What a surprise: Bridgestone wins F1 tyre contract

Posted by Muks_C 
What a surprise: Bridgestone wins F1 tyre contract
Date: July 05, 2006 04:38PM
Posted by: Muks_C
from [news.bbc.co.uk]

"Japanese company Bridgestone has won the contract to be Formula One's exclusive tyre supplier from 2008.

Bridgestone, who this year supply only Ferrari among the top teams, was handed a three-year contract by motorsport's governing body the FIA on Wednesday.

The deal means it will be F1's only supplier from next year, as Michelin is quitting at the end of this season.

Electronics giant Microsoft was chosen as single supplier for engine electronic control units.

Michelin, which won the title with Renault last year and is leading again in 2006, does not approve of the decision to use control tyres in F1 and did not tender for the contract.

It said in a statement: "The change of Formula One rules bringing about a monopoly in tyres is completely contrary to principles.

"Formula One should be a place were advanced technologies compete as a means of improving motorsport." "

=================

i sort of agree with Michelin,although a single tyre removes the swinging of the pendulum one way to the other at certain race tracks.

however, i think 4 of 5 suppliers would be good, with maybe 2 teams maximum per supplier, so we wouldn't see the polar opposites at the tracks, where one set of teams has a clear advantage, then at another track, the advantage shifts to the other teams.

there should either be 1 supplier, or 4 or 5, 2 just doesn't work.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2006 04:39PM by Muks_C.
Microsoft is the bigger announcement here.

Microsoft? OMG...

Then Kimi won't retire with an blown up engine but with a blue screen and asking if he wants to send an error report ;)
Nah he'll just crash ;)
Plus imagine the incompatible os's & software on the engineer laptops on the grid before the races?
I can't believe thar "Uncle Bill" has finally entered F1, but I never thought it would be like that!

Laters,

Montana_UK
lol so obvious all the Microsoft jokes. Microsoft products are alot more stable and secure than ppl seem to give them credit for. All these blue screens and that in my experinece are pre win xp. Ive never had a bsod with win xp.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Bill Gates has taken rapid!!!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
I agree with Muks, having for example, Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli all in at once would be awesome.

Okay, so Microshaft are supplying the ECU software. And this will run on the ultra-stable teams systems (mostly using Linux)? Then there's the clear problem for McLaren and their sponsor Sun Microsystems (the almost good guys).
No, the end is nigh my friends. If anything will turn F1 into a complete farce its the 'undocumented features' that come in all MS crapware.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Microsoft will do a good job. They don't play around with their stuff...

And I think the move to a single tyre supplier will actually be beneficial...
Think about the responsibility that is now placed on Bridgestone's and Microsoft's shoulders. Their mistakes could decide the world championship in the years to come.

For example, the 'control' fuel rig has already influenced results in the past.
microsoft will probably out source it to someone else i have never even heard of them making ecu's before.

all drivers will have blue visors
Re: What a surprise: Bridgestone wins F1 tyre contract
Date: July 06, 2006 10:53AM
Posted by: chet
Maybe they will release betas to SA, or GP2 teams? ;)

Williams and TF saw the bridgestone deal a mile away or 200 ;)! :P

They should be interesting next year.

Honda will probably turn up to melbourne with a 005 :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
TimmyB Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Think about the responsibility that is now placed on Bridgestone's and
> Microsoft's shoulders. Their mistakes could decide the world
> championship in the years to come.

but they won't care, because their products will be used by the winners anyway.

like whether Renault or McLaren win a race, Michelin don't care, as long as their tyre wins.

but i sort of see your point, if an ecu fecks up on 1 car causing it to lose, they will be blamed.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
So it's actually McLaren Electronic Systems.

Good choice.

Yeah. Microsoft branded. MES supply the current grid anyway.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
[www.pitpass.com]

Laters,

Montana_UK
"lol so obvious all the Microsoft jokes. Microsoft products are alot more stable and secure than ppl seem to give them credit for. All these blue screens and that in my experinece are pre win xp. Ive never had a bsod with win xp."

then YOU HAVN'T LIVED!!!!!!!!!!!

If you havnt got a bsod from xp yet then your not pusing your pc hard enough;)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
lol

i thought the single tyre thing was gonna happen in 2007?

in the itv report mr bridgestone says "Bridgestone is delighted to have been selected as the sole official tyre supplier to the FIA Formula 1 World Championship for the seasons of 2008 to 2010"

???

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
It will happen in 2007 because Michelin is pulling out at the end of the year. The contract was from 2008, and had another company won, Bridgestone would have been the only supplier next year, then the new guys the year after.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy