Stalling Diffusers *Poss Spoiler*

Posted by chet 
Stalling Diffusers *Poss Spoiler*
Date: May 13, 2006 04:32PM
Posted by: chet
So... as MB said a reason for Ferraris straight line pace could be something in the Undertray the no-one can see etc....

So im guessing he means something like a stalling diffuser.

But how would it work?! Anyone care to explain?

And please I would appreciate it if there were no replies refering to vortex generaters and well you know. If anyone knows then say if not dont.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Stalling Diffusers *Poss Spoiler*
Date: May 13, 2006 04:55PM
Posted by: NickKK
Ferrari aRe tEh HaxX0r$ OmGZ0rzz n%%,

if they are cheating the FIA would have caught them by now and let's face it Ferarri are about as scrutinized as satellite data is, whether it's some new plank or just going for more straightline speed I don't think really matters..

Date: May 13, 2006 05:04PM
I didnt say they were cheating, it was a suggestion from MB that they could be using such a device.

I just want to know how it would work.

Date: May 13, 2006 05:25PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Is this thread anything to do with Vortex Generators??

Date: May 13, 2006 05:27PM
Posted by: marcl
he is guessing

did u see the williams side pod areo stuff moving as well

and renualts rear wing bloody hell was moving like hell the wing end plates are moving in and out and the wing is shaking like hell

They have a speed advtange as they have done a better job with the engine now simple as that, its to do with the speed they get onto the str8 at and how much wing they run.

ferrari have gone for straight line speed and honda for example have gone for corner speed hence ferrari were not even in the top 10 for corner 7 apex speed.
Date: May 13, 2006 06:08PM
Posted by: Muks_C
never heard of a stalling diffuser so can't comment on that.

but onboard one of the renaults, did you see the adjustable front-wong flap woving down (relative to the nose-camera) aty high speed, then under braking moving upwards back to its normal position?

i'm not saying they're cheating but it just shows that every car has flexing/moving wings that are easily noticeable.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 13, 2006 10:05PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Like the flaps on the front wing of the Ferrari? I'm sure I saw them move.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 13, 2006 10:12PM
i mean the light blue element in this picture:

it is adjustable anyway (when they adjust it in the pitstops), but it also goes down at high speed, and comes back up under braking and at low speed. but that happens on every car. the amount this wing moves must be within the limits though. it's really clear on an onboard shot of most cars (well those that have a camera mounted on the nose anyway).

Date: May 13, 2006 10:16PM
Posted by: mikef1
Stalling diffusers would take the air from the diffuser and stall it creating massive downforce.
Date: May 13, 2006 10:58PM
Posted by: NickKK
[library.witpress.com]

I'm sure this will satisfy your cravings ;)

Date: May 13, 2006 11:30PM
Posted by: tripleM
I thought that stalling means that a diffuser stops producing DF?

Date: May 13, 2006 11:46PM
Nice pdf Nick

Thats the point trippleM... And then produce little drag... But is such a device possible?

Date: May 14, 2006 12:07AM
Posted by: tripleM
you should e-mail Ferrari ;-)

Date: May 14, 2006 12:47AM
Posted by: loren
The '93 Williams used to be able to do this, I think by lifting the rear of the car on the straights using the active ride. Not sure how you would do it with a passive suspension though.
Date: May 14, 2006 12:53AM
Posted by: The _F1_Lunatic
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like the flaps on the front wing of the Ferrari?
> I'm sure I saw them move.

Well they showed the on-board cam from Massa's front wing today and I couldn't see it "flexing" like in Malaysia.

Date: May 14, 2006 12:56AM
Posted by: keiran
The problem the FIA have is they can't really measure the flex of the wings. Currently all they do is put some weights on the wing (something like 50kgs) an F1 car deals with far more pressure than 50kgs so offcourse the wing isn't going to flex much with only 50kgs on it. It's one of these rules which all teams are probaly breaking. It probaly just shows up better on the Ferrari, maybe down to a better areo package and engine.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: May 14, 2006 01:02AM
Posted by: Vader
How is it cheating when it passes the official FIA tests? If the FIA says that it mustn't flex when a 50kg weight is being applied and it doesn't it is within the rules and thus no cheating.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 14, 2006 10:29AM
Posted by: marcl
they recon by monaco most top teams will have this system. ferrari dont even has the seamless shift gear box yet they will be even faster then.

but u can see by the speed of toyota as well the bridgestones are working very well here
Date: May 14, 2006 05:38PM
Keiran and Vader are right, but the rules do say that aero devices mustn't deform to reduce drag at high speed. they can only test it when the car is stationary, but the 50kg hanging off the wing must be a scaled down version of what they expect at high speed, so with 50kg it can't deflect more than 0.5mm, so at 180mph it mustn't deflect more than say 3mm (or whatever the exact limits are).

the downforce is a couple of tonnes at high speed IIRC, so of course the wings will flex with that kind of loading on them.

Date: May 14, 2006 10:11PM
loren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The '93 Williams used to be able to do this, I
> think by lifting the rear of the car on the
> straights using the active ride. Not sure how you
> would do it with a passive suspension though.

Wow :) But would that be counted as a moving aero device?

I thought I would get a better response in here.

I mean there are quite a few people who supposedly know a good amount of knowledge...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy