Engine freeze for 2007 agreed

Posted by MarcLister 
Engine freeze for 2007 agreed
Date: August 07, 2006 06:25PM
Posted by: MarcLister
In my second exclusive exclusive I can exclusively reveal that the FIA and the GPMA have agreed to start the engine freeze from October 23rd 2006 thus bringing in the engine freeze earlier than planned. I think this is a good deal myself, if engine development becomes cheaper then back of the grid teams could potentially buy better engines from Ferrari/Renault/Mercedes etc and benefit from improved performance. The reduced costs of buying engines could also mean it would be easier for the new teams to join F1 and succeed?

[www.itv-f1.com]
Re: Engine freeze for 2007 agreed
Date: August 07, 2006 06:30PM
Posted by: Nerrazurri
So say ferrari or renault have a unit the produces 50bhp more than anyone else mercedes honda etc can't develop there engines to try and close the gap?

Interested to see how it works but feel it might make the gap from front to back bigger.

Does that also mean a new engine manufacturer can't enter between 07 and 09?

Date: August 07, 2006 06:34PM
Posted by: mikef1
I agree, while it is a good thing to cut costs, i wonder how it will affect the grid with teams like Mercedes who can't produce powerful engines.
Date: August 07, 2006 06:50PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
At least, Mercedes is in a year where their engine doesn't brake down all the time. If they can improve it a bit further till the end of the year, it won't be much worse than the Ferrari's and Renault's.

As for new companies entering, there's nothing that says other engine manufacturers can't enter.
Date: August 07, 2006 07:57PM
Nerrazurri Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> So say ferrari or renault have a unit the produces 50bhp more than
> anyone else mercedes honda etc can't develop there engines to try and
> close the gap?
>
> Interested to see how it works but feel it might make the gap from
> front to back bigger.
>
> Does that also mean a new engine manufacturer can't enter between 07
> and 09?
>
>
>
As Joe_Satriani said I don't think this stops a new engine manufacturer coming into the sport. They would just have to submit the engine designs on entry to F1 and not change the engines for the duration of the engine freeze.
Date: August 07, 2006 07:57PM
Posted by: bestobritish
Hmm not sure about this, though one thing i hate is the 19k RPM limit they will be putting in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 07, 2006 10:11PM
Posted by: marcl
so how are teams gonna catch up with that ferrari engine
Date: August 07, 2006 10:18PM
Posted by: pete-21
This is not good news for teams that need to develop more power/reliability, but it will sure help the teams with the best engines to stay ahead.

Not the way F1 should be going,

Damm I'll have to change my sig.

Jenson, Jenson, he's our man,
If he can't win it,
Someone else........er can?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2006 10:19PM by pete-21.
Date: August 07, 2006 11:16PM
Ferrari ain't that much better on engines. Aero is masking down a lot what the engines really do. Ferrari had a good design since the start, and Bridgestone improved a lot the last few races, while Michelin dropped down a bit, so you can't really tell how much difference there is from the Ferrari engine to the Renault one. Same with McLaren, who had a crappy car in the aero department at the start of the year.

I honestly think that they wouldn't be imposing the engine freeze if there was such a big discrepancy on performance. Bernie said lots of times that this is the right time to do it, cause all engines are more or less similar.
Date: August 08, 2006 06:35PM
Posted by: tripleM
"if engine development becomes cheaper then back of the grid teams could potentially buy better engines from Ferrari/Renault/Mercedes etc and benefit from improved performance."

I think i just saw a pig fly past my window.

Date: August 08, 2006 06:49PM
tripleM Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "if engine development becomes cheaper then back of the grid teams
> could potentially buy better engines from Ferrari/Renault/Mercedes etc
> and benefit from improved performance."
>
> I think i just saw a pig fly past my window.
>
>
>
Think I said that. What don't you agree with? With engines development frozen for a few years and therefore no engine upgrades allowed, I think it is easier for the top engine manufacturers to support more than one team. Ferrari are doing it. Toyota will next season. Renault possibly could.
Date: August 08, 2006 07:04PM
The engine development won't be frozen.

First there's time to prepare for 2007 and then move towards more fuel effecient engines and energy recovery systems in 2009.

So i'm sceptical on the idea of cost reduction.

Date: August 08, 2006 10:49PM
well rbr use the same spec engine as ferrari but acording to stories have to run theirs 500 rpm less thats y they want out the deal
Date: August 08, 2006 11:02PM
That's because they don't get the same spec as Ferrari currently have, otherwise they'd be happy with what they've got.
Date: August 08, 2006 11:31PM
I'm sure they know what contract they signed.

Date: August 09, 2006 12:09AM
they do get the same spec but for some reason can not run at the same revs
Date: August 09, 2006 12:30AM
Posted by: LS.
Williams are going to get the same factory engines as Toyota, so that means we'll be able to see 4 cars expiring in a race ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 09, 2006 03:34AM
Engine Freezing is not comfirmed btw. Just read it on F1-Live.
Date: August 09, 2006 10:38AM
"they do get the same spec but for some reason can not run at the same revs"

That's because it's not the exactly the same spec.
Date: August 09, 2006 10:54AM
Posted by: Nickv
Well maybe it is the same spec, but they just can't run it at the same revs. IIRC they had cooling problems at the beginning of the season.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy