more important than having drivers who can win in an average car. This is a tactic he may have learnt from FW, but the old man already had a great car when he said that.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: August 25, 2006 02:54PM
Posted by: Trido
And then the guy you are criticising does rather well so far this weekend. For shame. :P
Date: August 25, 2006 03:46PM
Posted by: gin
PR stunt, they fueled him very low......

Date: August 25, 2006 04:58PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
gin Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> PR stunt, they fueled him very low......
>
>
>

and how do you know this. BMW tell you ;)
Date: August 25, 2006 07:58PM
Posted by: gin
Date: August 25, 2006 08:24PM
Posted by: Zcott
Courtesy of grandprix.com:

On several occasions this year BMW has run cars with lighter fuel loads in order to make the right impression in F1 and on Friday in Istanbul the team did it again with F1 newcomer Sebastian Vettel setting the fastest time in his first day of action in F1. Although the youngster clearly ran without much fuel in his car, he did a good job and marked himself as a man to be watched in F1 in the future.

Date: August 25, 2006 11:48PM
Posted by: elemental
I think that shoving Villeneuve out was a really stupid decision. Even if they wanted to bring in new drivers, surely with less than half the season to go it wasn't of the upmost importance? Now they're in a situation where their Friday test man (and let's not play down the importance of the third driver) has next to no F1 experience. His feedback, whatever the situation, will not rival anyone who has more experience. Therefore, BMW will have an information deficit and therefore profit far less from having a third driver than they should do, and it will hamper their race drivers.
Date: August 26, 2006 03:25AM
Trido Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> And then the guy you are criticising does rather well so far this
> weekend. For shame. :P

Did someone criticise Vettel? Did you read the title of this thread? BMW should be the taking point.

People here like to use branches :S

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy