Posted by: Nickv
Thank Heaven I don't live in the UK ;)
Re: Damon Hill set for racing return
Date: July 27, 2006 12:57AM
Posted by: LS.
mikef1 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>
> Yeah, probably. Btw when is the next GP Masters race?

13th August @ Silverstone

[www.gpmasters.com]

:)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 27, 2006 02:12AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I thought Silverstone race had been cancelled?
Date: July 27, 2006 04:05AM
Posted by: Senna
Mansell is way better than Hill, I'm pretty sure that he'll beat him :)

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: July 27, 2006 04:46AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
chet Wrote:
> But its HILL
>
> Hill is my first ever childhood hero, and last!
>
> His helmet actually makes me cry! Watching him makes me cry!

Chet, I have given you a bit of good natured shite in the past over your support of Button, but you and I are in the same boat where Damon is concerned! I too am a BIG Damon Hill fan and would love to see him racing in the Gp Masters series.

And if Prost did the same, WHOOT! Man, it might even be better to watch than actual current day F1.....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: July 27, 2006 07:53AM
Posted by: dolinseks
kimiraik Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> Watching him makes me cry!
>
>
> Nah, he was not that bad.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 09:56PM by kimiraik.

Lol, good one. ;)

Date: July 27, 2006 01:42PM
Posted by: The _F1_Lunatic
Joe_Satriani Wrote:
> I thought Silverstone race had been cancelled?

I believe Monza, which was going to be in June, was cancelled.

Date: July 27, 2006 02:03PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Ah yeah, thanks for the correction.
Date: August 01, 2006 12:25AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
How do I get to watch this then :S is it on any normal channels or freeview or anything like that? I don't think we even get freeview properly / half the freeview channels, since it's not officially in out area :(

H E L L O
Date: August 01, 2006 10:38PM
Posted by: pete-21
Find a friend with Sky & get him to record it, ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 10:39PM by pete-21.
Date: August 08, 2006 08:00PM
Damon Hill will test a Grand Prix Masters car on Thursday to familiarise himself with the 600bhp machine ahead of a possible race debut at Silverstone this weekend.

The 1996 world champion has expressed an interest in taking part in the series for retired Formula 1 drivers and has been in talks with the GP Masters organisers about joining the grid at his home event.

A spokesman for the series confirmed that Hill will try the car out during three hours of free practice on Thursday ahead of the official start of the meeting on Friday.

Organisers emphasised that at this stage Hill has not confirmed his intention to race.

However it is believed that he will use the test session to get a feel for the car and determine whether he wants to compete this weekend.

Hill last drove a single-seater when he sampled a GP2 car at Paul Ricard in June 2005.

He also had a recent outing in a Mercedes-Benz DTM car at Brands Hatch, an experience which he said made him have second thoughts about hanging up his helmet.

If he races this weekend, Hill will be the third former world champion in the GP Masters field, along with 1992 title-holder Nigel Mansell and 1972 and ’74 champ Emerson Fittipaldi.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 11, 2006 03:26PM
Posted by: Echo1
He wont be racing again any time soon. He doesn't have the urge to race at this time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 03:26PM by Echo1.
Date: August 11, 2006 04:07PM
Posted by: jonahm
you're right, he dosnt have the urge....oh yeah and he's slightly crap
Date: August 11, 2006 04:10PM
Posted by: marcl
maybe he just can not drive without all the electrics :)
Date: August 11, 2006 05:07PM
Damon Hill insists he currently has no plans to race again, but is not ruling out the possibility of competing in the Grand Prix Masters series altogether.

The 1996 world champion tested one of the 600bhp GP Masters machines at Silverstone on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s event for retired Formula 1 drivers.

There had been speculation that he would use the test session to get a feel for the car, before deciding whether he wanted to make his debut in the series alongside the likes of Nigel Mansell and Emerson Fittipaldi.

But in an exclusive interview to appear on ITV-F1.com on Friday, the BRDC president confirmed he would not be racing this weekend and said that while he still loves driving, he would not yet be going back on a vow he made when he retired from F1 in 1999.

“No I’m not going to be racing no,” he said.

“I took a decision not to race a long time ago.

“But it was definitely worth coming back and trying it out.

“So I’ve got to say a big thank you to the GP Masters for giving me the chance to sample it and give me something to think about, anyway.

“This series has created a space for old timers like myself to do what they love, so there's a possibility there.

“So I wouldn’t rule it out, but I can’t honestly say that right now I need to race.

“That is the bit that is missing.

“I love driving, I love pushing the limit and all the rest of it but racing for me…I don’t have an ambition to do it and I think that’s an important part of the equation.

“You never know,” he added.

Since calling time on his F1 career almost seven years ago, Hill has only made fleeting appearances behind the wheel of a race car – most recently in a Mercedes-Benz DTM machine at Brands Hatch.

The 45-year-old says he thoroughly enjoyed his run at Silverstone and was amazed at how quickly his racing driver instincts came flooding back to him after such a long time out of the cockpit.

“I thought it was fantastic,” he enthused.

“It’s thrilling to get back in a car after not having driven for so long and get familiar with that feeling of driving at high speed – you can see why you love doing it now.

“You just don’t forget.

“It’s just so ingrained, it’s extraordinary how it’s sort of all just there and the memories of how to do it, it’s still sort of hardwired into you.”

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 11, 2006 05:18PM
Posted by: mikef1
"maybe he just can not drive without all the electrics"

You what? Damon only used the electronic gizmos for one season in '93. I really hope he goes for it and races with the others but maybe his bad experience with Jordan in '99 has made him cautious about racing again if he thinks he's lost it, which i doubt he has.
Date: August 11, 2006 05:39PM
Posted by: marcl
i mean manual gears but just remembered it padle shift on the cars as well.

1999 was really bad but that was also down to him not wanting to be there he should have left. HHF showed us the car was ok
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy