Hang on a minute....

Posted by Lemming 
Hang on a minute....
Date: July 18, 2006 05:13PM
Posted by: Lemming
[www.pitpass.com]

So due to safety, they're messing about with the engine regs because cornering speeds are too high.

But the last time they tampered with the engine regs and gave us V8s, cornering speeds are now much greater than last year...

Fair enough on the single tyre supplier though, tyres certainly don't help to produce any great racing, they're just boring black things that we all sort of know what they do but just aren't really interesting so I'm happy that everyone's going for the same tyre..... I just think it shouldn't be Bridgestone or Michelin because that'll mean certain teams get an advantage...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2006 05:14PM by Lemming.
Re: Hang on a minute....
Date: July 18, 2006 07:29PM
Posted by: tripleM
It's not really much of a safety issue, since i feel that a control tyre will be of great help.

It's a question of finding an engine supplier for potential entries.

Date: July 18, 2006 07:36PM
Posted by: marcl
well the f1 tried to slow down the cars and they did not the straight but back fired a bit as they are now faster in corners lol

one day they will wake up and see they need to cut down areo grip like in gp2
Date: July 18, 2006 07:54PM
Posted by: mikef1
Yeah they reduced engine power by getting rid of (unrestricted) V10s and didn't do anything about the aero and now they have cars going faster than ever through corners.Why can't the FIA just ban all winglets, fins and bargeboards etc, then you'd have nicer looking cars and less downforce.
The control tyre is a good idea imo but i wish it wasn't Bridgestone supplying them, i'm sure Ferrari will have an advantage next year.
Date: July 18, 2006 08:01PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
You can't really use all this aero crap with slicks anyway (re: 2008 regs), cos the thing will just be a complete ass to control if you're following a car. Look at how the GP2 cars handle with as little aero grip as they have, and they slide around like nothing on this earth, if you're stuck in dirty air, then you'll fly off the track
Date: July 19, 2006 10:35AM
but they can overtake follow close and use driver skill to control sliding.

It was like that in f1 before sorted the men out from the boys.

Hamilton claimed it was easy to drive an f1 car and look new drivers get to within 1 sec of the race drivers after one day it never used to be like that.

Probably now days the hardest thing to get used to is the brakes.

The only thing i dont like about the engine freeze is if u make a down on power engine thats it tough u will be down on power for years, how is this good for the sport?

The only way engine development freeze will work is if all teams use the same engine and simply replace the name on the cover but this does nothing for the sport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2006 11:00AM by marcl.
Date: July 19, 2006 10:56AM
Posted by: chet
Well Ive heard the hardest thing to get used to is the brakes ;) :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 19, 2006 11:16AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
The cornering speeds are becoming silly. I think a freeze on tyre development would be the way to go but i guess it would be hard to enforce. I found this funny:

"yet cornering speeds have increased nonetheless, despite there being more than 200 bhp less available."

The cars can still get to over 300 kph so i dont see how the cornering speeds were meant to drop just because they cars had less HP.
Date: July 19, 2006 11:39AM
Lol.

I had a stupid idea...

What about a generic tyre that all the teams will use for all the races.

Ie the same tyre compound etc for everyrace? ;) I mean.. no tyre testing :P

But then we would have alot of Indy 05s I guess, so yeah, its a dumb idea.

Date: July 19, 2006 11:41AM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Well if you catered for the weak sidewall that Michelin suffered from, it would work, but performance would be SERIOUSLY compromised at circuits where a softer tire really is needed
Date: July 19, 2006 11:58AM
Posted by: torana_05
i like the ideas of one tyre, not either michelin or brigdestone, and gettin rid of all the winglets, bargebords and fins so the cars look like they did in the 90s. wot about skinnier tyres?

i think the fia should stop worrying so much about safety issues, they have wrecked the sport enough without putting more safety measures. i know loosing a driver is a terrible thing but all drivers know that they r risking their lives in motorracing and thats the risk they take and thats y the get paid the big bucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2006 12:11PM by torana_05.
Date: July 19, 2006 12:09PM
Posted by: matt3454
just stick fiat punto tyres on them all...

but then ferrari might have an advantage

Date: July 19, 2006 12:12PM
rofl!

Date: July 19, 2006 12:18PM
Imola was not really caused by car safety, yes part of it was. But was mainly down to the way the track was designed with not enough run off. That was the same in all 3 crashes and the one in monaco as well.

As BAR showed in 2004 it does not take long to get used to the new brand of tyres and williams at the start of this year.

Ferrari will be using the same compounds as all other teams as well so they wont have tyres made just for them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2006 12:46PM by marcl.
Date: July 19, 2006 12:52PM
marcl Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Ferrari will be using the same compounds as all other teams as well so
> they wont have tyres made just for them
>
>

You sure about that?

I mean Ferrari and Bridgestones success is amazing, so why not continue?

There is no doubt, and everyone knows this that equal treatment will not happen.

Like, I have a feeling Renault get better treated by Michelin that the others.

Date: July 19, 2006 01:05PM
Quite right Chet, why do you think that so many teams left Bridgestone and went to Michelin, it's because they obviously favoured Ferrari.
Date: July 19, 2006 01:19PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
chet Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> marcl Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Ferrari will be using the same compounds as all other teams as
> well so
> > they wont have tyres made just for them
> >
> >
>
> You sure about that?
>
> I mean Ferrari and Bridgestones success is amazing, so why not
> continue?
>
> There is no doubt, and everyone knows this that equal treatment will
> not happen.
>
> Like, I have a feeling Renault get better treated by Michelin that the
> others.
>
>

If Renault where treated better we would know about it. You think Mr Dennis would let sucha thing just slide by esp when he was contesting the title last year? No way.
I also think the Ferrari/Bridgestone bumming has stopped especially with Williams and Toyota back onboard, Ferrari now share some of their tyre testing data with Williams, Toyota and Midland i believe so as to make a better tyre and that is evident from them trouncing Michelin on their home track.
Date: July 19, 2006 02:18PM
If u read what was said when the contract was anounced.

Next year only 2 compounds of dry tyres will be taken to each gp. All teams will have to use one of these compounds and they will be of different construction to this year.

Yes they could all be designed around ferrari but other teams will just have to sort their cars out so they work on them. Was the same in 1999 when goodyear pulled out and was the same in 2000 when michelin joined. They will all have the winter to test.

Last year the tyres suited mclaren better than alot of teams. In 1998 and 1999 bridgestones main team was mclaren they got all the lastest stuff and tyres were designed for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2006 02:40PM by marcl.
Date: July 19, 2006 03:42PM
Just like Champ Car then, that sounds like a good idea to me. That and reducing the amount of tyre testing should improve things.
Date: July 19, 2006 05:36PM
Posted by: JPMrules
It think Honda's project is not that silly after all. They are aiming for the 400, not 220mph.
Formula 1 cars have never achieved such a high top speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy