Driving/Racing Styles

Posted by mick_schumacher 
Driving/Racing Styles
Date: May 15, 2006 10:33AM
Posted by: mick_schumacher
Can somebody explain the differenece between driving styles of Kimi Raikkonen, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso? I wonder no matter how good a driver arrives in F1 like Alonso, Schumi is always able to match them if not better them.

Re: Driving/Racing Styles
Date: May 15, 2006 10:39AM
Posted by: vesuvius
well dont know the differences but Alonso's driving style is very strange according to everyone in Formula 1.Some people says that it would be impossible to drive with that kind of driving style if there wouldnt be traction control.About Schumi matching Alonso and Kimi yes he does match with them if the car is as good as theirs but not if it's as bad as it was last year (you cant win a championship title with a bad car)
Date: May 15, 2006 11:30AM
Posted by: Lemming
i think all the best drivers can change their driving style depending on the car - like if they have tyre problems or whatever.

Date: May 15, 2006 12:17PM
Posted by: Peat

Kimi - likes oversteer
Fernando - loves the understeer
Schumy - likes (and usually has) a neutrally handling car but can pretty much adapt to anything

Date: May 15, 2006 12:35PM
Posted by: tripleM
Fred has adjusted his style to get the maximum out of the Renault.

Moving on to the next car he will do the same.

Edit:basically what Lemming said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2006 12:36PM by tripleM.
Date: May 15, 2006 01:03PM
Posted by: mikef1
"Schumy - likes (and usually has) a neutrally handling car but can pretty much adapt to anything"

He is famous for liking a "pointy" setup which is set towards oversteer. Why would Alonso want understeer? He has a very aggressive turn in which is characteristic of his style whereas Kimi and Michael turn in more smoothly. However all three are great at adapting to cars and being able to deal with handling problems.
Date: May 15, 2006 01:40PM
Posted by: Peat
'He has a very aggressive turn in which is characteristic of his style'

Yeah he piles on max lock and waits for the front tyres to bite pretty much. im suprised he can make it work so well without knackering his front tyres.

Date: May 15, 2006 01:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah that's cos he builds-in understeer, so he can throw the wheel into the corner. Brundle always comments on how strange this is, but it works for him so they stick to it.

if he did that in say Kimi's car without adjusting the setup, he's spin the first time he did it that violently.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 15, 2006 01:58PM
Alexander Wurz said in interview at Europe that if Fernando would try McLaren now with Kimi's setups he would have hard times and same if Kimi would jump to Fernando's car . Alex also said that Fisico is zero and not hero because R26 is made for Alonso's aggressive style and not Fisico's smooth style and he (Wurz)also said that Alonso style is so wierd that he cant understand it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2006 01:58PM by vesuvius.
Date: May 15, 2006 02:03PM
exactly, so what the hell was Fisi on about pre-season, saying the car is made for "his style"?

it clearly is made for FA because he is the one who has the mental capacity and talent to be strong throughout a whole season, not just for 1 race in a season, so it will be designed for him more than it is designed for Fisi.

Date: May 15, 2006 02:29PM
Posted by: marcl
its been said many times now without tc alonso would spin all the time he uses it all the time more than most
Date: May 15, 2006 02:31PM
Posted by: Lemming
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its been said many times now without tc alonso
> would spin all the time he uses it all the time
> more than most

yeah, but maybe he throws it around because he can? if tc wasn't there, i'm sure he'd adapt...

Date: May 15, 2006 02:58PM
yes he would, people go on about jb so much saying he does not use tc maybe is he did he would go faster, its there for a reason so use it
Date: May 15, 2006 03:25PM
Posted by: mikef1
They can control how much TC to use and/or switch it off all together if they want but there will always be an advantage in using TC. To my ears it sounds like the new V8s are using more TC than the V10s of last year but i could be wrong.
Date: May 15, 2006 04:48PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
vesuvius Wrote:
> well dont know the differences but Alonso's
> driving style is very strange according to
> everyone in Formula 1.Some people says that it
> would be impossible to drive with that kind of
> driving style if there wouldnt be traction
> control.

This is the reason I don't really rate alonso :( Too reliant on traction control. I would like to see where he is without it (although obviously that's never going to happen :( )

H E L L O
Date: May 15, 2006 04:48PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
>Alex also said that Fisico is zero and not hero because R26 is made for Alonso's
>aggressive style and not Fisico's smooth style and he (Wurz)also said that Alonso
>style is so wierd that he cant understand it.

Hmm this is a shame, poor fisichella :(

H E L L O

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2006 04:54PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: May 15, 2006 04:56PM
Daniel Knott Wrote:
> vesuvius Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > well dont know the differences but Alonso's
> > driving style is very strange according to
> > everyone in Formula 1.Some people says that
> it
> > would be impossible to drive with that kind
> of
> > driving style if there wouldnt be traction
> > control.
>
> This is the reason I don't really rate alonso Too
> reliant on traction control. I would like to see
> where he is without it (although obviously that's
> never going to happen )
>

are you sure ? I think it will happend in 2008 when traction control will maybe not be allowed anymore.
Date: May 15, 2006 05:00PM
alonso goes to a corner breaks and just yanks the wheel near enough full lock and the car just turns no understeer nothing.

If he ever had a car that had understeer he would not be able to drive like that
Date: May 15, 2006 05:04PM
it is setup to understeer, so he can put way over the top steering lock into it. they set it up to understeer so he can get away with his strange style of too much steering lock.

Date: May 15, 2006 05:12PM
nice bit of brake-testing here by FA on Klien in preseason testing:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2006 05:12PM by Muks_C.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy