Webber signs for Red Bull Racing

Posted by MarcLister 
Re: Webber signs for Red Bull Racing
Date: August 07, 2006 10:29PM
Posted by: Nickv
I hope they give Doornbos a chance, I think he is a decent driver.
Date: August 07, 2006 11:19PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
RedBull will have a good car next year. Adrien Newey has been working on the new car for the past 3-4 months now, and whatever engine they choose, Renault or Ferrari (Should be Ferrari), will be a good combo. I expect RBR to be getting a few podiums and maybe a win next year...

I think Webber did a good choice considering his options. Renault was always going to be either Heikki or Kimi anyway...
Date: August 07, 2006 11:43PM
Posted by: Muks_C
glad he's not going to waste the renault seat tbh. they already have one under-achiever in Fisi, they don't need another one. I hope Heikki is in Renault and kicks Fisi's ass.

and i never realised that he's (Webber) going back to the team he left (Jag), till Marc pointed it out.

as for Klien, i think he did ok, but i think i'd have Liuzzi rather than Speed in my team.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: August 07, 2006 11:56PM
Posted by: chet
Its amazing how people think Newey will make RebBull possible winners in one season.

For sure they will improve but no way to winners or podium contenders.

But then again, who predicted BAR in 04? Geoff worked wonders in one year there, but alot of credit has to go to Michelin as pre season testing the 005B showed :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 08, 2006 12:00AM
a LOT of credit for BAR's '04 performance must go to McLaren and Williams, for being inept for most of the season.

Date: August 08, 2006 12:11AM
Posted by: dangermouseaix
@ Muks C
And so Newey has to be credited for BARĀ“s 04 season hehe

Just joking! I think newey can bring a big improvement for Red Bull but I dont think they will win.
Date: August 08, 2006 12:55AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
Good Move for Webber i think him and Coulthard will work well together they both seem to have similar work ethic and red bull have really done well in their first and second years

Don't know what all this crap is about webber being an "under-achiever" is all about if his car could go a race distance he would have had at least three podium's this year and a swag of lesser point placings

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: August 08, 2006 01:08AM
Muks_C Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> a LOT of credit for BAR's '04 performance must go to McLaren and
> Williams, for being inept for most of the season.
>
>

Could the same be said when considering 2005 season...

Mclaren/Renault blah were complimented by a off BAR from 2004? Or.? :P

Or Ferrari?

You know full well that something along the lines of x team was good in (year) because y team wasnt as good ;-) But anyway.. I thought Newey was doing a RB2 update for Silverstone? did he? lol

Date: August 08, 2006 01:13AM
yeah, cos BAR have been one of the top teams of the past 10 years, haven't they ;)

BAR were good in 1 season, williams and mclaren have been good for many more season, so which team do you think is being complimented by the other's poor form?

i don't think it's mclaren and williams being complimented by BAR's poor performance.

ferrari were crap cos the car wasn't good and the michelin tyres were better than their BS's, nowt to do with BAR.

Date: August 08, 2006 01:22AM
i meant mclaren/renault good because ferrari crap ;-)

but yeah shup up! :P

Date: August 08, 2006 01:31AM
Posted by: Webber Fan
I think Mark proved this year how good driver he is. I must say Im not happy with this, I was hopeing to renault. Now I just hope Adrian will make super car and RELIABLE car.

[webberfanscreens.blogspot.com]
Date: August 08, 2006 01:41AM
chet Wrote:
> Its amazing how people think Newey will make RebBull possible winners
> in one season.
>
> For sure they will improve but no way to winners or podium
> contenders.
>
> But then again, who predicted BAR in 04? Geoff worked wonders in one
> year there, but alot of credit has to go to Michelin as pre season
> testing the 005B showed :P

RBR got a podium this year. Who would've thought that? Under special circunstamces, yes, but Button was also in special circunstamces in Hungary. Their car won't be class of the field, but it'll probably do a lot better than the current one is doing.

BTW, Newey was not going to try and update the RB02. Globo TV said back at Monaco, I think, that Newey was already working on the 2007 car, and I later read something that confirmed it at F1-live I think.
Date: August 08, 2006 01:43AM
Posted by: Slasher
Zep, "I should think they know a hell of a lot more about what they're doing than you do", bit rude dont you think?

What im working off is recent past history.

Rosberg beat Kovailnen in last years GP2 championship, and Hamilton isnt even leading this years series.

And Rosberg hasnt really set the F1 world alight this year has he?

What im saying is can Mclaren and Renault afford to, as you say, have a rookie to learn off an experienced person?

You would have to admit that a Raikkonen/Massa partnership looks a hell of a lot stronger than an Alonso/Hamilton or a Fisichella/Kovailnen partnership.

Now put Webber alongside Alonso or Fisichella in the above paragraph and you have a combination that looks stronger, and one able to challenge Ferrari.

But i suppose we will soon see.
Date: August 08, 2006 01:50AM
@Slasher: Erm, Hamilton is first place at Gp2, mate. Also, I agree, Rosberg did not make a first good year in F1. But he had to do first race with very little testing. Heikki is not going to have that. He's been a full year testing for Renault, and I think that will give him an extra edge for next year, and you'll see how he's going to do better than Fisichella.

McLaren won't have Hamilton at 2nd seat IMO. It's down to either Pedro or Gary. Hamilton needs a full year testing or a year at a lesser team.
Date: August 08, 2006 02:31AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Why can't RBR get a win next year? Has anybody here seen what Newey has designed? Does anyone question that RBR has money to spend? They got a podium this year, why not a win next?

They may be ready to knock Renault off their perch after Flavio retires at the end of this year. For sure I don't expect Fisi to be World Champ, and Heikki will have the same learning curve Nico has had, i.e. steep and difficult, and we've all seen this year the Renault CAN be beaten on the track....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: August 08, 2006 02:47AM
Posted by: Karan
looks like DC might be contemplating retirement in a year or two and Red Bull just want a guy with experience in there if/when that does happen, rather than having 2 rookies.

And just because Christian Horner has announced Klien is leaving Red Bull doesnt mean he cant go to STR. Horner can only make official press statements for Red Bull, not STR even though behind close doors theyre probably all privy to the driver information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2006 02:48AM by Karan.
Date: August 08, 2006 08:59AM
Posted by: marcl
the only real championship winning car newey has made since 2000 was last years mclaren so thats 1 car in 6 years.

Kimi was ok in his cars but others have said understeer and in dc case a loose rear end. Maybe he will be back at his best but he really only designed 4 good cars for mclaren in all his years there.
Date: August 08, 2006 11:13AM
Posted by: Abstraction
He did well at williams didn't he?

mixed feelings about webber @ rb... ironic how he ends up at a team he used to be in.

The weirdest thing is, i remember comments made about Melbourne 05 where Webber came 5th behind Coulthard, and comments were made how ironic he was beaten by his old team, shouldn't have left in the first place etc etc.

well... weird world isn't it.

Andrew. Australia.
Date: August 08, 2006 12:05PM
Posted by: J i m
Joe_Satriani Wrote:
> I agree, Rosberg did not make a first good year in F1. But he had to do first
> race with very little testing. Heikki is not going to have that. He's
> been a full year testing for Renault, and I think that will give him
> an extra edge for next year,

So Nico Rosberg didn't carry out lots of testing in the Williams during 2005, and didn't turn a wheel in 05/06 winter testing? Thanks for clearing that one up :)
Date: August 08, 2006 03:23PM
Posted by: Monza972
klien maybe testing for rbr team/or str
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy