:O

Posted by chet 
:O
Date: August 12, 2006 06:16PM
Posted by: chet
[www.grandprix.com]

and while where on it... did the FIA test the CDG wing with a diffuser? ;-)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 06:21PM by chet.
Re: :O
Date: August 12, 2006 07:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
After I read the title I immedeatly knew what is was about :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 07:11PM by Nickv.
Date: August 12, 2006 07:34PM
Posted by: DrDougal
I am looking forward to the return to slick tyres and usage of CDG rear wings.

I find 2 seconds a lap quicker is very supprising! I know there is more rubber in contact but i never realised how much time the grooves cost!

I also find is bizare that Ferrari used GP2 tyres to test on. Couldn't they just use normal tyres without the grooves cut out, or would this be breaking any FIA rules?
Date: August 12, 2006 07:38PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think Bridgestone would have to make a whole new tyre then. Using GP2 tyres was just easier I think.
Date: August 12, 2006 08:50PM
Posted by: Senna
PLEASE DO NOT BRING THAT UGLY CDG WINGS!! ARRRGHHHH

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: August 12, 2006 09:21PM
Posted by: pete-21
That rear wing is pig ugly BUT F1 does need to reduce aerodynamic downforce to improve overtaking. IF the rear wing does this then I'll get used to it.

While they are changing the rear wing why don't they get rid of all the other little bits that have sprung up on the cars as well?

Jenson, Jenson, he's our man,
If he can't win it,
Someone else........er can?
Date: August 12, 2006 09:41PM
Posted by: bestobritish
everyone goes on about these small wings that are appearing but overtaking was still difficult in say 1999 when they only had one small wing on the sidepods, if that.

The cars just have too much downforce from the main wings/diffusers + as they say the aero problem of the rear tyres.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 12, 2006 10:23PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Sure there is too much downforce and maybe a tidier version of the CDG wing is the best result. But I'd do away with all the winglets and have single element front and rear wings. I'd also try to find a way of stopping the 'ground-effect' of the current sweeping of the sidepods. I heard that sidepods may be completely ruled out soon. Let's just hope that, for once, the FIA and the teams can agree on the best way forward for competitive sport and continued safety.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: August 12, 2006 10:54PM
Posted by: mikef1
"everyone goes on about these small wings that are appearing but overtaking was still difficult in say 1999 when they only had one small wing on the sidepods, if that."

I'd say that was more down to tyres as they put another groove in the fronts for '99 which made for less mechanical grip hence less confidence when overtaking off line. Barge boards, winglets, flip-ups, those weird ear like thingies the FIA should get rid of them all and have less aero efficient and better looking cars.
Date: August 12, 2006 10:57PM
Posted by: Muks_C
DrDougal Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I also find is bizare that Ferrari used GP2 tyres to test on. Couldn't
> they just use normal tyres without the grooves cut out
, or would this
> be breaking any FIA rules?

do they actually make a slick tyre then "cut" grooves out? or are they moulded with the grooves already in to save time cutting them out afterwards?

seems logical to do it the moulded way rather than cut them out later.

and they could keep the "traditional" style wing, but just make them a lot smaller to cut downforce. reduce the width slightly, reduce the depth by half, and limit the angle of attack they can use and only allow 1 element to be used on the rear.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: August 12, 2006 11:03PM
Posted by: anze89
rear wing is not the problem. Ban all sidepod wings and lower the front wing to the ground, bring back slick tyres (with fat rear ones), make the cars wider again, get rid of wooden car bottom and ban carbon brakes.

Doesn't it look fantastic with all that sparks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 11:03PM by anze89.
Date: August 12, 2006 11:07PM
Posted by: Muks_C
my changes would be for the front wing also.

and making them closer to the ground would be to increase the aero grip which is opposite to what we want (we want more mechanical grip fromt he tyres, and less aero grip), and they wouldn't allow it because it would make then faster around corners, that's the whole reason they raised the front wing.

make the wings less efficient, then add slick tyres and the mechanical grip would be increased, while the aero grip would be decreased. that would hopefully mean cars are slower round the corners, but that other cars can follow closely round corners, which they can't do currently.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: August 12, 2006 11:45PM
thing is will this wing work?

instead of the 2 trailing vortices wont we now have four? even if smaller?

meh... guess no-one will know till its done. did anyone hear the thing about what this wing does to the pressure in a following cars airbox ?

*waits for one of those vortex generater/aero for dummies things*

but yeah nick.. the :O was for the tyres... 2seconds is like almost a year and a halfs development is it not?!

Date: August 12, 2006 11:48PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Simply just ban the damn winglets we see all over the car, have only front and rear wing and a slight curve on sidepods
Date: August 12, 2006 11:54PM
Ban any kinda venturi tunnels in he under-body and keep it flat, but yeah enough of topics like that :P

so yeah does this mean slicks for next year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 11:55PM by chet.
Date: August 13, 2006 12:01AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Date: August 13, 2006 12:31AM
why would they be testing some now though? just for a reference point?

Date: August 13, 2006 01:41AM
Posted by: DrDougal
1997 was my personal favourite formula 1 year ever! I think just make the cars like they were back then would be cool with me.
Date: August 13, 2006 02:44AM
Posted by: anze89
Muks_C Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> my changes would be for the front wing also.
>
> and making them closer to the ground would be to increase the aero
> grip which is opposite to what we want (we want more mechanical grip
> fromt he tyres, and less aero grip), and they wouldn't allow it
> because it would make then faster around corners, that's the whole
> reason they raised the front wing.
>
> make the wings less efficient, then add slick tyres and the mechanical
> grip would be increased, while the aero grip would be decreased. that
> would hopefully mean cars are slower round the corners, but that other
> cars can follow closely round corners, which they can't do currently.
>

15 years ago the front wing was very low placed and the rear one was bigger than today (at least it looks like that on videos). And racing at that time was better than today, so yes, that's what we want to see.

Date: August 13, 2006 02:49AM
Posted by: keiran
Simple solution is let them use the floor in a far more effective manner. As far as I'm aware FIA rules restrict them from using the floor so much, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a GP2 car gain a lot of its aerodynamical grip through the floor?

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy